Where do you see St. Ed's in 20 Years?

sehs95

U.S. American
I was wondering what goals and expectations people have for St. Ed's over the next 20 years.

I would like to see enrollment around 1,100 (might not be realistic w/ declining grade school numbers). Obviously w/o lowering admissions standards.

I would to be in the top 10 in the state every year in National Merit scholars.

I would like to see the engineering program become a premier fixture at St. Ed's and nationally recognized.

I would like to see completion of the current capital improvement projects (chapel, athletic field, Lowe center). I would also like to see A/C added to the entire school and a major overhaul of the main Gymnasium.

I would like to see total expansion over to Nicholson. Buy up Bobsons and the remaining houses.

I'd like to see major improvement in the Band program. Perhaps the hiring of a second band director.

20 state championships in wrestling, 11 in Hockey, 10 in football ;) , 6 in basketball, 3 in baseball, 2 in golf, and 1 in track.

I believe Ed's now owns Bobson's. I noticed trucks there emptying the remaining contents and was told Ed's bought the property.

This year's incoming frosh class has 250 Herbs.

SEHS95, I don't know about the A/C thing, but all your other ones certainly seem to be achievable...well the state championship stuff might be a little hard.

Nice list.

I would like to see more Alumni involvement from the younger generation of Eagles. Instead of waiting until you're in your 40's to get involved, get involved now!

Have they acquired any houses along Nicholson yet?

I could have sworn I first heard the Bobson deal several years ago. Perhaps it was an option...

St. Ed's owns 1334 Nicholson and 1350 Nicholson. I can't find any evidence on the Cuyahoga County recorder's website that St. Ed's owns the Bobson's property. I'm not positiive, but I don't think there is a house at 1334. I think it is adjacent to the Nicholson entrance and is used for parking.

St. Ed's tore down the 1334 property to make it a parking lot...along with moving the mobile units. The land the mobile units were stationed was owned by the railroad and St. Eds now has a lease for that part of the parking lot.

St. Eds rents out the other piece of property since it is two house from the Nicholson parking lot.

St. Eds is very close to completing the deal with Bobson's and hopefully with some luck that will become an additional parking area by this next fall.

I'm pulling these from the "will never happen" file, but wouldn't it be great if the RTA could make use the backyard tracks for a new line connecting downtown with the northwest suburbs. Of course, there would have to be a stop at Bunts and Detroit to service St. Ed's students.

I also wonder what the feasibility of purchasing the apartments to the west of the school. I don't know the value of the land, or what would go there, but it would allow the school to expand even more.

JazzyJeff said:
I'm pulling these from the "will never happen" file, but wouldn't it be great if the RTA could make use the backyard tracks for a new line connecting downtown with the northwest suburbs. Of course, there would have to be a stop at Bunts and Detroit to service St. Ed's students.

I also wonder what the feasibility of purchasing the apartments to the west of the school. I don't know the value of the land, or what would go there, but it would allow the school to expand even more.

I believe they were recently put up for sale and offered to St. Ed's at a very good price.... But with the capital improvement project tieing up funds... there was no way to make it happen. I think for now that is a very long term goal.. but something the school is very interested in.

sehs95 said:
I believe they were recently put up for sale and offered to St. Ed's at a very good price.... But with the capital improvement project tieing up funds... there was no way to make it happen. I think for now that is a very long term goal.. but something the school is very interested in.

I hope so sehs, I think the school should hold off on the athletic field until that land is purchased, that way, if the school ever wanted to add bleachers and lights, there would be room. The school has gone awhile without a nice field, what's five/ten more years to raise the money? If we're gonna do it, let's do it right.

Ironic that 50 some years ago the land St. Eds is on was bought from the guy who owned those apartments...

JazzyJeff said:
Whoever takes over the band from Burns will be an improvement.

Thats your opinion. He's only built the arts program into one of the best in the state without the facilities. He's a broadway director at our high school. Please before you pass judgement, why don't you go see one of the shows

sehs - I think the "Marching Band" is the reason some criticize Mr. Burns. Perhaps it really is just too few bandos due to lack of interest, but the "Marching Band" is just not very good at football games. I know they do well elsewhere, but they are barely, if at all, audible during games and the number xylophones is just a little embarrassing.
While the competitions are nice, the primary focus of most other bands is entertainment at football games. We should do the same.

sehs,

I have to side with EagleFan. The band does a great job at concerts, shows, etc.

The football games need serious improvement. Broadway music isn't the type of music fans want to listen too at a football game to get pumped up.

Also the band being small really hurts as it is very hard to hear them on the field at Lakewood.

I have to agree with sehs on Mr. Burns work in the fine arts department. There is only one area lacking in the fine arts department and that's the size of the band. If the school is able to draw more members of the band I think you will see some improvement.

Mr. Burns does not have the facilities yet the fine arts department does an excellent job with developing the talents of the students.

I don't know about St. Ed's in particular, but, unless a broad based voucher-type system is instituted, I expect that only a handful of Catholic high schools will remain in the Cleveland area in 20 years. I would expect St. Ed's to be a survivor but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think St. Ignatius will also be a survivor but they will have their issues as well.

Expect enrollment slides in about 5 years.

I would think the big four single-sex schools on the west side (Ed's, Ign, SJA, Mags) will be around in 20 years, however, who in 1980 predicted St. Joe's would be Division IV and coed?

Schools like Central Catholic and St. Augustine may be doomed, but I am not familiar with their finances. I know Augustine's is having a problem holding on to coaches, ADs, etc. as well. I also have a hard time believing Chanel and Regina will be able to take an enrollment hit and continue to stay open.

Also, will three coed schools on the south side, which of them, if any, will be around? My money is on Padua over Trinity and Holy Name. But again, I don't know anything about their finances, I'm doing my best Butch Davis impression and goin' with my gut.

i have suggested to some higher authorities of the band that we start a littler earlier and do two different shows....one for football games and one for competitions...with totally different styles of music...

St. Edward will be here in 20 years. Enrollment and applications are up and I am not sure why there would be a significant drop in the next 5 years.

St. Edward also continues to grow their endowment too, which will help ensure the stability of the school. The oldest St. Edward alums are now only 69 years old.

JJ I believe that the independant Catholic schools will have a better chance at survival then the school's owned and operated by the diocese. I believe that the independant school's administrations will react quickly to possible trends and make decisions that will better benefit the schools. I believe Padua will survive over Holy Name, not sure about Trinity though. I believe the four single sex schools on the west side will survive which does not include St. Augustine.

St. Ed's endowment needs to get higher. For it to remain the school it was founded as it needs to be affordable to the regular and lower middle class.