Who can name the 11 parishes that got together to start Elder?

Here is a little clip I found on YouTube. It shows the neat land marks that make up the Western Hills area. In this clip at the 48 second mark is a location called Millionaires Row. This is the series of houses you can find on Glenway Avenue as you drive towards Overlook Avenue. These houses were once the homes of Doctors, Lawyers and successful business folks that lived during the 1920's and maybe earlier. The craftsmanship of theses homes are awesome. After viewing this video I now kind of know what my Grandpa experienced back when he was 18 (see previous post)
While growing up and attending St. Teresa (1970's) I knew a few kids that lived in these homes (obviously not millionaires).

Enjoy :)

Nice video but Just to clarify -- at the 48 sec mark there is a shot looking east of the homes at the corner of Hermosa Ave. and Carnation Cir. --

1678284668494.png

Columbus Diocese survey: Top 3 reasons parents choose Catholic schools (in order): 1) Academics 2) Rigor/discipline 3) Religion

Add to that the church told people during covid it's not important to attend mass.
Without the Churches/Mass Elder's purpose is not being served. Last week when I sat at that Mass and noticed that the church was half full, it made me sad. Even this thread has turned from one of what churches formed to move of a history lesson.

At the time I think the best decision with the information we had at the time was to close the churches. I know my church in NKY we closed, but my wife and I worked to get an online version out to our parish. It wasn't the same as being at Mass, but he was a good faith effort to ke ep people receiving the sacrament. We have now shut it down in order to get people back.

I am envolved with a That Man Is You group (TMIY) at my parish and one of the stats we received this week was that only 22% of Catholic attend Mass weekly. (The stat was from about 2013) I fear that stat has only gone down in the last 10 years. I jokingly say in the fall, I attend church twice a week once on Sunday Morning and again on Friday Night. I fear a large number of the Elder community only attends on Friday Night.

If you want to see full pews, go to one of the Spanish language masses at Holy Family or St. William. I am not ashamed to say I need God in my life. So many affluent Americans believe that they do not. About ten years ago, we had a visitor from Europe. This 19 year old girl was raised Catholic. When we talked about going to Mas, she asked "why?" She said that the churches in Europe are mostly tourist sites and that people just do not go on a regular basis. I guess we are catching up with them now.

Without the Churches/Mass Elder's purpose is not being served. Last week when I sat at that Mass and noticed that the church was half full, it made me sad. Even this thread has turned from one of what churches formed to move of a history lesson.

At the time I think the best decision with the information we had at the time was to close the churches. I know my church in NKY we closed, but my wife and I worked to get an online version out to our parish. It wasn't the same as being at Mass, but he was a good faith effort to ke ep people receiving the sacrament. We have now shut it down in order to get people back.

I am envolved with a That Man Is You group (TMIY) at my parish and one of the stats we received this week was that only 22% of Catholic attend Mass weekly. (The stat was from about 2013) I fear that stat has only gone down in the last 10 years. I jokingly say in the fall, I attend church twice a week once on Sunday Morning and again on Friday Night. I fear a large number of the Elder community only attends on Friday Night.
I don't think Elder or the other Catholic schools care very much. As long as there are students, that's all they care about. If the religion aspect was indeed that important, they wouldn't make the mandatory Religion class the easiest class, and actually teach some Church doctrine. Or maybe they'd mandate that their faculty and Catholic students attend Mass weekly on Sundays. The fact of the matter is, sadly, Religion isn't that important to Catholic Schools.

I know in my 8 years of Catholic grade school and Undergrad and Grad school at 2 different Catholic Universities, about the only thing we learned was "God is good. Treat others as you want to be treated." The religion books were so generic and you could tell the teachers were just going through the motions in teaching religion.

Unfortunately, Church and Mass just isn't important to Elder or other Catholic schools. They say it is, but when push comes to shove, it just isn't.

If you want to see full pews, go to one of the Spanish language masses at Holy Family or St. William. I am not ashamed to say I need God in my life. So many affluent Americans believe that they do not. About ten years ago, we had a visitor from Europe. This 19 year old girl was raised Catholic. When we talked about going to Mas, she asked "why?" She said that the churches in Europe are mostly tourist sites and that people just do not go on a regular basis. I guess we are catching up with them now.
Again referring to TMIY They often talk about how Europe is a few years ahead of the US. How do we prevent that?

I don't think Elder or the other Catholic schools care very much. As long as there are students, that's all they care about. If the religion aspect was indeed that important, they wouldn't make the mandatory Religion class the easiest class, and actually teach some Church doctrine. Or maybe they'd mandate that their faculty and Catholic students attend Mass weekly on Sundays. The fact of the matter is, sadly, Religion isn't that important to Catholic Schools.

I know in my 8 years of Catholic grade school and Undergrad and Grad school at 2 different Catholic Universities, about the only thing we learned was "God is good. Treat others as you want to be treated." The religion books were so generic and you could tell the teachers were just going through the motions in teaching religion.

Unfortunately, Church and Mass just isn't important to Elder or other Catholic schools. They say it is, but when push comes to shove, it just isn't.
If what you are saying is true, Elder is failing ALL of its graduates. It won't be around for another 100 years.

Along these things, in all seriousness, I'm surprised sports wasn't in the top 3 reasons people mentioned.

Like anything else, this is an evolution. While many Catholics might not attend Mass as much, it doesn't necessarily reflect a dive in Catholic principles either. There are many, many things that a Catholic education is good for, and to point the finger at Mass statistics doesn't really tell the whole story.

I'd argue more that it's declined because of the lack of faith in the leadership of the Catholic hierarchy. As in many walks of life, they felt taken advantage of by the people at the top because of lies and cover-ups. If you can't trust it, it makes sense you're going to lose a following. In saying that, the congregation of parishes still do many, many things to ensure a sense of positive community.

Along these things, in all seriousness, I'm surprised sports wasn't in the top 3 reasons people mentioned.

Like anything else, this is an evolution. While many Catholics might not attend Mass as much, it doesn't necessarily reflect a dive in Catholic principles either. There are many, many things that a Catholic education is good for, and to point the finger at Mass statistics doesn't really tell the whole story.

I'd argue more that it's declined because of the lack of faith in the leadership of the Catholic hierarchy. As in many walks of life, they felt taken advantage of by the people at the top because of lies and cover-ups. If you can't trust it, it makes sense you're going to lose a following. In saying that, the congregation of parishes still do many, many things to ensure a sense of positive community.

In my experience, the majority of parents don't consider sports a high priority. I certainly know some that do but most don't. Of course, that could be a function of the schools/groups I am in/at.

TO quote someone from the Diocese: We wish religion was #1 but it is not.

In my experience, the majority of parents don't consider sports a high priority. I certainly know some that do but most don't. Of course, that could be a function of the schools/groups I am in/at.

TO quote someone from the Diocese: We wish religion was #1 but it is not.
Maybe a better way to phrase it is the extracurricular activities kids are involved in, not just sports. Things to keep them busy in a positive way and to form friendships with others.

Maybe a better way to phrase it is the extracurricular activities kids are involved in, not just sports. Things to keep them busy in a positive way and to form friendships with others.

I would still say the same: Those are "nice to haves" but don't carry the same weight as #1 and #2. Again, in my experience, and I deal with a lot of parents.

I would still say the same: Those are "nice to haves" but don't carry the same weight as #1 and #2. Again, in my experience, and I deal with a lot of parents.
I think sports are quite a bit more important than you think they are. Would Elder be as strong as it is without the the strength and tradition of their football, baseball, basketball, wrestling programs and other athletics?

If their football team was performing like Oak Hills, Taylor, West High, or other schools for years at a time, that would probably spell trouble for the school.

I think sports are quite a bit more important than you think they are. Would Elder be as strong as it is without the the strength and tradition of their football, baseball, basketball, wrestling programs and other athletics?

If their football team was performing like Oak Hills, Taylor, West High, or other schools for years at a time, that would probably spell trouble for the school.

I think for a segment of parents they certainly are. What % of Elder students play varsity sports? Again though, my perspective is certainly influenced by the types of schools we have chosen and the people we associate with.

I think for a segment of parents they certainly are. What % of Elder students play varsity sports? Again though, my perspective is certainly influenced by the types of schools we have chosen and the people we associate with.
It's not just about the % of kids that play sports. Which at Elder may be 15-20% (I'm guessing). It's about the culture. Elder always has the biggest cheering section, for all sports. Kids want to find a place of belonging, so they get that cheering for the sports that they don't play. The student section is Elder's best marketing tool IMHO. Without rock solid sports and the facilities to back it up, Elder isn't nearly what it is currently.

I’m looking in as an outsider here but remember a decade ago Catholics complaining about their tithes being used to pay off settlements with abuse victims. Could that be a factor in the decline in attendance?

I think someone above said distrust of leadership. I think that is certainly a part.

I have posted this link(s) on another thread (can't remember which one) but I would like to share it again here.

Church Militant is a Catholic Website that exposes the corruption and massive cover-ups of the current Catholic Hierarchy and why the Catholic Church is in the downward spiral it is in.

Michael Voris has been doing this for 17 years. His segment called the Vortex (second link) has hundreds of stories, interviews, and investigations on how the Catholic Church has failed its people. He tells the truth no matter how hard it may be to accept.
He also gives a lot of hope to people to stay on the path of True Catholicism and what you can do to help.

Let me know what you think....

You mean the students being Catholic just isn't important to them. The schools still have all-school masses, such as the one both Elder and X held on Ash Wednesday. Each school day begins with a prayer. Most sporting events, games and/or practices begin and/or end with a prayer. Every student still attends kairos right? There's an entire incoming Freshmen mass for parents and students every year before the school term starts.

Maybe I'm reading you comment above wrong and you're specifically talking about Sunday Mass and attending Church, which in that case sure.

You mean the students being Catholic just isn't important to them. The schools still have all-school masses, such as the one both Elder and X held on Ash Wednesday. Each school day begins with a prayer. Most sporting events, games and/or practices begin and/or end with a prayer. Every student still attends kairos right? There's an entire incoming Freshmen mass for parents and students every year before the school term starts.

Maybe I'm reading you comment above wrong and you're specifically talking about Sunday Mass and attending Church, which in that case sure.
I am talking about Sunday Mass, it is a Commandment after all.

That's great that Elder had an all school mass and that they pray each day. However, why dont they have a weekly mass like the grade schools where the students must attend? Again, it just isn't important.

That's great that Elder had an all school mass and that they pray each day. However, why dont they have a weekly mass like the grade schools where the students must attend? Again, it just isn't important.
My locker partner freshman year at Elder was Jewish. Half of the kids at my parish school are unchurched or Baptist. Obviously, they would be opposed to mandatory Sunday Mass.

Part of parochial schools' mission is to witness. Just preaching to the choir doesn't fulfil that part of their mission.

Part of parochial schools' mission is to witness.
It is?

Elder's Mission
Our mission is to develop young men to strive for Altiora by serving God and others, embracing and living the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, while pursuing academic excellence.

My locker partner freshman year at Elder was Jewish. Half of the kids at my parish school are unchurched or Baptist. Obviously, they would be opposed to mandatory Sunday Mass.

Part of parochial schools' mission is to witness. Just preaching to the choir doesn't fulfil that part of their mission.
Well with parishes consolidating due to lack of attendance, but some schools flourishing, maybe mandatory church attendance to go to a Catholic School would help the church attendance problems.

It is?

Elder's Mission
Our mission is to develop young men to strive for Altiora by serving God and others, embracing and living the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, while pursuing academic excellence.

My understanding from my time on 2 Catholic school boards (I'm no church expert) but part of the mission for EVERY Catholic school was to grow the faith even though it may not be stated explicitly in a mission statement.

It is?

Elder's Mission
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2472 The duty of Christians to take part in the life of the Church impels them to act as witnesses of the Gospel and of the obligations that flow from it. This witness is a transmission of the faith in words and deeds. Witness is an act of justice that establishes the truth or makes it known.

All Christians by the example of their lives and the witness of their word, wherever they live, have an obligation to manifest the new man which they have put on in Baptism and to reveal the power of the Holy Spirit by whom they were strengthened at Confirmation.

So, "embracing and living the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church" requires one to witness their faith to others. It is part of the mission of Elder High School, so, yes it is.

I would imagine it's somewhat of a production to prepare a Mass for 700 students every week. Probably pretty tough to pull that off once a week, especially with everything else going on in the school.

I would imagine it's somewhat of a production to prepare a Mass for 700 students every week. Probably pretty tough to pull that off once a week, especially with everything else going on in the school.
Like I keep saying, it's not important, if it was they would.

Another reason people are leaving the Church is there are so many excuses for things they don't do.

Fair point. My guess would be because fewer of their student body are actually Catholic compared to the grade schools? Each of the grade schools also have a church and usually pastor affiliated with their parish on site daily - though I know that's changing somewhat with the Beacons of Light implementation.

Last edited: