Why move HS boys finals to Sunday?

Dirteater

Not trying to start an argument lol.
But why did OHSAA move the Boys HS BB finals to a Friday-Sunday schedule in 2021 and been that way ever since I believe?
I’m sure it’s been chatter about in here before. Just need someone to remind me why they did that.

Teachers/Coaches were having difficulty leaving school for 2 days under the old format. Heard about a number of coaches where the administration said not at all. Some were allowed to take personal days. This decision was under way before the move to Dayton.

Teachers/Coaches were having difficulty leaving school for 2 days under the old format. Heard about a number of coaches where the administration said not at all. Some were allowed to take personal days. This decision was under way before the move to Dayton.
That's absolutely not true lol. It was never Friday-Sunday when the tourney was in C-bus....and the girls are still Thurs-Sat in Dayton. They moved the boys to to Friday-Sunday because UD arena has NCAA games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. They use an NCAA labeled court and said there is no way they could change out the court and also get rid of all the NCAA "advertising and media stuff" by Thursday AM in time to play OHSAA games there

That's absolutely not true lol. It was never Friday-Sunday when the tourney was in C-bus....and the girls are still Thurs-Sat in Dayton. They moved the boys to to Friday-Sunday because UD arena has NCAA games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. They use an NCAA labeled court and said there is no way they could change out the court and also get rid of all the NCAA "advertising and media stuff" by Thursday AM in time to play OHSAA games there
Didn't say it was Fri.-Sunday in C-Bus. The cost of Schott vs UD arena was also a big factor. Attendance with Coaches and the General Public was dwindling. So if you think it was all about the NCAA tournament calling the OHSAA tournament dates I beg to differ. This conversation went on for awhile with Ross-Snodgrass-Ute at the OHSAA. I trust my sources and yes the OHSAA leadership wants to have the best situation for HS coaches to attend. Snodgrass and Ute were both HS basketball coaches.

Didn't say it was Fri.-Sunday in C-Bus. The cost of Schott vs UD arena was also a big factor. Attendance with Coaches and the General Public was dwindling. So if you think it was all about the NCAA tournament calling the OHSAA tournament dates I beg to differ. This conversation went on for awhile with Ross-Snodgrass-Ute at the OHSAA. I trust my sources and yes the OHSAA leadership wants to have the best situation for HS coaches to attend. Snodgrass and Ute were both HS basketball coaches.
Then explain why the girls aren't playing Friday-Sunday? If UD would give up the First Four (which will never happen, or if the tourney ever moves to a different venue, the OHSAA would go back to Thurs-Sat in a minute. A lot of schools and their fans aren't happy with the possibility of playing on Sunday......but they obviously have no choice. It's obvious by the Sunday attendance that it's not a huge draw for fans either....unless your team happens to be playing in the game.

Then explain why the girls aren't playing Friday-Sunday? If UD would give up the First Four (which will never happen, or if the tourney ever moves to a different venue, the OHSAA would go back to Thurs-Sat in a minute. A lot of schools and their fans aren't happy with the possibility of playing on Sunday......but they obviously have no choice. It's obvious by the Sunday attendance that it's not a huge draw for fans either....unless your team happens to be playing in the game.
True, the D1 final on Saturday night was a much bigger draw then on Sunday evening

This is much more similar AAU schedules and is intended to make the players feel comfortable with their schedules.

I'm not a fan of the AM games, whatever day, at least allow the kids to wake up fully.

True, the D1 final on Saturday night was a much bigger draw then on Sunday evening
Centerville playing helped boost the crowd at the Saturday semi-final, but I agree the Sunday 8:30p tipoff is not attractive at all for out-of-town teams, their fans, or local neutral fans interested in the game.

Last edited:
The Sunday 8:30p tipoff for the D1 is definitely not attractive time for out-of-town teams, their fans, and even local neutral fans.

Centerville playing helped boost the crowd at the Saturday semi-final, but I agree the Sunday 8:30p tipoff is not attractive at all for out-of-town teams, their fans, or local neutral fans interested in the game.
The D1 final at 8:30 on Saturday was always the lowest attended final when the games were in Columbus. Most of the "neutral" fans would leave so they didn't have to spend another night in a hotel. Imagine St Ignatius playing at 8:30. Best case scenario the game is over at 10.....trophy presentation, press conference and showers and they are lucky to get out by 11. 3+ hour ride home. And school at 8am Monday.

Will they do
div 7, 6, 5, 4 on Sat
div 3,2,1 on Sun next year?
It will be interesting to see what they decide. I would think that they'd play semi-finals on Tuesday and Wednesday and then the finals on Friday and Saturday.....but who knows. The OHSAA has done some crazy stuff in the past.....this may be no different lol

I would think they'd mix them up a little bit.....I could see 7, 5, 4 and 2 on one day and 6, 3 and 1 the next or something like that.

It will be interesting to see what they decide. I would think that they'd play semi-finals on Tuesday and Wednesday and then the finals on Friday and Saturday.....but who knows. The OHSAA has done some crazy stuff in the past.....this may be no different lol

I would think they'd mix them up a little bit.....I could see 7, 5, 4 and 2 on one day and 6, 3 and 1 the next or something like that.
Yea, this was me basing it off reports semi finals will be week prior.

Will they do
div 7, 6, 5, 4 on Sat
div 3,2,1 on Sun next year?
Imo, 1 game Friday evening, having those 2 teams semi’s on Tuesday before.

3 games on Saturday 12:00,3:30, 7:00?

3 games on Sunday and getting teams heading home no later than 8:00 pm Sunday or sooner from Dayton.
10:30, 2:00, 5:00 or 5:30?

Sunday at 8:30pm for the biggest game in the state is criminal stuff
I'll disagree. Just because it's D1 dosn't mean it's the biggest game in the State. And as somebody mentioned earlier, when the D1 final was on Saturday night, it didn't mean big crowds. A decent number of neutral fans didn't hang around for the last game. I'm not lying when i tell you that fans would leave their game 12 tickets on the wall in front of the Schott.

Girls' attendance has always been bad. Have you ever attended? I have. The Saturday night D1 final was rarely well attended the past 20 years.

Imagine St Ignatius playing at 8:30. Best case scenario the game is over at 10.....trophy presentation, press conference and showers and they are lucky to get out by 11. 3+ hour ride home. And school at 8am Monday.
the pearl clutching on stuff like this is always hilarious to me. if you don't think that a decent chunk of those teenage boys are still awake between the hours of 11 PM to 2 AM, and then get up and go to school in the morning on any normal day youre out of your mind.

the pearl clutching on stuff like this is always hilarious to me. if you don't think that a decent chunk of those teenage boys are still awake between the hours of 11 PM to 2 AM, and then get up and go to school in the morning on any normal day youre out of your mind.
School administrators have been known to "excuse" teams from attendance in some situations. Guessing a simple " no need to report until Tuesday would work.

The D1 final at 8:30 on Saturday was always the lowest attended final when the games were in Columbus. Most of the "neutral" fans would leave so they didn't have to spend another night in a hotel. Imagine St Ignatius playing at 8:30. Best case scenario the game is over at 10.....trophy presentation, press conference and showers and they are lucky to get out by 11. 3+ hour ride home. And school at 8am Monday.
If Ignatius doesn't beat Hayes, the situation won't exist. Besides, if they are in the final game, no one from the school will complain. First things first - they are facing a team that has only lost one game, which will require an all-out effort, or they will have all of Sunday to rest before classes on Mon.

I was told last weekend by a district board member - who has pull in the OHSAA office - the state semifinals will be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with 3 championship games on Friday and 4 on Saturday. The semifinal matchups will be determined by the least amount of travel and facility availability, as is done in football. (For example, using that philosophy the boys D1 semifinals presumably would have been Ignatius-Whitmer and Centerville-Delaware Hayes.)
This discussion took place at the girls state tournament; therefore, do not assume it will be the exact same for boys, but I don't have any reason to believe it won't either (in other words, a definite maybe).
None of this has been finalized, however.

I'll disagree. Just because it's D1 dosn't mean it's the biggest game in the State. And as somebody mentioned earlier, when the D1 final was on Saturday night, it didn't mean big crowds. A decent number of neutral fans didn't hang around for the last game. I'm not lying when i tell you that fans would leave their game 12 tickets on the wall in front of the Schott.
Regardless, those D1 games draw bigger crowds than folks realize. Look back at the attendance numbers per game each year.

Regardless, those D1 games draw bigger crowds than folks realize. Look back at the attendance numbers per game each year.
Last year the D3 final at 5:30 had 5900.....D1 at 8:00 had 3900....the lowest of the 4 finals. I went to the tourney in Columbus for 20+ straight years from 1976 until the late 90'. Normally went to at least 10 of the 12 games. I can assure you that in almost all of those years when the D1 final was the late game on Saturday that it was the lowest attendance of the day. Back when the tourney was at St John Arena is wasn't uncommon to pay $30+ for a good seat for the final games.....but you could normally get into the D1 game for $5.....or often less. You could pick tickets up on the ground and walk in.

This is much more similar AAU schedules and is intended to make the players feel comfortable with their schedules.

I'm not a fan of the AM games, whatever day, at least allow the kids to wake up fully.
Are you of the opinion that all kids sleep thru the first 3 classes of the day. Most go to school by 7:30am but you think they cannot play a game at 10:45am?

Are you of the opinion that all kids sleep thru the first 3 classes of the day. Most go to school by 7:30am but you think they cannot play a game at 10:45am?
No ,I'm not of that opinion. My opinion of the AM games stems from two things, natural circadian rhythms and experience with AAU and early morning games. It's just not going to be the best basketball for either team.

I was told last weekend by a district board member - who has pull in the OHSAA office - the state semifinals will be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with 3 championship games on Friday and 4 on Saturday. The semifinal matchups will be determined by the least amount of travel and facility availability, as is done in football. (For example, using that philosophy the boys D1 semifinals presumably would have been Ignatius-Whitmer and Centerville-Delaware Hayes.)
This discussion took place at the girls state tournament; therefore, do not assume it will be the exact same for boys, but I don't have any reason to believe it won't either (in other words, a definite maybe).
None of this has been finalized, however.
Ignatius vs Whitmer in Mansfield on a school night sounds fantastic