Who can name the 11 parishes that got together to start Elder?

Great map. It pretty much bears out what I said. You can see the three villages that made up Saylor Park and the villages of Trauttman's Anderson Ferry/Station, Warsaw and Covedale. The Delhi Township borders were basically Rosemont to the East, Cleves Warsaw to the North and the Ohio River to the South, with the Western border made by the Northern border intersection with the Ohio River.
The library has some great historic maps that are viewable online. I have used them to research “ghost” roads that have disappeared over the years like parts of Devils Backbone, Muddy Creek and Hearne. They have a map of historic postal delivery routes that includes a statement that the post carrier will not climb the switchback on Ebeneezer in bad weather. 😁

The library has some great historic maps that are viewable online. I have used them to research “ghost” roads that have disappeared over the years like parts of Devils Backbone, Muddy Creek and Hearne. They have a map of historic postal delivery routes that includes a statement that the post carrier will not climb the switchback on Ebeneezer in bad weather. 😁
Can you still drive on Muddy Creek all the way to Cleves Warsaw?

No. There are sections of Muddy Creek and Devils Backbone that are gone down in the valley along the creek.
Where Muddy Creek now ends and Devils Backbone starts back up there is a street sign that indicates Muddy Creek takes a left over a one lane bridge. I’ve been tempted to try it but I think it may be private property.

Yes they do. The West Side is strange with how many of our streets are today. Lots of streets that end and start up again elsewhere. Like Pedretti, St. Lawrence, Anderson Ferry, W-8th, etc.

Or streets that just change names, like when Glenway turns into Race or Wesselman turns into Johnson for example.

I know it's all due to expansion and development, and the "ghost" roads you mentioned; however, you would have thought someone would have said, just simplify these streets to avoid confusion. Heck, even some native west-siders get confused sometimes.

I'm surprised how often I see it spelled incorrectly, but there is no h (silent or otherwise) in St. Teresa.

Around 60 years ago while walking in the woods with my dad he showed me that Wulff Run Rd. went all the way to Rapid Run.

Around 60 years ago while walking in the woods with my dad he showed me that Wulff Run Rd. went all the way to Rapid Run.
That I didn't know. I drove back there once in high school. Got shot at. Couldn't turn around and get out of there fast enough.

I drove back there about five years ago. Pretty rough. You can only drive about 300 yards before it becomes impassable.

I drove back there about five years ago. Pretty rough. You can only drive about 300 yards before it becomes impassable.
If you go back far enough to cross Wulff Run four times, with the last crossing at the sometimes waterfall, then see the handmade sign "Verboten", one certainly went where one should not have been. Prior to 1973 that is.

Thought this website would interest those on here. It is short videos about local history, lots of places on the westside. I have been a subscriber for probably 10 years at this point. They do a great job!

If you go back far enough to cross Wulff Run four times, with the last crossing at the sometimes waterfall, then see the handmade sign "Verboten", one certainly went where one should not have been. Prior to 1973 that is.
That's funny as a classmate of mine lived in the last house and it was a pretty normal suburban home honestly.

Where Muddy Creek now ends and Devils Backbone starts back up there is a street sign that indicates Muddy Creek takes a left over a one lane bridge. I’ve been tempted to try it but I think it may be private property.
I believe the public road ends at the far side of the bridge and becomes private property. The county had to rebuild that bridge about 10 years ago because it is still a public road. The owners of the property moved their “private” sign to the near side of the bridge but the officials made them relocate it to the far side.

That's funny as a classmate of mine lived in the last house and it was a pretty normal suburban home honestly.
If it wasn't built in 1865, and had 23 creek rock steps leading up to the kitchen, you didn't go far enough. You have to go past the waterfall, up the hill about 1000', the house was on the north side before it burned down.

Thought this website would interest those on here. It is short videos about local history, lots of places on the westside. I have been a subscriber for probably 10 years at this point. They do a great job!
That's Satolli Glassmeyer's website. I graduated from St. Teresa in '71 with him.

I just followed Wulff Run Rd using Google Maps. How and the heck do those folks get out of there during a severe rain and or snow storm?

Some nice homes back there but I never knew about this road. I bet it's not fun going back there in the dark.

I just followed Wulff Run Rd using Google Maps. How and the heck do those folks get out of there during a severe rain and or snow storm?

Some nice homes back there but I never knew about this road. I bet it's not fun going back there in the dark.
Not all made it. In 1964 a young woman resident of Wulff Run was swept away in her car after a rain storm and drowned

My Grandpa (who died in 1988) born and raised in St. Michaels Parish (guessing 1910-1930's) . He told me a story about how he was treated as an outcast when he tried to attend Elder High School. Times were different then and the culture was quite segregated between the "rich" families which lived in upper Price Hill and the "River Rats" which lived in lower Price Hill. My Grandpa and his classmates were treated pretty badly (name calling, and ridiculed) to the point the situation became so "toxic" the Pastor of St. Michaels refused to pay it's portion of collection money to Elder High School. Back then a high school education was not really needed to obtain a job and or start a family. My Grandpa and a lot of his friends started to work in the many factories that made up Lower Price Hill. He work for the brick yard (he told me it was the land Crosley Field was built on) which turned into a grinding wheel machine shop. The shop then relocated to Werk Road where the sheet metal shop is now located (across from the old Werkhouse Bar).
Crazy story I know, but when you hear about it from someone who lived during that time makes you think.
By the way my Grandma only had a 6 grade education. Gosh things were different back then. :)
Sad story. I went to St. D when it was the largest EHS feeder school. I know some of the kids from the smaller schools had a hard time adjusting or fitting in. I have a classmate I consider a friend who went to OLPH who has never attended a reunion, despite the fact that he was well liked and several classmates have urged him to come. He still seems somewhat self conscious of where he fit in. A young couple (compared to my parents at the time) became good friends of our family. The husband grew up in St. Michaels and was perceived as having been a bit of a "hood" and a leather wearing "greaser". The wife was a nice Italian girl from St. William. They joked about it but I could see that there was a stigma. On the other hand, Denny Janson grew up in Lower Price Hill (I do not know if he attended St. Michael or Blessed Sacrament) and was very involved at Elder and very well liked. He wrote an article about walking from his home to Philips Swim Club and what a different and affluent world he saw at the top of the hill as he walked through St. Lawrence, Our Lady of Grace, Res, St. William and then St. Teresa's parishes.

From some of my social and volunteer work, I have seen how Lower Price Hill has been and still is an insular community. CPS actually made Oehler a K-12 school due to the fact that their students did not want to leave the neighborhood and felt uncomfortable in larger schools. Since their drop-out rate was so high once they entered 9th grade, they resolved the problem by keeping the high school kids in Lower Price Hill.

Why are so many of the Catholic Churches closing? Well because people aren't attending.

But why are people not going to Mass, but still sending their kids to Catholic school?

Why are so many of the Catholic Churches closing? Well because people aren't attending.

But why are people not going to Mass, but still sending their kids to Catholic school?
I would guess the Catholic schools have their own value to families separate from their religious life. My daughter sends her kids to Catholic school even tho she is not Catholic. I am not surprised that non-attending Catholics still utilize the schools. I belive all Christian faiths have had significant drops in membership. People’s ideas on organized religion have evolved. Non-traditional churches like Crossroads have picked up many members that were raised Catholic.

Columbus Diocese survey: Top 3 reasons parents choose Catholic schools (in order): 1) Academics 2) Rigor/discipline 3) Religion

Add to that the church told people during covid it's not important to attend mass.

Here is a little clip I found on YouTube. It shows the neat land marks that make up the Western Hills area. In this clip at the 48 second mark is a location called Millionaires Row. This is the series of houses you can find on Glenway Avenue as you drive towards Overlook Avenue. These houses were once the homes of Doctors, Lawyers and successful business folks that lived during the 1920's and maybe earlier. The craftsmanship of theses homes are awesome. After viewing this video I now kind of know what my Grandpa experienced back when he was 18 (see previous post)
While growing up and attending St. Teresa (1970's) I knew a few kids that lived in these homes (obviously not millionaires).

Enjoy :)

Here is a little clip I found on YouTube. It shows the neat land marks that make up the Western Hills area. In this clip at the 48 second mark is a location called Millionaires Row. This is the series of houses you can find on Glenway Avenue as you drive towards Overlook Avenue. These houses were once the homes of Doctors, Lawyers and successful business folks that lived during the 1920's and maybe earlier. The craftsmanship of theses homes are awesome. After viewing this video I now kind of know what my Grandpa experienced back when he was 18 (see previous post)
While growing up and attending St. Teresa (1970's) I knew a few kids that lived in these homes (obviously not millionaires).

Enjoy :)

Fun video. The sign for the Tubercular Hospital caught my attention because my dad was interred there when he was 20 years old and wasn’t expected to survive.