Who is your favorite author?

I don't think I've read a non-fiction history book since Guns, Germs and Steel. Wiki and researched papers are just too easy to get hold of and at least there's some review to moderate what's published. Before middle-school, I read every western/frontier hero book on the shelf at Franklin Elementary. Only thing I recall reading from the library, someone left a book laying out on a table by some people named Master's and Johnson. That was educational.

Non fiction: Tim Ferris, David Allen. I like books on productivity

Fiction: I hardly ever read Fiction but if I had to pick, Frank Bill. I do not believe he’s an exceptional writer, but I like the “Grit Lit” genre.

Non fiction: Tim Ferris, David Allen. I like books on productivity

Fiction: I hardly ever read Fiction but if I had to pick, Frank Bill. I do not believe he’s an exceptional writer, but I like the “Grit Lit” genre.

Omar, you spend 23 hrs a day on Yappi. When do you have time to be productive? lol.

j/k I could use some personal organization and non-procrastination motivationals. What do they talk about in those books?

I always say Twain because he can be LOL funny.

I've read everything published in book form by Elmore Leonard, westerns and crime.

I've read everything published in book form by J.P.S. Brown, westerns set in Arizona and northern Mexico.

I've read almost everything published in book form by Ernest Hemingway.

American History: I've read several by David McCullough and recommend The Wright Brothers,

even more by Stephen Ambrose and recommend Citizen Soldiers.

I've read a lot of books about the Civil War but learned the most from Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson.

Two of my favorite military historians are British,

John Keegan, I suggest Fields of Battle: The Wars for North America or The First World War,

and Max Hastings, All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945 (which is outstanding.) or The Korean War.

Omar, you spend 23 hrs a day on Yappi. When do you have time to be productive? lol.

j/k I could use some personal organization and non-procrastination motivationals. What do they talk about in those books?
Fair point, but I multi task a lot while I’m on here. I just really like checklists, organizing, etc. I try to only pull out a few techniques from each book bc trying to follow everything is too cumbersome.

Fair point, but I multi task a lot while I’m on here. I just really like checklists, organizing, etc. I try to only pull out a few techniques from each book bc trying to follow everything is too cumbersome.

Might be good summer reading for me. I've been meaning to reread a book I've not read in decades, Jerry Lucas' memory book. But I keep forgettin. (Did I forget to warn, old joke coming?).

i read all of the Eckert books back in the 80's. I enjoyed them a great deal and own most of them. I lost a little respect for him when it was pretty well established that Blue Jacket was really a Native American and not a kidnaped German kid.
Reading Eckert's Frontierman and the Conquerors got me interested in regional frontier history. But he does not let facts stand in the way of a good story.

claim Rebecca Galloway romance with Tecumseh in the Frontiersman, completely disproven
claim Marmaduke Van Swearingen was Shawnee chief Blue Jacket, completely disproven.

Yes I know, true history and old stories often intermix and he was liberal with such things. But as a amateur archeologist I could show you how much of his research and locations are spot on and field proven.... Yes, "the colonial/ Indian village was on the second hill above the spring next to this tributary of this river... You wouldn't believe the discoveries some of his research has lead to.

Yes I know, true history and old stories often intermix and he was liberal with such things. But as a amateur archeologist I could show you how much of his research and locations are spot on and field proven.... Yes, "the colonial/ Indian village was on the second hill above the spring next to this tributary of this river... You wouldn't believe the discoveries some of his research has lead to.
I am sure some of his research has lead to spot on locations, but at other time if you check his notes he is at the wrong location or he was used highly questionable sources.

For police procedurals i like Phillip Kerr and his protagonist Bernie Gunther......Bernie is a police detective/PI in Nazi Berlin, the world's greatest crime scene......at least 8 books in the series. Also enjoy Harlan Coben and Allen Eskins.