What would you change?

bkmk1

If you could change anything about Ohio HS football, what would you change? Please keep it game rules/on the field things. Not anything about private vs. public, or open enrollment, or recruiting, etc... It is strictly about the game on the field. And all opinions should be respected. I'm interested in hearing as many thoughts on this as possible. Thanks and enjoy.

This rule I hate at all levels, but Ohio has it like everywhere else. I hate if a player is about to score, and they fumble it through the end zone. And then the other team gets the ball at their own 20 (aka: touchback). I would really prefer that the fumbling team gets to keep the ball at point of fumble. The defense never recovers, so (IMHO), THE OFFENSE SHOULD KEEP THE BALL.

This is an exercise in futility.

Once NFHS modifications are adopted they can't deviate from those rules.

Secondly, these are just complaints in general about football or high school football.

Having said that... The 30 point mercy rule. Make it at 33 points and 50 ends the game immediately after halftime.

Last edited:
This yes an exercise in futility.

Secondly, these are just complaints in general about football or high school football.

Having said that... The 30 point mercy rule. Make it at 33 points and 50 ends the game immediately after halftime.
I know pre-mercy rule this board had many a heated discussion surrounding getting kids who don't normally get playing time some playing time in those lopsided affairs but I agree here. I get the opposing argument BUT at some point enough is enough. Just end it.

Want to try something revolutionary, get rid of the chains.

All first downs revert back to the previous five yard line. Two lines to gain. No more measuring. The chains are never kept that precise at a high school game. It's all theater to make it look like they serve a purpose. They just waste time.

Also, no more half the distance penalties. Every penalty gets normal yardage unless it goes into the endzone and the ball is set at the goal line.

A 15 yard penalty from 20 goes to the 10 but a 5 yard penalty from the 8 goes to the 4. You're incentivising penalties near the goal line. If offensive holding in the endzone can award a safety, a defensive penalty near the endzone should at least move the ball to the goal line.

Want to try something revolutionary, get rid of the chains.

All first downs revert back to the previous five yard line. Two lines to gain. No more measuring. The chains are never kept that precise at a high school game. It's all theater to make it look like they serve a purpose. They just waste time.

Also, no more half the distance penalties. Every penalty gets normal yardage unless it goes into the endzone and the ball is set at the goal line.

A 15 yard penalty from 20 goes to the 10 but a 5 yard penalty from the 8 goes to the 4. You're incentivising penalties near the goal line. If offensive holding in the endzone can award a safety, a defensive penalty near the endzone should at least move the ball to the goal line.
My dad was born in 1916. That year Georgia Tech played Cumberland Valley.Do you know what the final score was? 222 to 0. I wonder what Cumberland Valley's coach told his team at halftime. Well boys were only down 126 to 0. Hang in there. The bus leaves at 5 PM sharp.

I know pre-mercy rule this board had many a heated discussion surrounding getting kids who don't normally get playing time some playing time in those lopsided affairs but I agree here. I get the opposing argument BUT at some point enough is enough. Just end it.
They do get playing time, it's called JV games. That's why the rule works, most of these kids are playing at 10 am the following day.

This rule I hate at all levels, but Ohio has it like everywhere else. I hate if a player is about to score, and they fumble it through the end zone. And then the other team gets the ball at their own 20 (aka: touchback). I would really prefer that the fumbling team gets to keep the ball at point of fumble. The defense never recovers, so (IMHO), THE OFFENSE SHOULD KEEP THE BALL.
Can't do this. As it stands now essentially any live ball that goes through the endzone is a touchback, that's not a bad thing to keep it simple. Even a missed field goal goes to the 20

4 weeks of playoffs. 6 weeks too long. Too many week 2 and 2 blowouts. Teams should have to earn playoffs. Every game should be important. Now you have teams with losing records making the playoffs. Seasons too long. Shouldn't have to start the season in the middle of August.
We had it perfect with 5 before

They do get playing time, it's called JV games. That's why the rule works, most of these kids are playing at 10 am the following day.
JV and freshmen games are getting significantly harder to rely on for small schools. There's several times in the last 5 or so years that our school will have a blowout game on Friday, young guys get extremely limited playing time because of the running clock, and then the losing team cancels the JV game.

This yes an exercise in futility.

Whats the thought behind 33?

JV and freshmen games are getting significantly harder to rely on for small schools. There's several times in the last 5 or so years that our school will have a blowout game on Friday, young guys get extremely limited playing time because of the running clock, and then the losing team cancels the JV game.
Maybe for D6 and under but I have not had a single JV game cancelled due to this reason

Can't do this. As it stands now essentially any live ball that goes through the endzone is a touchback, that's not a bad thing to keep it simple. Even a missed field goal goes to the 20
Here would be my reasoning. On ANY OTHER FUMBLE that goes out of bounds, the offense retains the ball at either the spot of the fumble or where it went out of bounds based on the rule for: NFL, college, HS. The defense never recovered the ball, so the offense should keep the ball like every other fumble.

Last edited:
Here would be my reasoning. On ANY OTHER FUMBLE that goes out of bounds, the offense retains the ball at either the spot of the fumble or where it went out of bounds based on the rule for: NFL, college, HS. The defense never recovered the ball, so the offense should keeo the ball like every other fumble.
Here's why that reasoning doesn't work though, because the offense is the force putting the ball into the endzone. Keep in mind as well a true fumble recovered in the endzone by the offense is a TD as well. At the end of the day any play where the ball is going into the end zone is high risk/high reward upon my interpretation of the rule. Keep in mind too that it's a safety and turnover if the offense loses it out of the back of their endzone or is tackled with forward momentum within the EZ.