• Garfield Heights

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Toledo Whitmer

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Toledo St. John's

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like our chances but every team left at this point is very capable of winning. Easy for any team to have a tough shooting night in HS. A final against Garfield Hts would be a very fun matchup.

If Centerville beats Moeller again, I think they could win it all. They’re playing well now. It would be fun to watch another double overtime thriller against Ignatius.

Easy for any team to have a tough shooting night in HS.
That about says it. Of the 8 teams left, I don't see anyone who doesn't belong. The team that plays hard, but can stay loose with all the pressure will win it. I think its an underdogs kind of tournament this year. Question is? Who are the underdogs?

Last edited:
Final: St. Ignatius 46, Brunswick 43
Seems like they snuck out with a win. I was thinking Brunswick had a good chance to win having already played them this season. Hard to beat a good team like that twice. I’m guessing missing the size of Springer played a role in this one. Gonna be very interesting next weekend.

Seems like they snuck out with a win. I was thinking Brunswick had a good chance to win having already played them this season. Hard to beat a good team like that twice. I’m guessing missing the size of Springer played a role in this one. Gonna be very interesting next weekend.
It wasn't about the size. It was about a terribly sloppy 1st half combined with slowing down game majorly. Cats do not want to play a slow tempo lack of possessions game.

D1 final four and title could be exceptionally good next weekend with how it is setting up

Delaware Hayes is obviously very good but have to believe St. I is better. Hayes has good size and they are skilled. Saw them Saturday night for the 1st time. How about some insight into St. I.

Delaware Hayes is obviously very good but have to believe St. I is better. Hayes has good size and they are skilled. Saw them Saturday night for the 1st time. How about some insight into St. I.
Haven’t seen Hayes at all besides highlights but have seen Iggy 5 times. They have good size and good shooters. They play pretty good defense and they like to play fast. How deep is Hayes’ roster?

Final 4:

Saturday (5:15 pm)
Delaware Hayes (27-1)
Cleveland St. Ignatius (24-3)

Saturday (8:30 pm)
Toledo Whitmer (25-2)
Centerville (17-8)
Centerville is 19-8, MaxPreps doesn't list there sectionals games, they played Piqua on2-22 won 59-16, and then the sectionals finials beat Xenia on 2-29 ,won 70-20

Haven’t seen Hayes at all besides highlights but have seen Iggy 5 times. They have good size and good shooters. They play pretty good defense and they like to play fast. How deep is Hayes’ roster?
They are deep enough. 2-3 off bench are just fine. Burris is their guy and scores from everywhere. I believe he is an Ohio University commit. Their big guy I was told is a transfer. He had a little foul trouble but is strong and physical. They don't rely just on their Pt. to bring it up, the ball is in Burris's hands often. They went to a 2-3 to start the 2nd half and it was effective against Orange.

Whitmer fan here asking about Centerville. I have followed them from afar over the past several seasons and they are impressive. On paper, they should destroy Whitmer. Whitmer's tallest starter is 6'3" (Yikes!). I know the Elks played a really tough schedule but some of their games are head scratchers. Just a younger team figuring out how to play together and peaking at the right time?

Whitmer fan here asking about Centerville. I have followed them from afar over the past several seasons and they are impressive. On paper, they should destroy Whitmer. Whitmer's tallest starter is 6'3" (Yikes!). I know the Elks played a really tough schedule but some of their games are head scratchers. Just a younger team figuring out how to play together and peaking at the right time?
I wouldn't say young but inexperienced (they start 2 Seniors and 3 Juniors). Only one returner played significant minutes last year. Made for a lot of ups and downs as the new five came together. They have good height but I would say it's more their length than height that causes problems for teams.

From the Toledo Area Basketball thread

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 10.36.28 AM.png

Interesting. Wonder what coach Sonny will do?
I would imagine that he's been talking to the PD reporter as from past reporting, they seem to have a good relationship

From the Toledo Area Basketball thread

View attachment 56018

Interesting. Wonder what coach Sonny will do?
I would imagine that he's been talking to the PD reporter as from past reporting, they seem to have a good relationship
He shouldn't do anything. He looks foolish for not catching it during the game. It was the other teams best player and you and your staff weren't tracking his fouls.

He shouldn't do anything. He looks foolish for not catching it during the game. It was the other teams best player and you and your staff weren't tracking his fouls.
I don’t see a point in doing anything anyway unless they want some emotional consolation. I loved watching GH this year and they were a final 4 favorite of mine for sure. It sucks how they lost, looks like the West kid did get called for 5 fouls and hit two big free throws following the “fifth” foul to increase their lead. If he’s fouled out does GH win? Maybe, maybe not. At this point, they unfortunately just have to take the L on the chin and move on. They’ve already sold tickets for Whitmer, there won’t be any changes made.

From cleveland.com:

About the Elks: Since the OHSAA moved its state championships to Dayton, Centerville has been a constant presence. Coach Brook Cupps returns for a fourth season, but for the first time without his son and former Mr. Basketball winner, Gabe Cupps, who is now at Indiana. “I don’t know how good we are, but we’re playing our best basketball right now,” said the coach, who has leaned on Powell (20.3 points per game) and 6-7 Baboucarr Njie with junior guard Eli Greenberg. They beat Moeller twice this season, including last Saturday’s 70-69 win in overtime at St. Xavier in Cincinnati. It marked a second time the Elks beat Moeller, the top-ranked team in the final Associated Press state poll. “I think a lot of people looked at this team as not being on the level of teams from the last two years,” said Cupps who added that even his own team made those comparisons. This team has size, including five players at 6-4 or taller, which could be crucial against Whitmer. “The guys who rebound it and get those extra shots for those guards,” Cupps said of the Panthers. “They rebound it so well. But you have to slow those other two down (junior guard Antione West and sophomore Andre Young III). You have to make them defend some. We play a really good schedule, and they’re two of the best guards we’ll see.”

About the Panthers: In a strange twist, the last time Whitmer made it to a final four in 2012, it had to go through current coach Anthony Stacey when he led Medina to regionals. He has steadily grown the Whitmer program, which should remain a state power next season. Only one of his five starters is a senior, and they are led by junior standout Antione West. A 6-3 guard, West holds scholarship offers that include Ohio State, Penn State, Arizona State and Toledo. Dayton and Xavier are interested, too, as he led the Panthers with 19.7 points per game this season. He took the final perimeter shot Saturday against the Bulldogs before 6-2 junior Makhi Leach tried to putback his shot at the rim and Napoleon Jemison had positioning to tip that back and beat the buzzer. “It was fortunate for us that we were on the side of the tip in,” Stacey said. “The game was back and forth. We made some mistakes and were careless with the basketball and fouled their 3-point shooters twice.” Whitmer also benefited from a controversial fouling situation in which West, who scored a game-high 21 points, appeared to commit his fifth foul in the final three minutes but was charged with only four fouls. Despite it, Whitmer’s only losses this season have come to Findlay. “We had a few hiccups there, getting beat by the same team twice,” Stacey said. “We lost two years in a row in the district finals and were able to get over the hump this year.”

About the Wildcats: In five seasons as St. Ignatius’ coach, Cam Joyce has now guided the Wildcats to three state semifinals. They just missed another run last year with a 38-37 loss to Garfield Heights in the regional semifinals but came back to Kent State as the No. 1 overall seed in the Northeast District and ran past Massillon Jackson before rallying to beat Brunswick, 46-43, on Friday night last week for a regional crown. The journey has come full circle for St. Ignatius, which made a point to begin its summer at Dayton for a team camp. Junior guard Quinn Woidke has emerged for a team that could have brought back three starting guards from that 2022 run, before Ace Buckner (La Lumiere), C.J. Little (Garfield Heights) and Carter Jackson (Garfield Heights) transferred out the last two seasons. Joyce reloaded and didn’t lose a beat with not only Woidke, who missed most of last season because of injury, but senior point guard Jack Zapolnik. With senior Matt Ellis off the bench, they have complemented a big front line led by 6-foot-10 junior Damon Friery and 6-8 Reece Robinson. Both are Division I college prospects, with Robinson headed to Cleveland State, and are playing without injured 6-7 senior Sam Springer. An Air Force commit, Springer had surgery on his foot the day of the regional final. In his place, Joyce called up senior Mike Lamirand to the starting lineup. Throughout the season, Joyce said he considered Lamirand and Ellis to be sixth and seventh starters. That has been put to the test, which St. Ignatius has passed, thus far in the tournament. “We had a tough schedule,” Joyce said Tuesday during an OHSAA teleconference. “I think we were ranked in a lot of polls as having the toughest schedule in the state.” He thinks that paid dividends for this postseason. One of those wins included a 94-92 win in double overtime on Jan. 13 at Centerville. The Wildcats forced the first overtime in that one on a buzzer-beating 3-pointer by Woidke.

About the Pacers: The only team not to have a down-to-the-wire regional final, Delaware Hayes raced past Olentangy Orange on Saturday last week at Ohio Dominican with a 74-56 victory. Both teams came in with just one loss. “It was a high level game, as you’d expect for No. 1 vs. No. 2 in Central Ohio,” Hayes coach Adam Vincenzo said. The Pacers are making their first trip to the state semifinals, led by senior 6-4 senior guard Jesse Burris. He is an Ohio University signee and averaged 16.1 points with 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists on the season. He also is a four-year starter. “We handed him the keys as a freshman,” Vincenzo said. “We were kind of rebuilding when he was a freshman. It was a process these last four years, and we had a vision leading to his senior year.” They also added Landon Vanderwarker as a transfer last year from Northside Christian. A 6-7 junior forward, Vanderwarker had 16 points and 12 rebounds in the win vs. Orange. He made the All-Ohio first team last season in Division IV and has seven Division I college scholarship offers. Vanderwarker could be the X-factor for the Pacers in their matchups with Friery and Robinson.

Had a feeling this would happen once GH made their initial inquiry and made it public via the media ...
The coach and AD weren't going to just let the OHSAA get away with a letter
Here's the transcript of the Cleveland.com article as it is for subscriber-only

Garfield Heights has filed injunction over handling of OHSAA boys basketball regional final vs. Toledo Whitmer, AD says

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Garfield Heights athletic director Michael Cruz said his school filed an injunction Thursday afternoon against the Ohio High School Athletic Association because it wants the final 2 minutes, 50 seconds of last weekend’s regional final replayed because of an error in how many fouls were assessed to Toledo Whitmer’s leading scorer.

Junior guard Antione West, who scored a game-high 21 points Saturday in the Panthers’ 49-47 victory, committed his final foul of the game at that 2:50 mark.

At the time, the University of Toledo scoreboard and scorers’ table registered it as his fourth foul. However, Garfield Heights contends it was his fifth and final foul, and Cruz said his school’s appeal is being made with video evidence from the game’s broadcast.

West briefly exited the regional final after his final foul. He quickly re-entered the game and hit two free throws before taking the last shot from the perimeter that led to a winning putback for Whitmer.

“We filed the injunction to have the score as it was with timeouts and everything the same, but without Antione West,” said Cruz, who pinpointed the 2:50 mark of the final foul.

Cruz said the filing was made Thursday in Franklin County, where the OHSAA’s Columbus offices are located. It comes with a significant time crunch.

Whitmer (25-2) is slated to play Centerville (19-8) on Saturday night in a state semifinal at the University of Dayton Arena. St. Ignatius (24-3) meets Delaware Hayes (27-1) in the other semifinal before Sunday’s state championship concludes the season.

Cruz, whose school saw its basketball season presumably end with a 25-2 record, cited the process of retrieving the game footage from Toledo-based network BCSN before communicating with the OHSAA and then getting approval from his school administration for why its appeal was not made until Thursday afternoon.

“We were not given the film until Monday after office hours,” said Cruz, who added he initially contacted the University of Toledo for the broadcast film before being redirected to BCSN. “Once we got the film and were able to verify, I sent an email to the OHSAA on Monday evening and followed up Tuesday morning with phone calls. They got back to me Tuesday afternoon.”

That OHSAA response Tuesday, which included a statement provided to cleveland.com, said it could not use video replays to overturn a final score and the official scorebook.

Garfield Heights coach Sonny Johnson had been relegated to the bench after receiving a technical foul in the second quarter. After the game, he declined to comment on the officiating but said this week he shouted from the bench trying to dispute West’s foul situation in the fourth quarter.

“I’m very proud and appreciative of our school district because they expedited this in a pretty significant way,” Cruz said. “At the end of the day, we are fighting for what we believe is right for our kids. We understand that human error occurs, but we feel this is a procedural mistake that cannot happen.”