What's going on over at LaSalle?

AoC wouldn’t “flex their muscle” for the longest time on issues with LaSalle because of the relationship they both have with Binzer? AoC has become a total joke? The AoC is sending out memos about the LaSalle Board while trying to put Binzer in a Pastoral role at a LaSalle feeder? Who more full of sh_t LaSalle Board and Principal or AoC?

This is why it has taken so long IMO. They’ve basically had someone cover for all their issues for many years.

Supposedly the last three classes (current frosh, soph and incoming 8th graders for next year) have barely been over 100.

Last edited:
It was pretty big for the St. I kid to switch to Elder. I hope he has a good experience, because that can have a trickle down effect. St. Ignatius can become a decent size feeder for Elder.
Kids have been coming to Elder from Ignatius for over a decade. TC Klusman and Taylor Lee come to mind.

I believe there was mention of the Archdiocese not happy with Lasalle not hitting their enrollment and fundraising numbers. I don't know how true that is, because Lasalle had a big donation to upgrade the school.

So they removed the board members and replaced with a new board? It sounds like there are complaints of the principal but the Archdiocese is backing the principal? It's all very confusing.

From what I gather the principal wants them to go more back to their roots / feeder kids, focus more $$ on academics and classroom upgrades and less on brining in “athletes” with the $$ they have available for scholarships and financial aid. I guess many on the board don’t like his philosophy?? The Facebook pages are really interesting to read. You get the clear impression there is a disconnect between the school and many of the traditional feeder families.

From what I gather the principal wants them to go more back to their roots / feeder kids, focus more $$ on academics and classroom upgrades and less on brining in “athletes” with the $$ they have available for scholarships and financial aid. I guess many on the board don’t like his philosophy?? The Facebook pages are really interesting to read. You get the clear impression there is a disconnect between the school and many of the traditional feeder families.

Oh, the horror. :rolleyes:

Regardless, nothing will likely happen except LS will be required to manage the finances a bit better. They’re not going to close or merge.

There’s nothing wrong with branching out beyond feeders.

Wasn't referring to that part so much as the focus on academics. However, feeders should be the #1 focus. But, you are correct, one of the missions of the schools is to "evangelize" so they should be extending their reach.

Totally agree. That wasn’t exactly what I was trying to say. It was more where the focus academically, athletically and financially should be. I think that is the big underlying issue over there.

LaSalle got away a bit from tradition and now apparently some want it back. Always a real challenge “going back” while usually “selling” moving forward. The alleged “ large donation” if true I’m sure had some AoC stipulations? The true Enrollment numbers say last 5 yrs at LaSalle should not be a secret.

LaSalle got away a bit from tradition and now apparently some want it back. Always a real challenge “going back” while usually “selling” moving forward. The alleged “ large donation” if true I’m sure had some AoC stipulations? The true Enrollment numbers say last 5 yrs at LaSalle should not be a secret.

I thought someone posted that both Mercy/McAuely's and Lasalle's past few freshmen classes had been under 100. Did I imagine that?

Alumni donors can certainly have a voice to be heard with donations or withholding donations. Lasalle has 3 more phases to go in their Always Be project. The website says they have $4 million donated from 45 donors. The total project cost estimate is $20.5 million.

I thought someone posted that both Mercy/McAuely's and Lasalle's past few freshmen classes had been under 100. Did I imagine that?

Don’t think you imagined that but not sure if was something official from the School or AoC. Usually some discrepancy between “real numbers” and what’s being posted on here.

I’m told Mercy Mcaulay is considerably below 100 for next year (freshman).The good news is if you are one of those girls, the school should have $$$ for you. The bad news is, a few more years like this, and they won’t have a school.

I’m told Mercy Mcaulay is considerably below 100 for next year (freshman).The good news is if you are one of those girls, the school should have $$$ for you. The bad news is, a few more years like this, and they won’t have a school.

That surprises me given what's going on at many public schools.

Seton is "killing it" with enrollment of about 190 for the incoming class. 9 Girls from St. James but heard they were all dancers
Whoa. What's Seton doing that Mercy McAuley isn't? Are they just getting more westside girls that in a different time would've gone to Mercy? Or are they getting girls from all over now?

Whoa. What's Seton doing that Mercy McAuley isn't? Are they just getting more westside girls that in a different time would've gone to Mercy? Or are they getting girls from all over now?
Id say both. Seton basically mirrors Elder's drawing power now. The closing of Mercy really devasted traditional Mercy families. They have zero allegiance to McAuley and many more are choosing Seton and Ursula. Visitation was likely the top traditional feeder to Mercy, but McAuley attracts single digit girls from Visi each year and 30+ choose Seton.

From what I am hearing during my research, as I have 7th grader daughter, is that people are worried that MM is not going to be around that much longer & this is from moms that went to MM or Mercy. From what I was told from people @ St James was this year may be more of a one off as those girls are in the dance program. Not sure what Seton's #'s were from St I's 8th grade class other than they got a couple vball players

Last edited:

Nothing. Everyone is worried about Mercy McAuley closing and without another girls school on the westside, they should get 180-200 kids per year. Several years ago the Class of 2019 only had 95 kids in it at Seton. When Mercy closed, their enrollment finally got back to where it should be. Unfortunately theyve made so many changes to the school they cant handle many more kids.

I know this is broken record for schools like Lasalle but when the traditional feeder families and the incoming new reach to kids going to school there who are bound for Elder or X flips to smaller schools for what the parents feel is best for their kids mostly due to sports (excluding academics for this) and have to pay the full tuition only to see kids from other unknown area's come in a "much different" tuition program. You have to ask yourself isnt about time they take a closer look at who is sitting in their classrooms and how they got there? The ADC supports enrichment of expanding the catholic faith to as many people they can but to what degree is right versus morally questionable? I am a fan of providing an opportunity to any kid or family, but over the last decade it seems that some schools have taken it to another level.

I know this is broken record for schools like Lasalle but when the traditional feeder families and the incoming new reach to kids going to school there who are bound for Elder or X flips to smaller schools for what the parents feel is best for their kids mostly due to sports (excluding academics for this) and have to pay the full tuition only to see kids from other unknown area's come in a "much different" tuition program. You have to ask yourself isnt about time they take a closer look at who is sitting in their classrooms and how they got there? The ADC supports enrichment of expanding the catholic faith to as many people they can but to what degree is right versus morally questionable? I am a fan of providing an opportunity to any kid or family, but over the last decade it seems that some schools have taken it to another level.
Yeah, but I’ll counter and say some of that is also jealousy. The key word being SOME.