What schools do you think should or eventually will consolidate?

The Youngstown area has to look at all the existing school districts that have been losing enrollment numbers for years. There easily could be the merging of many school systems into central school districts. no longer is there a D1 size school in the area and the number schools that are falling below the D4 level is increasing every year.

My dad after he retired taught for one year at Continental and said it would be a cold day in heck before any of the putnam county schools ever discussed consolidation. The thing about some of those schools mentioned (well most i guess) is they don't have football to begin with. So do they really need to consolidate? not really. if their goal was to create football then yes but IMO those putnam schools are happy not offering football.

I've heard Ottoville, after building a brand new school in the last 10-15 years, now has seven empty classrooms. Not sure if Fort Jennings is having the same issue. Continental is losing students as well.

Srow78 - I think you just hit the near-future target - shared staffs for such things as HR, transportation purchasing, nursing/psychology staff, pools for insurance coverage, etc. Would reduce head count, which would resonate well with voters in many districts.

Arcanum and Franklin Monroe are only a few miles apart. I'd even go as far to throw Tri Village in there, too. They could have done that years ago and built a Junior/Senior HS where the old Arcanum middle school was on 127. Nice and central, with elementaries on either side of that hypothetical district. It probably would make an SWBL-size type of district.

I think Ohio has way too many school districts

Not trying to change the subject of the thread, but that is a big reason why you see football powerhouses in other states like Texas, Ohio doesn’t have ginormous schools like Allen and Lake Travis. They are mostly divided. Heck, Allen High School is the same size as if you combined Centerville, the largest high school in Ohio, and Northmont, another decently large D1 school.

Have you lived in or experienced these counties?

I live and experience in one of those counties and I agree. Auglaize county could integrate Waynesfield into Wapakoneta, probably turning a DIII into a DII. New Knoxville could integrate into St. Mary’s, who would now be a sure fire DIII. Then New Bremen (DVII) and Minster (DVI) could integrate, turning into a DIV school. I think this would be the best set up but then again I’m not a county executive

I live and experience in one of those counties and I agree. Auglaize county could integrate Waynesfield into Wapakoneta, probably turning a DIII into a DII. New Knoxville could integrate into St. Mary’s, who would now be a sure fire DIII. Then New Bremen (DVII) and Minster (DVI) could integrate, turning into a DIV school. I think this would be the best set up but then again I’m not a county executive

Waynesfield into Wapak: I actually hope that happens. I actually edited that into the 1st post earlier today.

New Knoxville into St Marys: It does make sense. If that'd happen, I'm sure quite a few will open-enroll into New Bremen. Selfishly, I'd rather see them merge with New Bremen.

New Bremen/Minster: I don't want to see it happen. It doesn't need to happen. Combined they would have 209 boys in grades 9-11 becoming the largest school in the league by a large margin.

Last edited:
I would buy land and build a moat with a drawbridge between the towns before they would ever merge school districts. And I would receive so many donations (from both sides) I would turn a profit.

Not trying to change the subject of the thread, but that is a big reason why you see football powerhouses in other states like Texas, Ohio doesn’t have ginormous schools like Allen and Lake Travis. They are mostly divided. Heck, Allen High School is the same size as if you combined Centerville, the largest high school in Ohio, and Northmont, another decently large D1 school.

Live, teach, coach in South Carolina and it amazes me at the differences in school and district organization that exist down here compared to back home. For starters, everything county is a district OR within a county you might have 5 or 6 districts BUT almost never would a school district encompass two counties or overlap two counties like you see sometimes in Ohio. Out of the 46 counties in SC I want to say over half are single school district counties (and its not the small rural ones either, its counties like Greenville, Charleston, Horry (Myrtle Beach) and Beaufort (Hilton Head)).

It will never happen, but there are 3 towns separated by about 6 miles along state route 66. You could end up with the name New Fort Minster.

Same area: Houston and Russia. Botkins and Jackson Center. Maybe even New Knoxville in with the 2nd.

Shelby County, like Putnam, is ripe for consolidation.

Waynesfield into Wapak: I actually hope that happens. I actually edited that into the 1st post earlier today.

New Knoxville into St Marys: It does make sense. If that'd happen, I'm sure quite a few will open-enroll into New Bremen. Selfishly, I'd rather see them merge with New Bremen.

New Bremen/Minster: I don't want to see it happen. It doesn't need to happen. Combined they would have 209 boys in grades 9-11 becoming the largest school in the league by a large margin.
I am only for consolidation if it truly needs to be done where new schools are needed.
Waynsefield has a newish school it looks like when i drive by but in terms of a 'town' there isnt much there at all. The drive to Wapak would be troublesome I think.

NB/Min: Dont need them, but if both of their places were dilapidated, and the area was a bit poor and the schools struggling then yeah, maybe I would.

I am only for consolidation if it truly needs to be done where new schools are needed.
Waynsefield has a newish school it looks like when i drive by but in terms of a 'town' there isnt much there at all. The drive to Wapak would be troublesome I think.

NB/Min: Dont need them, but if both of their places were dilapidated, and the area was a bit poor and the schools struggling then yeah, maybe I would.

I also feel like the drive to Wapak is pretty out of the way, which is why I don’t see the schools combining. Wapak is really Waynesfield closest option however. The only other options they have are Allen East and Shawnee, maybe even Indian Lake. All of them are pretty tough drives.

I want to see it happen. The WBL will gladly take DIV New Minster Bremen and remove a far trip to Defiance and pick up a school that would probably be a little more competitive. All jokes aside, I don’t think it will happen or needs to happen, it was all speculation. Just like thinking of St. Coldwater Henry ?

I want to see it happen. The WBL will gladly take DIV New Minster Bremen and remove a far trip to Defiance and pick up a school that would probably be a little more competitive. All jokes aside, I don’t think it will happen or needs to happen, it was all speculation. Just like thinking of St. Coldwater Henry ?
What's more likely? St. Henry merging with Coldwater, or Fort Recovery?

I think there'd be riots before St. Coldwater even becomes a thought ?

I think Mercer County is done consolidating unless the state loses their ever loving mind.

Same area: Houston and Russia. Botkins and Jackson Center.

Shelby County, like Putnam, is ripe for consolidation.
I'd agree with both of those but those schools like the Putnam ones are way too proud. Both of those combined schools would be plenty big enough for football especially if they would cut soccer.

A number of Catholic schools around the state.
I DOUBT this will happen but there could come a day when Lima Central Catholic and Delphos St. Johns consolidate. Create essentially one catholic high school for the greater Lima area. In NW Ohio we've already seen Fostoria St. Wendelin close its doors recently.
Fewer baptisms. High cost of tuition and higher property taxes in general will force many families to forgo sending their kids to Catholic schools. These are a few of the reasons, among others, that I see as a reason for consolidation in the future.
With rural areas, what some people call "County-Seat Ohio", there has been the idea spit-balled that if you merge the Catholic schools of two communities separated 15-20 miles from each other then you save the school and possibly increase enrollment. What ends up stalling the idea out is the fact you actually stand to lose more students than you gain from the idea because for 75-80% of the families those drives to school are extended even further.

With rural areas, what some people call "County-Seat Ohio", there has been the idea spit-balled that if you merge the Catholic schools of two communities separated 15-20 miles from each other then you save the school and possibly increase enrollment. What ends up stalling the idea out is the fact you actually stand to lose more students than you gain from the idea because for 75-80% of the families those drives to school are extended even further.
There is also the occasionally-discussed-in-passing thought that two religious schools of different denomination within a community could come together and unite behind the same mission, which solves some enrollment concerns (and could boost enrollment!) but at the same time poses a bunch of unusual, contentious issues that would both prevent it from getting off the ground and sustain its future.

This thought crossed my mind in regards to LCC and DSJ. How many students at DSJ come to them from Van Wert or Ottawa? Both would be pretty decent drive to LCC 5 days a week. Even if you did "lose" enrollment as a result of catholic school consolidation you'd gain some and the surrounding public districts would pick up the rest. Again, I have zero clue what DSJ's geographic reach is.

This thought crossed my mind in regards to LCC and DSJ. How many students at DSJ come to them from Van Wert or Ottawa? Both would be pretty decent drive to LCC 5 days a week. Even if you did "lose" enrollment as a result of catholic school consolidation you'd gain some and the surrounding public districts would pick up the rest. Again, I have zero clue what DSJ's geographic reach is.
Remember: it’s also a further drive for families in Delphos than where DSJ currently is!

Two basket case schools.. Sebring and West Branch. West Branch cant or wont support any tax issues and Sebring is down to graduating about 40-45 kids per year. Sebring population has settles down from 5K to about 4K and dropping. The schools are 2 miles apart. Sebring is entirely surrounded by West Branch. Both schools are losing population, money etc and it only makes sense. Now everyone that is in Sebring or Beloit will explain why something as common sense laden as this consolidation would be shouldn't happen. None of these will be good reasons but they will come up with them. I have heard people for years from Sebring say how great the education is there. I can tell you from experience it is a mess. It was a mess 50 years ago and ii is worse now. Look at the school rankings I think Sebring is in the bottom 10% of the state and they are fighting with districts like East Cleveland and the like at that bottom of the wrung.