• Sycamore Mohawk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Henry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know white schools transfers go for academics and black schools athletics. Northwest logic
Almost all of the near if not all white schools that are SW and NW district that are frequently there in D3 and D4 have really good academics because the communities have among the lowest poverty rates in Ohio. You have no clue what you're talking about here.

It’s entirely possible for a community of 10K to find themselves in D3/D4 without trying. Many urban, and an increasingly large number of rural communities, have residents that have raised their kids and remain in their homes. Without available housing, a community is not inviting to younger families. It’s been mentioned on here before, but there are kids leaving RH to attend neighboring districts, charters and private schools. Factor those things together and you have a small student body. A quick look at Google Maps shows a community with little land to develop and grow. Many green spaces are designated park areas, so I would anticipate them being in a lower division going forward. I am not entirely familiar this situation, but some of these parents might be moving their families to RH to escape neighborhoods like this one in East Cleveland: View attachment 39896
but i thought richmond heights was such a great community so thats why transfers wanted to play there

Wrong. The rural teams from west central and northwest Ohio that are good rarely have transfers. Maybe SE and East district teams do. I think Crestview has one, Etzler, and it's because his dad moved home from the Columbus area (Teays Valley??) to be the basketball coach at his alma mater. His kid was probably going into either 8th or 9th grade when he took the job.
crestview is the perfect example of how d4 basketball should be. They were so good in 2019 with all kids that grew up in their school district

From somebody who went to the State Tournament for over 30 years. I used to really enjoy several things about the tournament. I enjoyed watching the great athletic ability of the DIV 1 Schools and what they brought. I also enjoyed the smaller divisions. I always considered them to be "community divisions" where it seems like everybody in their area came to support them. Maybe it started with Columbus Wehrle in the 80's but the smaller divisions have become All-Star teams. OHSAA tried to deal with the issue by starting competitive balance numbers but did nothing but take some Div 4 teams and made them Div 3. I really have very little desire to go to Dayton to watch AAU games. If you look at the attendance numbers, a lot of people must agree with me. It isn't an issue with private vs public schools as Africentric and Richmond Heights are both public.

OG is definitely not an AAU team. All their players are from the school district. No open enroll players, no move ins. It's amazing how they compete at a high level year in and year out. Always end playing and competing with big city, private or controlled enrollment publics. Plus they bring 3,000 plus fans to the games to keep the OHSAA alive.

Richmond Heights is a great example of why many have lost interest in HS basketball in Ohio. Looked it up and Richmond Heights has a population of over 10,000, yet they are playing in the D4 division. Most communities of 10,000 are D2. Russia has a population of 650, a true D4 community. This doesn't pass the smell test. It is obvious RH is a glorified AAU all star team. Not denying that they are a very talented team. Look at the make up of this years State Tournament participants. Mostly private schools along with Africentric and RH, public schools in name only that have extreme advantages from drawing athletes from large population areas. There is no way small town teams can compete with this. I don't see it changing. It is what it is, and it is leading to the death of HS sports.
I'm not sure about the dynamics of the school district, but RH has always had a smaller enrollment for whatever reason.

They are a big part in small communities where there is nothing else to do or live for. It’s sad that the most important thing a lot of people will ever do in their lifetime in these small communities happened when they were teenagers at a sporting event. It’s really kind of sad.
That's an idiotic comment. You mean supporting your kids is not important? Handing down the traditions of hard work,culture and family is not important. That's nothing to live for?

That's an idiotic comment. You mean supporting your kids is not important? Handing down the traditions of hard work,culture and family is not important. That's nothing to live for?
Who said that? , you’re an idiot. Never said supporting your kids was not important. What I said was a sporting event should not be the most important thing that happens in your lifetime. By the way, Delphos is about the same size with two small schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richmond Heights is a great example of why many have lost interest in HS basketball in Ohio. Looked it up and Richmond Heights has a population of over 10,000, yet they are playing in the D4 division. Most communities of 10,000 are D2. Russia has a population of 650, a true D4 community. This doesn't pass the smell test. It is obvious RH is a glorified AAU all star team. Not denying that they are a very talented team. Look at the make up of this years State Tournament participants. Mostly private schools along with Africentric and RH, public schools in name only that have extreme advantages from drawing athletes from large population areas. There is no way small town teams can compete with this. I don't see it changing. It is what it is, and it is leading to the death of HS sports.
Ridiculous observation! First, Russia’s population of 650 means approximately 20% are HS students which is false. To believe that these small towns can’t compete see Ottawa-Glandorf! Interesting that you didn’t mention the move ins at Centerville as problematic. Your comment wreaks of…….ism

Ridiculous observation! First, Russia’s population of 650 means approximately 20% are HS students which is false. To believe that these small towns can’t compete see Ottawa-Glandorf! Interesting that you didn’t mention the move ins at Centerville as problematic. Your comment wreaks of…….ism
I don't mind being challenged on my comments, but when you bring race into it that is ridiculous. My complaint is and always has been big city schools being able to attract players from a large population area and playing in D3 or D4. I don't care if you are white, black or whatever. Rural communities don't have this option and it creates a very unlevel playing situation. I love OG and what they have done. OG has no open enrollment players or move ins. They do it year in and year out and ending up playing big city private and so called public schools with controlled enrollments. The population of the town of Russia is 650. Their school district takes in rural areas also, so the total population of the school district may 3,000 or so at the most.

I don't mind being challenged on my comments, but when you bring race into it that is ridiculous. My complaint is and always has been big city schools being able to attract players from a large population area and playing in D3 or D4. I don't care if you are white, black or whatever. Rural communities don't have this option and it creates a very unlevel playing situation. I love OG and what they have done. OG has no open enrollment players or move ins. They do it year in and year out and ending up playing big city private and so called public schools with controlled enrollments. The population of the town of Russia is 650. Their school district takes in rural areas also, so the total population of the school district may 3,000 or so at the most.
The advantage the small rural schools have is they have played together since the 5th grade, on pre jr. high teams. If Russia could have handled RH's pressure better and made more foul shots the frogs could have won that game. Russia outrebounded RH 30 - 18. OG out rebounded Africentric 36 - 29. These All Star teams thrive on turnovers, need to have solid guard play to beat them. Unfortunately for OG they had a really tough game while LE has been on cruise control vs HP plus LE has a more overall talented team than Africentric.

Akron and Toledo have populations in the six figures and most of their schools are D2. Why do you a school in a city with a population of 10k should be D2?
Right. The logic makes no sense. Unless you look at demographics you can't really tell how what division a HS should be based on city population lol. If a lot of Richmond Hts population is older or goes to to private school it would lower the HS enrollment.

You can tell most of the people posting aren't familiar with the area or the team. I also don't think Richmond Hts intentionally keeps its population down to win a D4 title. They could probably win D3 anyways and its not like they didn't beat every NEO D1 they faced.

Look it up. Richmond Hts. has always had a small HS enrollment.

The district is bordered by the much larger districts of Euclid, Mayfield, and South Euclid-Lyndhurst (Brush), but none of them offer open enrollment. Most of the districts around Cleveland are closed enrollment. Richmond Hts, East Cleveland, Warrensville. Hts, and Chagrin Falls appear to be the only ones on the east side of Cuyahoga County that are open enrollment. No doubt the district is losing kids to any number of private schools on the east side of the county, too. There is a private school to fit any kid's interests on that side of town, and the state's continued expansion of the voucher program takes the cost of attending a private school out of the equation for a large number of kids. RH is currently on the ODE's designated list for EdChoice.

Demographics:

^^^
Fun thing there is you can compare RH to other towns of similar population. At random, I compared RH to Wapakoneta. Population was very similar at 10,800 for RH vs. 9,900 for Wapak, but RH skewed older (23.8% over age 65 in RH vs. 19.6% in Wapak, and only 15.6% in RH under 18 vs. 21.8% in Wapak).

Last edited:
From somebody who went to the State Tournament for over 30 years. I used to really enjoy several things about the tournament. I enjoyed watching the great athletic ability of the DIV 1 Schools and what they brought. I also enjoyed the smaller divisions. I always considered them to be "community divisions" where it seems like everybody in their area came to support them. Maybe it started with Columbus Wehrle in the 80's but the smaller divisions have become All-Star teams. OHSAA tried to deal with the issue by starting competitive balance numbers but did nothing but take some Div 4 teams and made them Div 3. I really have very little desire to go to Dayton to watch AAU games. If you look at the attendance numbers, a lot of people must agree with me. It isn't an issue with private vs public schools as Africentric and Richmond Heights are both public.
“Public”

I don't think you can judge a team, school or community based on fan turn out at the state tournament. Historically small urban public schools do not travel like other schools in support of their teams - they just don't. You also have to remember that the state tournament is now in Dayton - which is 4 hours or so from Richmond Heights. I think the turn out was higher for Northern teams when the tournament was in Columbus. I'm sure there are many factors that have led to a small crowd - that however should not diminish what an outstanding season the Spartans have had. I think the kids are still playing hard for themselves as well as their school and community.

Never underestimate small metro public schools from NEO. They play for more than just the individual or team they play for the community (school district). And specifically you can see this in how unselfish they are on the court, the ball movement and extra passes are excellent.
Richmond Heights plays the game the right way without question. They share the ball and play great defense. I think we can agree to disagree about multiple transfers,move ins, staying in D4 etc. I don't understand what these kids situation is because I don't live in that area and don't know their families. At the end of the day if kids are in school and in sports it usually means they are working hard and are committed to something. That's a good thing no matter where it is. Urban or rural its always better then dropping out. Urban areas have a lot more kids in a condensed area making it easier to move around. IMO there will never be a perfect solution. We all root for our teams and our kids but the more kids that succeed in general the better off our society is.

Heights has decided to turn up the heat in the 3rd. They were up by 9 at the half and outscored Crestview 29-0 in the third. The game is becoming a real laugher. Heights is on fire from behind the arc and their full court press has created a running clock. Back to Back Champions.