Why Doesn't the OHSAA Use Districts for Football?

Because they blow. We have them here in PA. At least the way they are setup up in PA, they absolutely suck. You would be blown away how pathetic the district/state playoffs are set up here. I would need a week to describe all the flaws. NO THANKS to districts.

This is the way

Districts

As local games as it gets. Not a fan of the on-line only but the price is nice.

Hello OHSAA. Look how nicely organized and easy to compare teams, map and buy ticket.

This is the way

Districts

As local games as it gets. Not a fan of the on-line only but the price is nice.

Hello OHSAA. Look how nicely organized and easy to compare teams, map and buy ticket.
That setup is way better than in PA. I guess maybe the biggest issue here is the size they have for each district varies from district to district. Some teams because they are in a smaller district have no one to play. So they are crowned champion by playing no one. While the bigger districts start play. Some teams don't even play for 3 weeks waiting for other districts to finish their playoffs. Like I said (PA is VERY flawed). I like the setup you presented.

Last edited:
Fudge it let’s just do what WVSSAC does. Let’s take everyone and essentially play March madness till we have a winner! Who cares if we’re playing until Xmas, that means more $$$ OHSAA!! You guys love that green stuff! Let’s do it DI down DVII moar football= moar $$$ for you OH$AA

has that point been reached in Ohio?

I know a few schools have been re-orged out of a conference, so maybe that school would want the change, but the 7 schools that left that school behind might not be in favor.

This idea of implementing Districts in Ohio may just be a solution in search of a problem.

All that said, it works in other states. We'd all just get used to it here.
Ohio teams have been scheduling their own games since the 19th Century. No one is going to give that up and no one wants to have to "get used to it". If you do things the way Texas does, a lot of schools that would never play each other are suddenly going to have to do so. You better hide your wine goblets and fine China and tape all your windows heavily because the screaming that will be heard will break every unprotected piece of glass in the State.

It is an IDEA in search of a problem and no problem exists here. No one is going to accept HAVING to play St Edward or Akron Hoban, Cleveland Glenville, Massillon etc. every year, except in an occasional one-off playoff game.

I really don't think the absolute worst road trip in Ohio (Conneaut driving to Chesapeake - 362 miles by ROAD.) is all that horrible. Everyone here has seen Sykotyk's lists of horrible road trips in the Western US, Wyoming and Montana etc. And no one in Ohio even HAS a trip as bad as Conneaut visiting Chesapeake or even Conneaut going to Taylor in Cleves, OH. 328 miles by road.

If you have to get away from seeding in the playoffs to make shorter trips, well I'm not in favor it and think it's ridiculous in fact. But I am also not the one driving these trips. (I drive the much farther ones in the West to my home for sale in Nevada, to Las Vegas, to visit my sis in Phoenix Arizona, my SIL in Henderson, to Utah on business that I have coming up, none of which I find all that bad.)

If all the drivers unite and pressure the OHSAA, I bet you could get any accommodation in the playoff system you wanted. Money always talks, in a big. loud and very commanding voice.