What was your fav radio station when you were growing up?

I remember this WMMS commercial when in Jr High, Murray Saul had the best tag line to kick off the weekend.

Z-Rock. Pirate Radio Station that played metal that other stations would not touch. Might of been out of Houston but if one searched long enough you would find it somewhere any night.

WTUE as for a local station......

From Cincinnati Magazine, Robin Woods sultry voice, Eddie Finger's irreverent humor, Wildman Walker's outrageous take on sports (Free Pete Rose banner flying over Riverfront Stadium and his 1991 64 day billboard sitting boycott of the Bengals) and the dorky Bob the Producer, made the Dawn Patrol the best morning show in the country:

The jokes—and WEBN’s success—reached a peak in the late ’80s, with new additions to the Dawn Patrol. Sports reporter Wildman Walker came aboard in 1985, as did Eddie Fingers, who partnered with Robin Wood. Kopp and Bird became the News Brothers. Bob Berry joined the station in 1988, though initially, he says, just to “write bits for Robin and Eddie.” But as a mom with young children, Wood usually left for home not long after the show ended. Berry would brainstorm ideas with Fingers, who began to encourage him to do the skits himself on the air. Thus was born Bob the Producer. His eulogies, his phone calls to unsuspecting businesses, and his recurring character of Biker Bob soon became popular. His on-air vasectomy brought particular attention to the show and to his emerging persona. “That was a great cast and a great time,” Berry recalls. “The chemistry was really good. Robin was the voice of reason. And Eddie was perfect. After he left, they never really had an answer for who should be in the hot seat.”

Began with WSAI and like most the favorite DJ was Jim Scott. This was on AM radio. As FM radio reception and format improved WEBN became THE station to listen to in Cincinnati. I was on the Serpentine Wall for the first ten years of WEBN's Labor Day Weekend Fireworks on the river. Those were some crazy times. The group I partied with would get down to the wall around 9am of the day of the fireworks with coolers full of beer. There was plenty of live music and people watching to entertain you through the day. One year some Biker Chick was on the landing in front of the whole crowd dancing topless. I was surprised how long this went on before the police came in and told her to put something on. But it was pretty crazy. The first year guys were climbing the flagpoles right before the fire works to get a better view of the fireworks LOL. The next year the poles were greased so you couldn't climb them. In the first year too you had idiots jumping off the bridges into the Ohio River. In the last few years it did start to get a little too "rough". As it got closer to the time of the fireworks people would come down at the last minute to try and squeeze into prime viewing spots which started ending up in more and more fights because of all drunks. But it was an environment like I would imagine Woodstock was like. For the most part plenty of alcohol, and pot being used but everyone was chill and just partying. Like I said though ftoward's the end of the first ten years the fighting right before the fireworks started to get too bad and eventually they had a shooting in one of the parking garages one year and it was after that they stopped allowing all the alcohol to control the crowds better.

wmmsmushroomlogosf_122736_preview_1083_85_natural.png

Cleveland was a crazy place in the late '70s and WMMS was the soundtrack of the times. A personal favorite was the coffee break concerts, I was in school during most so I remember a friend's brother would tape them and we would listen the next day riding to school. Great times.

Warren Zevon ... one of the first concerts that I went to. Auggie, you might recognize the venue (https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/warren-zevon--1399367)

Began with WSAI and like most the favorite DJ was Jim Scott. This was on AM radio. As FM radio reception and format improved WEBN became THE station to listen to in Cincinnati. I was on the Serpentine Wall for the first ten years of WEBN's Labor Day Weekend Fireworks on the river. Those were some crazy times. The group I partied with would get down to the wall around 9am of the day of the fireworks with coolers full of beer. There was plenty of live music and people watching to entertain you through the day. One year some Biker Chick was on the landing in front of the whole crowd dancing topless. I was surprised how long this went on before the police came in and told her to put something on. But it was pretty crazy. The first year guys were climbing the flagpoles right before the fire works to get a better view of the fireworks LOL. The next year the poles were greased so you couldn't climb them. In the first year too you had idiots jumping off the bridges into the Ohio River. In the last few years it did start to get a little too "rough". As it got closer to the time of the fireworks people would come down at the last minute to try and squeeze into prime viewing spots which started ending up in more and more fights because of all drunks. But it was an environment like I would imagine Woodstock was like. For the most part plenty of alcohol, and pot being used but everyone was chill and just partying. Like I said though ftoward's the end of the first ten years the fighting right before the fireworks started to get too bad and eventually they had a shooting in one of the parking garages one year and it was after that they stopped allowing all the alcohol to control the crowds better.
I was there in 1977. It was a Thursday evening and I was working downtown at a part time job at Provident Bank as I worked my way through college. My girlfriend met me downtown and we got some dinner. I was still in my work clothes (dress shirt and tie) as we walked down to the Serpentine Wall. It was a great party and a great fireworks display. It was held to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the start of WEBN and was unknow to anyone who didn't listen to that station. There were maybe 100,000 people there, a fraction of the 500,000 it normally draws now.

I really felt like I was into something cool. It was not intended to be an annual event, but, it was such a good time, they just had to do it again.

Last edited:
Back in the late 60’s and early 70’s, you had to find underground FM stations, for the non top 40 dribble. Usually that meant College radio stations, like WKSU. Commercial FM, we had KMET in LA, and when I returned to Ohio in 71, WMMS was by far the best.

As a pre-teen, 96.5 WKDD Akron.
As a teen, 106.9 WRQK Canton (aka Rock107)
In college, 99.7 the Blitz Columbus was always on in the weightroom.

Honorable mentions to: 1480 WHBC Canton when hoping for a snow day and the U. of Akron’s venerable 88.1 WZIP for its Hip-Hop and R&B during the day, “night rock” in the evenings, and Saturday morning Polka.

grade school-77 WABC out of New York- was the famous Cousin Brucey, only came in at night on transistor radio. high school-WAMO out of Pittsburgh-soul, along with KQV and WDVE- Pittsburgh.

WLVQ (Q-FM 96) Fun fact: I actually dated Kristie Kemper in college...she was pretty fun lol.

102.7 I think........the WAZU...the wazoo from Dayton. Played current rock.

98.9 the bear from ft Wayne. Wanna say we had both dj school events