Who wins the GCL

who wins the GCL

• Total voters
X should on average be one of the top 5 programs in the city. They would attract that much talent. But if Coach D is not running a program but just coaching a team, then it will be more of the same. Again, Moeller and Badin and Mason are good because it is important to them for them to be good. A new field at X would at least indicate that baseball is somewhat important to them. I will believe it when I see it.
They have that much talent. Moeller, Mason are a different level. X is right behind them, they have 3-5 D1 kids annually and enough arm talent to compete, which is all that really matters.

They have that much talent. Moeller, Mason are a different level. X is right behind them, they have 3-5 D1 kids annually and enough arm talent to compete, which is all that really matters.
I agree on both points. I would expect a better record soon. I am sort out of the loop regarding X right now. I don't know what kind of offseason program X had (although I think the head baseball coach is involved with the swimming program too... take that for what it is worth). But I hope your info on the field is accurate.

The difference being at Moeller or Elder and the best you can do is a regional final appearance over 8 plus years that’s just not good enough. X shouldn’t have to rebuild, there is plenty of talent. Is there 2024 Moeller talent? Maybe only Mason can compare but there is plenty of talent. Sherlock could blame it on Slinger and now DD can blame it on Sherlock.
X shouldn’t have to rebuild. You’re right about that. But in 2013-14, they did have to rebuild. DD on the other hand inherited a team with multiple D1 arms, a couple D1 bats, and a solid lineup all the way through. That’s not to say they were set to compete favorably with Moeller, but they were set to compete favorably with about everyone else.

St X 2022-23 version had to improve to compete with Moeller. Under DD they’re behind the other GCL South teams as well.

Agreed. X should be Moeller’s chief competition. They’re clearly moving the wrong direction.

I know CHCA has a decent team this year but please tell me the score was input wrong?

They beat X 19-5????

I know CHCA has a decent team this year but please tell me the score was input wrong?

They beat X 19-5????
CHCA pretty much always has a quality team, but there’s a big difference in the quality you can build between having 200 boys and having 1500.

Really nice win for CHCA. Anybody know the last time St X was run ruled by a school that wasn’t D1?

Well, I just checked X's record and it is pretty bad especially relative to the talent on the team. Maybe X wil make a change after this season. It would be surprising but the record and some of the scores are horrible.

Well, I just checked X's record and it is pretty bad especially relative to the talent on the team. Maybe X wil make a change after this season. It would be surprising but the record and some of the scores are horrible.
St X coaching staff at all levels of baseball is not that great. That might have something to do with it. Probably need to clean house.

Moeller dominates the GCL in yet another major sport.

They are killing it. Completely killing it.
Because it is important to them. Just like swimming is important to a faction well heeled X alumni. Sports is just not that important to most of the X administration. And when Steve retires or leaves ....STFB!

Because it is important to them. Just like swimming is important to a faction well heeled X alumni. Sports is just not that important to most of the X administration. And when Steve retires or leaves ....STFB!
Do you think it gets worse when SS retires?

I don't think the "well they have 1,700 students at X, how are they not dominating" theory applies. St X is probably the most diverse school in Cincinnati, in terms of why kids go to school there. It's also why they are the best school to prepare you for the life ahead of you.

There are so many varying interests of the kids at X, you almost can't pin them to anything. It has top notch programs for many activities.

Do you think it gets worse when SS retires?

I don't think the "well they have 1,700 students at X, how are they not dominating" theory applies. St X is probably the most diverse school in Cincinnati, in terms of why kids go to school there. It's also why they are the best school to prepare you for the life ahead of you.

There are so many varying interests of the kids at X, you almost can't pin them to anything. It has top notch programs for many activities.
You are correct. I would include swimming, music, fine art, theatre (especially musical), of course academics and, until Steve retires, football amongst those activities. Just not baseball, basketball, wrestling and maybe soccer.

You are correct. I would include swimming, music, fine art, theatre (especially musical), of course academics and, until Steve retires, football amongst those activities. Just not baseball, basketball, wrestling and maybe soccer.
X is a tremendous school. Agree on every post thus far, however, there is zero reasoning on why they are a 5-15 baseball team. IMO, they should NEVER be below a 15+win program on annual basis.
Elder with 21 state appearances, Moeller with 13 appearances, St. X with 2. Enough said

X is a tremendous school. Agree on every post thus far, however, there is zero reasoning on why they are a 5-15 baseball team. IMO, they should NEVER be below a 15+win program on annual basis.
Elder with 21 state appearances, Moeller with 13 appearances, St. X with 2. Enough said
1 state championship mind you. I could not agree with you more. Especially the years that my son was in high school ('17 thru '20). Multiple good D1 players, at least 1 professional pitcher and other good athletes that went on to play in the Ivy league and yet when you have a head coach for over 25 years that admits that he doesn't develop and only manages games, who spends his summers showing horses and is not involved in baseball. Replaced by another head coach who could not connect with his players at all and had two senior class mutinies. Who, in turn, is replaced by a head coach who is an assistant swim coach, not necessary at all and compromises the off-season baseball program, what does one expect? As far as I know, X has not had a Head Coach who coaches or umpires in the summer or has even visited his players at a local tournament. They do not have an off season hitting or pitching program that I know of and yet they are supposed to compete with the Mason's, Elder's, Moeller's or Badin's of SWO. Why would an aspiring ball player who cares about his baseball future go there or if he does go there... care about his record? It's maddening.

Last edited:
1 state championship mind you. I could not agree with you more. Especially the years that my son was in high school ('17 thru '20). Multiple good D1 players, at least 1 professional pitcher and other good athletes that went on to play in the Ivy league and yet when you have a head coach for over 25 years that admits that he doesn't develop and only manages games, who spends his summers showing horses and is not involved in baseball. Replaced by another head coach who could not connect with his players at all and had two senior class mutinies. Who, in turn, is replaced by a head coach who is an assistant swim coach, not necessary at all and compromises the off-season baseball program, what does one expect? As far as I know, X has not had a Head Coach who coaches or umpires in the summer or has even visited his players at a local tournament. They do not have an off season hitting or pitching program that I know of and yet they are supposed to compete with the Mason's, Elder's, Moeller's or Badin's of SWO. Why would an aspiring ball player who cares about his baseball future go there or if he does go there... care about his record? Its maddening.
I’ve seen the program for almost 40 years. As I’ve stated they always have had the players. I cannot comment about the coaching staffs as I do not know them well. I know they are not mark Thompson or the Cameron/Held combo however. They have had better facilities than either of those two schools for most of those 40 years as well. I would suggest they should “fall in” to 15 wins a season. Still have to think something beyond just the coaching staffs.
Senior mutiny is funny. Would love to know the details.