What the Hell is going on!

Assimilating to American culture doesn't mean everyone acts or is the same. The Eastern European Jew and the Italian Catholic have little in common. However, both came here in droves and both assimilated. It isn't hard to understand.
I understand … so what exactly do they need to do for you to consider they are assimilating … you won’t answer this because it proves me right … again!

I understand … so what exactly do they need to do for you to consider they are assimilating … you won’t answer this because it proves me right … again!
Assimilating to me means hearing the words of my grandfather that came from Austria. He told me more than once the most and greatest things in his life were: 1 His faith in God. 2. Family - wife and six children 3. Becoming a US citizen. Never once did he wave a flag other than that of the USA. Never heard him speak down about the USA not even after he came and found out the streets were not paved in gold like he was told before he came.

Assimilating to me means hearing the words of my grandfather that came from Austria. He told me more than once the most and greatest things in his life were: 1 His faith in God. 2. Family - wife and six children 3. Becoming a US citizen. Never once did he wave a flag other than that of the USA.
So they have to act like your grandfather … thanks, that is what I said … you guys just keep proving my points

So they have to act like your grandfather … thanks, that is what I said … you guys just keep proving my points
So what kind of assimilating do you think would be good for our nation. What steps does a person coming here have to do to become a US citizen?

Obey the law, speak the language, work for what you want etc That doesn't mean everyone is the same. Good lord you people.
LOL. The people crossing the border know more English than those Italian immigrants you referenced ever did.

Immigrants are as a group, the hardest working people I know.

LOL. The people crossing the border know more English than those Italian immigrants you referenced ever did.

Then why do we press one for English? Probese dumb.

And those Italians learned English

Reactions: y2h

Probably true for you. Just like its true for babbles that Hunter is the smartest person he knows.

Probably true for you. Just like it’s true for babbles that Hunter is the smartest person he knows.
Yeah. The couple that cleans my house work there butts off. So does the dude that keeps the men’s locker room at the Club. He is on his hands and knees scrubbing all the time. So does the grounds crew. Then you have the folks the put my roof on my house a few years ago. They were warriors in that heat. I’ll take their work ethic any day over your boys that can’t get a raise in this economy.

Then why do we press one for English? Probese dumb.

And those Italians learned English
Once again … I must have missed the day in government class where people coming to the US … HAD to speak English … didn’t know it was a requirement … sorry my bad … by the way this entire argument started because I said that you want them to look and talk like you ... and I was told no … just assimilate … which now you are saying that means TALK LIKE YOU!

Who said they don't learn English? Like I said, most already know English.
… I am sorry ... I am not buying it at all from them … they don’t want them in this country because they don’t look or talk like them … they hide behind all these other code words like assimilate and don’t work to try and hide their true feeling ... they don’t want them here because A) they don’t look like them B) they don’t talk like them and C) they don’t vote like them … they will come on here a deny it … but I can read between the lines for their true feelings.

… I am sorry ... I am not buying it at all from them … they don’t want them in this country because they don’t look or talk like them … they hide behind all these other code words like assimilate and don’t work to try and hide their true feeling ... they don’t want them here because A) they don’t look like them B) they don’t talk like them and C) they don’t vote like them … they will come on here a deny it … but I can read between the lines for their true feelings.

What a pant load of poo.

Do you really believe the gate should be wide frickin' open?

This is about an orderly and vetted process. You are supporting a free-for-all. Screw that.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

It was good enough for our forefathers … it’s good enough for me

Yeah. The couple that cleans my house work there butts off. So does the dude that keeps the men’s locker room at the Club. He is on his hands and knees scrubbing all the time. So does the grounds crew. Then you have the folks the put my roof on my house a few years ago. They were warriors in that heat. I’ll take their work ethic any day over your boys that can’t get a raise in this economy.
Do you ever think about what you say? I help my wife clean house. I don't go to Country Clubs boss. I'll hire local workers to do my roof. Get over facade

So what kind of assimilating do you think would be good for our nation. What steps does a person coming here have to do to become a US citizen?
Obey the laws of the country … support themselves (if given the opportunity)

To me I would give them a temporary green card are at the time they apply for asylum … good for 6 months to a years … however long it takes to have their hearing … at that hearing, if your request for asylum is granted then you get a green card and can apply for citizenship … and you will have 4 years more to prove you belong … after 5 years (from the time you arrive) if you have kept clean of the law (not speeding tickets, actual crimes) then you get your permanent citizenship … this is basically the same process now, except the temporary green card given in the beginning … letting them in the country and not letting them work for 6 months to a year is stupid and what is causing most of the problems.

Language has never been a prerequisite for citizenship … my father use to occasionally speak German … I couldn’t understand why a guy of Italian descent knew German … what he told me that he grew up in a German neighborhood (in Pittsburgh) where most of the adults spoke mostly German … that what immigrants do … their kids were the ones who learned English … it is no difference now with the immigrants coming into the country … except they also don’t look like us and speak mostly Spanish.

I don't know your age but I am guessing you never got a letter from the draft board saying we do not care if you will graduate college or not come June your four year deferment is up and your backside is ours. I do wish I would have kept that letter. Thank God for miracles and my opportunity to join the Ohio Air National Guard. Guard units had long waiting list during that time and it took over a year and a half and a change in recruiters to bring my name to the top. Old recruiter had special list that brought friends and family to the top, new one had not been there long enough to have a special list yet. 8 weeks boot, 13weeks 4 days tech school, and the remainder of 6 years spent weekend a month (always on super bowl weekend) 2 weeks active duty every summer. one extra weekend a year for riot training, and called up one time for riot duty for real. All that and you do not even get to be called a veteran and get veteran benefits. Except for Lowes they give us the veterans discount. The good news back then was being in the guard meant little if any chance to being called up and having to go to Vietnam and you did not have to be a draft dodger to make that happen.
First, thank you for your service and I appreciate what you did.
Second, the bolded part or your message above. YES, you are a Veteran and can enjoy all the benefits of local establishments, Golden Corral, etc. with a DD Form 214 and/or an ID Card issued by the VA during Veterans Day or at other times throughout the year with the same identification depending on the establishments rules. However, your Federal Veterans benefits are based upon the circumstances of your Active (Federal) Service, i.e. disabilities while actively serving. If you have questions concerning your entitlements, I would suggest you check out your county provided VA representation office to guide you through issues you may have.
Finally, National Guard units are under the authority of the state governor until such time a Presidential proclamation is issued, then you would have been called to "active duty" and since you are an old timer, you would have been issued a green ID card to replace that red National Guard/Reserve ID card and that active duty time would be reflected on your 214. National Guard benefits that you may be entitled, as stated in the respect state of service, may differ from those of us with active service, but again check with your VA reps..

Again, thank you for your service and you are in fact A VETERAN.

Last edited:
Do you ever think about what you say? I help my wife clean house. I don't go to Country Clubs boss. I'll hire local workers to do my roof. Get over facade
Do you ever think about what you say? After raising my kids and managing our household for 25 years, my wife does not need to clean my house with a little help from me. I don’t care if you don’t like golf. I do and so does my wife who plays twice a week BTW. I don’t care who you hire, I hired a local company who employs immigrants. They did a great job.

Take your dumb, tired old judgement BS and shove it. You sound like a bitter and angry little nobody. Be better.

Do you ever think about what you say? After raising my kids and managing our household for 25 years, my wife does not need to clean my house with a little help from me. I don’t care if you don’t like golf. I do and so does my wife who plays twice a week BTW. I don’t care who you hire, I hired a local company who employs immigrants. They did a great job.

Take your dumb, tired old judgement BS and shove it. You sound like a bitter and angry little nobody. Be better.
and you don't sound bitter and angry at all. :rolleyes:

Are you an American citizen? Are you proud to be an American citizen. Do you think this is the best place in the world to live and raise a family? Would you fight to protect this nation from enemies? Would you be willing to die to protect it. I do and that is what I want, expect and need from immigrants that legally come into our country. Anyone that has come illegally does not respect this nation enough to follow its laws to come and live here right from the start. and should be help to leave as soon as possible.

Obey the law, speak the language, work for what you want etc That doesn't mean everyone is the same. Good lord you people.
Embrace being an American, love of country, American first and foremost over your point of origin, embrace our customs and values.

You have to have a central point to rally around and bind us, a fractured society that sees itself as something other than American won't survive. This modern wave of illegals doesn't give 2 chits about being American.

Once again … I must have missed the day in government class where people coming to the US … HAD to speak English … didn’t know it was a requirement … sorry my bad … by the way this entire argument started because I said that you want them to look and talk like you ... and I was told no … just assimilate … which now you are saying that means TALK LIKE YOU!
Communication is kind of a basic fundamental element of society.

And suck up welfare money meant for citizens, and take up space in schools and hospitals meant for citizens