Yianni arbitration set

Breaking News.....

Dan Gable (Iowa St. Univ) just threw a brick to challenge some calls in his shocking upset loss to Larry Owings (Univ. of Washington) 49 years ago.

The 142-pound title match upset took place at the 1970 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships at Northwestern University on Saturday, March 28, 1970.

As the match officials are no longer with us, the committee is asking for help from anyone who may have had a really good seat at the event.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily like it, but I'll be glad to get it over and done. USA!
I like it for one reason- it sets a precedent that they aren't afraid to overturn mistakes. This wasn't an incorrect call, it was ignoring the rules of the match itself. I think it's important we can correct that.

I like it for one reason- it sets a precedent that they aren't afraid to overturn mistakes. This wasn't an incorrect call, it was ignoring the rules of the match itself. I think it's important we can correct that.
Understood Yank, and I absolutely, 'get it.' The, 'precedent' is what makes me wary. :unsure:

I love it. This has been argued ad nauseum ever since mid-June on multiple wrestling forums. Strangely, the PSU forum I go to has never had a thread on it. In the Final X thread they kicked it around a few days trashing Cornell coach, Koll, for crying like a baby and having the nerve to complain about the irregularities. It also has been discussed very little on Yappi. Yianni vs Zain matches are some of the best, perhaps the best, USA senior rivalry matches I can remember. Now we get at least one more and maybe two more this year. Yianni now leads in the series 2-1 but Zain leads in the Final X 1-0. I hope it goes 3 with Yianni coming out on top. But if Zain wins I'll gladly get on his bandwagon.

Zain the king of the eye poke. We can thank him for the hands to the face rule being called over and over in college now... hope yanni takes this.

PSU boys aren't Happy in the Valley.

"The arbitrator was Matthew Mitten.
He has experience disputes with sports disputes in general, but has never before arbitrated a wrestling dispute. (According to his link, he's previously arbitrated disputes involving bobsled & skeleton, Paralympics (track & field), gymnastics, judo, speedskating, diving, taekwondo, volleyball, track & field, and table tennis -- but not wrestling.)"
" He's an experienced sports arbitrator and teaches sports law classes at Marquette. Just so there's some grist for the conspiracy mill, he went to THE Ohio State University." Bwahahahahahahahh!!!!!
EDIT: "In his book, 'Sports Law and Regulation', Matthew Mitten discusses numerous cases involving wrestling, most notably the Sieracki/Lindland 76 kg GC controversy for the 2000 Olympics spot.
He has also been involved in the tOSU sexual abuse case involving wrestling team members from the '70s and '80s."

Last edited:
"The arbitrator was Matthew Mitten.
He has experience disputes with sports disputes in general, but has never before arbitrated a wrestling dispute. (According to his link, he's previously arbitrated disputes involving bobsled & skeleton, Paralympics (track & field), gymnastics, judo, speedskating, diving, taekwondo, volleyball, track & field, and table tennis -- but not wrestling.)"
" He's an experienced sports arbitrator and teaches sports law classes at Marquette. Just so there's some grist for the conspiracy mill, he went to THE Ohio State University." Bwahahahahahahahh!!!!!
This just keeps getting better.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I read on another forum that Team USA leaves for Worlds two weeks before the event (9/14), so that would suggest that they would wrestle by the end of the month. Technically, Zain doesn't qualify for a delayed wrestle-off (like Dake) b/c he's not a returning World medalist. However, I would think that the arbitrator would try to accommodate him somewhat.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I read on another forum that Team USA leaves for Worlds two weeks before the event (9/14), so that would suggest that they would wrestle by the end of the month. Technically, Zain doesn't qualify for a delayed wrestle-off (like Dake) b/c he's not a returning World medalist. However, I would think that the arbitrator would try to accommodate him somewhat.
The team has to be decided before the acclimation camp, no exceptions (according to their own rules). So I would expect Yianni and Zain to wrestle literally the day before the team leaves, probably in Colorado Springs.

MP should have done an emoji with a wink and a nod. Oh wait...he did.

I’ve always treated crooked bdhof, loser that he is, with the utmost respect. Yet now, the no good, pathetic, scoundrel is making fun of my honest mistake.

You don’t build yourself up by tearing others down. And no one likes bdhof and everyone loves me!
So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited:
Can’t guess a score but I’ll take Yianni in 2 straight. That’s my best guess but Zain winning the 2nd or 3rd bout wouldn’t surprise me. And a Zain MFF wouldn’t surprise me either.