Who will be the OHSAA Track and Field Team State Champions?

It will be very, very close between St. Xavier, Pick. North, and Canal Winchester for the D1 Boys.

I'll take Pick. North once again.

D3 boys could get interesting. Columbus Grove is the favorite on paper, so I'll go with them. However, there are a list of teams that will be in tight competition for 2nd or even 1st if Columbus Grove should falter: McDonald (discus will be a big event for both them and CG), Minster, Archbold, Dalton, Cedarville, Africentric, and Ashland Crestview.

My initial thought on D3 girls is Mt. Gilead for the win with Johnson coming in as a favorite in 3 individual events. West Liberty-Salem will give Mt. Gilead all they want. 4x8 could be a swing event for both teams.

Last edited:
Sandusky Perkins in boys D2 potentially, they have all 4 relays at State.
I will go with Hawken in D2 girls, after watching Ella win the 1600 and 3200 then look up to see her run the 3rd leg of the 4 by 4, was crazy, and she is in the 4 by 8.

D2 Girls may come down to 2 teams 2 miles apart from each other in Akron (STV and Buchtel), with Dayton Oakwood, Gilmour Academy, Liberty -Benton and Hawken also in the chase!

D3 boys could get interesting. Columbus Grove is the favorite on paper, so I'll go with them. However, there are a list of teams that will be in tight competition for 2nd or even 1st if Columbus Grove should falter: McDonald (discus will be a big event for both them and CG), Minster, Archbold, Dalton, Cedarville, Africentric, and Ashland Crestview.

My initial thought on D3 girls is Mt. Gilead for the win with Johnson coming in as a favorite in 3 individual events. West Liberty-Salem will give Mt. Gilead all they want. 4x8 could be a swing event for both teams.
Like the West Liberty girls.... should be interesting in the Boys.... is there a site that puts all the times in , and predicts who will win it?

Like the West Liberty girls.... should be interesting in the Boys.... is there a site that puts all the times in , and predicts who will win it?
OH Milesplit has a virtual tournament app that does this I believe, but you have to join to use it.

I scored it based on the heat sheets that were posted, so in some cases, I may not have been working with the entrants' best times, and I wasn't at some of these sites to know who was going full-gas and who was running just hard enough to qualify. It's going to be very close on the girls' side. The big points on the boys' side could be very scattered, much like they were in 2016.

In early field action, McDonald places 2nd in DIII boys shot put which is a 2 pt. loss to chalk. Fudge from Africentric wins the DIII boys LJ to get them off to a big start in the team competition. He was not projected to score based on the regional performance list.

Heck of an effort from Mallory Mullen of Springfield Central Catholic with a 5’10 1/4” to win the D3 high jump.

I have watched 5 DQ for nonexistent false starts today in prelims at D1.

Those officials need to retire. Unbelievable.

After the first day it looks like West Liberty Salem may have too much for the field. In D3 they should when by 7 over Mt Gilead. I like Oakwood in D3 and Mentor In D3. After the D1 HJ any chance Gah.Lincoln had flew out the window.

I have watched 5 DQ for nonexistent false starts today in prelims at D1.

Those officials need to retire. Unbelievable.
I did not watch the entire prelim session yet, but the 2 FSs I saw while watching were obvious and did not require a replay or a closer look.

After the first day it looks like West Liberty Salem may have too much for the field. In D3 they should when by 7 over Mt Gilead. I like Oakwood in D3 and Mentor In D3. After the D1 HJ any chance Gah.Lincoln had flew out the window.
WLS girls had a very strong day. Only Mt. Gilead can challenge them, but most of that depends on 3 wins from Johnson.

Boys D3 looks like it's anybody's to win. Any team that has enough entrants left to score more than 25 is in the hunt. It may take only 30 to walk out with a gold trophy. Columbus Grove hurt themselves big time. Africentric also hurt themselves by not making the 100 and 200 finals. Dalton hurt themselves by not making the 4x4 final but replaced those points by taking 5th in the 4x8. McDonald lost a couple by not winning the shot but more than replaced those by taking 3rd in the 4x8. Minster boys are another team very much in the hunt for the team title. It's going to be an interesting Saturday.

It looks like Columbus Grove didn't get out of prelims in a few events, and didn't score in the 4x800. May have opened it up for McDonald

When Johnson came thru in that 4X800 relay it may have given Mt. Gilead a slight lead over WLS.
Anyone get a split on Johnson in the 4x8. Based on the video it looked like she was lined up in about 6th when the leaders passed the baton but didn’t see her again until 300m in.

I had 2:04.6..... 57.5,-67.1 .... for Allison Johnson. looked tired at the end, but looked like she could have gone faster the last 150 if she needed to as well. ... then went 14.75 in the hurdles 15-20 minutes later

Having now had time to watch the entire DI prelim, all I can say is you're wrong. Every FS that was called was merited.
So, what do people think it is. Nerves? Something they do all season that doesn't get called until it's real important? At D2, there were only a few, but they seemed legit. We had an issue with a kid that would fidget at the line in distance races. We changed our relay order just to be safe. He was actually at a disadvantage as he would roll back, but we weren't chancing anything.

I will say that at the exchange zones for the 4x100 and 4x200 the officials were very good helping the kids out. One girl in particular kept stepping in front of the zone. When told to be careful, she moved about an inch and then kept on doing the same thing. Was really close to a technical infraction IMO, then took the least efficient hand off you can imagine which did not require being within 2 feet of the front of the zone.

I have a gripe with getting into the set position. There are a few kids/ teams that take way too long.