• Tri-Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cinc Wyoming

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Hamilton Badin

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ursuline all day. The scary thing is that team is YOUNG. If they stay together, they'll be the next VASJ of the old days.
While Ursuline is nice, I think they might be a year away? Well, let me preface it by saying that is predicated on where things shake out with the new reclassification process.

Also VASJ maintained their impressive run through 2 coaches and about 12 years. Give or take. Ursuline has a ways to go before getting in that conversation in my opinion.

Ursuline was really loaded during their last Regional run but lost in the Semis in 2017 t I CCC I believe and never made it back until now. Maybe we should see how things play out before handing them the D 2 title?

There's a good chance they might not make it out of thie Regionals. I mean they could, but there's also a chance they might not.

I would also not lose sight of Shelby or Wyoming. Both are playing really well and are serious threats to win it all.

Alter has arguably the best player in D2 in RJ Greer. Who can turn it on at anytime and take over. Kid can shoot the lights out of the ball and make tough shots. 1-5 everyone can shoot in from 3. They go about 3 deep off the bench and have 2 guys that are 6’7 plus. Their guards are battle tested playing in big stages having played last year in big games against Taft and the regional finals loss against CJ. The knights have been inconsistent at times this year. It’s hard to score with the knights because as I stated 1-5 can get a bucket at anytime. And the defense always causes problems because you often don’t see a zone like Alters 2-3.

While Ursuline is nice, I think they might be a year away? Well, let me preface it by saying that is predicated on where things shake out with the new reclassification process.

Also VASJ maintained their impressive run through 2 coaches and about 12 years. Give or take. Ursuline has a ways to go before getting in that conversation in my opinion.

Ursuline was really loaded during their last Regional run but lost in the Semis in 2017 t I CCC I believe and never made it back until now. Maybe we should see how things play out before handing them the D 2 title?

There's a good chance they might not make it out of thie Regionals. I mean they could, but there's also a chance they might not.

I would also not lose sight of Shelby or Wyoming. Both are playing really well and are serious threats to win it all.
Ursuline was actually a heavy underdog going into the 2017 regional. They were supposed to return a ton of underclass talent that year, but a few kids transferred to Warren Harding and Spire. Kids stepped up and they made a nice run. You may be thinking of 2011, we played CCC that year, too. I still think we were still a bit of an underdog, but we were playing extremely well leading to this game. CCC got out in front with some early threes and never looked back.

As far as this year goes, Ursuline has the talent to play for and win a state championship. But we have to get through a regional, where the other squads are more than capable of knocking us off.

Alter has arguably the best player in D2 in RJ Greer. Who can turn it on at anytime and take over. Kid can shoot the lights out of the ball and make tough shots. 1-5 everyone can shoot in from 3. They go about 3 deep off the bench and have 2 guys that are 6’7 plus. Their guards are battle tested playing in big stages having played last year in big games against Taft and the regional finals loss against CJ. The knights have been inconsistent at times this year. It’s hard to score with the knights because as I stated 1-5 can get a bucket at anytime. And the defense always causes problems because you often don’t see a zone like Alters 2-3.
Greer is a great shooter, but I doubt the best player in D2. He’s pretty good moving without the ball, but rarely puts it on the floor or gets to the rim. In fact, Alter, a very good three point shooting team, really doesn’t have a guy who goes to the hole, and they never post the 6’7 guys. They play a good zone defense, but zone defenses eventually give up open looks, and you can drive their zone.
Their best zone is the1-3-1. They are long. As a team they are tough and smart, but not without weaknesses. They might get to the State, but I doubt they will win. As a GCL fan I wish them good luck.

Lutheran West has too much size and depth for anybody else. Jordan Duke is a great coach too
What is Lutheran West rolling with as far as size.

Shelby is taller than most. We run a guard-centric offense, so none of these guys behave like posts except a bench player.

6'7
6'5/6'6 (depending on the day, it seems)
6'3
6'1
5'11

And our first guys off the bench is 6'4 and 5'9

As far as Shelby goes, we are cruising as of late. Beating Mansfield and Lex at districts is the tallest task that any of these regionals teams were asked to play through. The Mansfield game was close due to our best player getting two fouls in the first 2-3 minutes of the game. The Lex game was a better example of the level that this team can operate on. Our only losses were in December, and we have three starters who were playing significant minutes in the football playoffs for three weeks, as well as the 6th and 7th guys off the bench. Took until mid-January for the whole scheme and confidence of each player to solidify.

As far as Shelby goes, we are cruising as of late. Beating Mansfield and Lex at districts is the tallest task that any of these regionals teams were asked to play through. The Mansfield game was close due to our best player getting two fouls in the first 2-3 minutes of the game. The Lex game was a better example of the level that this team can operate on. Our only losses were in December, and we have three starters who were playing significant minutes in the football playoffs for three weeks, as well as the 6th and 7th guys off the bench. Took until mid-January for the whole scheme and confidence of each player to solidify.
Thanks for the excellent take! Sounds like they're firing on all cylinders. Whoever gets to Dayton and wins it all will have accomplished a tremendous feat because there are some good teams that are going to funnel out of these regional tournaments. If you're just a fan of high school basketball and go to Dayton to watch games, there will be some real good games in all divisions. Except maybe D4 LOL

Don't think Shawnee has enough to challenge Shelby....and Lutheran West vs Toledo CC could be a running clock. I've seen both Shelby and Lutheran West play. Should be a good one. Shelby D is going to have to be at it's best because LW's 5 starters can score from anywhere and they will go 8-10 deep and never stop pressing. I think the winner of that one gets thru the state semi final and will be playing for a State title.

I saw Shelby play both district games and they are very good. Bruskotter is a very nice player and is obviously well aware of his teammates strengths. He gets them involved a lot. If they play Lutheran West in the regional final, I may have to make the trip from Cleveland to BG. Best of luck to the Whippets.

What is Lutheran West rolling with as far as size.

Shelby is taller than most. We run a guard-centric offense, so none of these guys behave like posts except a bench player.

6'7
6'5/6'6 (depending on the day, it seems)
6'3
6'1
5'11

And our first guys off the bench is 6'4 and 5'9
Thats about what Lutheran West is working with height wise. They have two 6'7 twins and a lanky wing who can score. The starting guards are as solid as they come in high school. They score, create for others and defend. The other thing about a Jordan Duke team is you cannot get on the court if you dont defend so they are really good on defense too. Fundamentally sound on both ends and also have another kid who can really shoot it. Its definitely advantageous for Shelby they have already been tested in the playoffs but Lutheran West played a crazy schedule, theyre the only team to beat D1 contender Garfield. Good luck should come down to yall two on Saturday

Greer is a great shooter, but I doubt the best player in D2. He’s pretty good moving without the ball, but rarely puts it on the floor or gets to the rim. In fact, Alter, a very good three point shooting team, really doesn’t have a guy who goes to the hole, and they never post the 6’7 guys. They play a good zone defense, but zone defenses eventually give up open looks, and you can drive their zone.
Their best zone is the1-3-1. They are long. As a team they are tough and smart, but not without weaknesses. They might get to the State, but I doubt they will win. As a GCL fan I wish them good luck.
I agree with just about every word of this post. The kiights have a very nice supporting cast for Greer, who is good but no likely the best player in D2. Lutheran West has to be the favorite in my opinion. I suspect Alter may have the best chance against them, but I will be surpirsed if they do not end up on the top of this division.

I agree with just about every word of this post. The kiights have a very nice supporting cast for Greer, who is good but no likely the best player in D2. Lutheran West has to be the favorite in my opinion. I suspect Alter may have the best chance against them, but I will be surpirsed if they do not end up on the top of this division.
Won't West have their hands full with TCC? While their record may be deceiving, it looks like they've been playing better as of late and have faced very tough competition

Not knowing anything about the TCC, I would say it depends on how tough you think Wauseon and Toledo Scott can be. Lutheran West was playing top-notch Cleveland teams and coming out on top. TCC took their L's against good teams, but they didn't win against them either. Give TCC a schedule like Shawnee's and are they going much better than 19-6?

I will argue that - I think Bruskotter ( Shelby) 6' 8" is a load to handle, they have payed a decent schedule and is at least a top 1-3 player in D2. Smooth shoots the 3 very well and plays solid defense. The biggest obstacle they ( Shelby) have is getting by the best team in D2 - Lutheran West. IMO Finally Bruskotter is a MR Basketball finalist - I didn't see Greer's name on that list?

Last edited:
I will argue that - I think Bruskotter ( Shelby) 6' 8" is a load to handle, they have payed a decent schedule and is at least a top 1-3 player in D2. Smooth shoots the 3 very well and plays solid defense. The biggest obstacle they ( Shelby) have is getting by the best team in D2 - Lutheran West. IMO Finally Bruskotter is a MR Basketball finalist - I didn't see Greer's name on that list?
I believe I said he was arguably one of the best players in D2. His final 4 are all high major D1s and the NBL. Don’t know how many other players remaining in D2 have those kind of offers. As for Mr. Basketball he got injured midway through the year and that putt a dent into his numbers but he has been playing good as of late. We’ll see tonight.

The Canton regional should be really fun. Cant call it even though Ursuline appears to be the favorite. I expect both games tonight and the finals to be competitive.

I believe I said he was arguably one of the best players in D2. His final 4 are all high major D1s and the NBL. Don’t know how many other players remaining in D2 have those kind of offers. As for Mr. Basketball he got injured midway through the year and that putt a dent into his numbers but he has been playing good as of late. We’ll see tonight.
Just curious as to where Greer's final 4 are at and how many games did he miss with whatever his injury was?
I know Bruskotter wanted the process to be done with early and his brother plays baseball at Wright State - why he choose to accept that offer - it is where he wanted to be ( and he wants to play baseball with his brother something they agreed to ) He has had many offers, from schools much larger, just his choice. Plus he was chosen along with Colin White to play internationally for a team this past summer in Italy.

Greer's final four options are the NBL, NC State, UC, and Penn State. I wouldn' t quite call those high major programs in terms of pedigree. Yes, they are in high major conferences, but they all typically finish in the bottom half of their league. Michigan and Florida were the only two programs that offered him (according to 247 sports) that I would consider high major. Greer missed the last game in Hilton Head and three games during the regular season.

Last edited:
Greer's final four options are the NBL, NC State, UC, and Penn State. I wouldn' t quite call those high major programs in terms of pedigree. Yes, they are in high major conferences, but they all typically finish in the bottom half of their league. Michigan and Florida were the only two programs that offered him (according to 247 sports) that I would consider high major. Greer missed the last game in Hilton Head and three games during the regular season.
Does he have a connection to the NBL? Seems kinda odd if he doesnt have any high level power 5 offers or do they offer a lot of prospects?

Does he have a connection to the NBL? Seems kinda odd if he doesnt have any high level power 5 offers or do they offer a lot of prospects?
I believe his mother is from there. Or has roots from there. I know his father current Dayton Flyers assistant played overseas. So maybe he has connections over there as well. Also this summer he played in the NBA Academy Games which features players outside of the US. And read some reports about his Australian roots.

Last edited:
Good player not the best in D2 by any stretch, his offers are from his family connections. I don't think he is high major caliber player just yet maybe a big summer will help him get there but I just do not see it as of now

Alter advances to a third straight regional final. Beating Johnathan Alder 63-42. RJ Greers 2nd quarter spark tore the game wide open.