What Movies Did You Watch in March 2020?

Agreed. That movie is so much better than it had any business being based on the premise.

Not to mention it has the severely underrated Kaya Scodelario.
One of the wettest movies I've seen. I hope Kaya didn't get pneumonia from being in the water so much (and I supose they had stuntwoman doing all the long underwater takes).

How the West Was Won (1962) - A monumental film shot in "Cinerama". It must have been awesome to have seen it on the big triple screen. It looked great on my home screen. The all-star cast is a whose-who of movie greats from the 30's-60's. A couple glitchy moments but, over all, an exellent film.

7/8

Catching up on the last couple weeks:

Uncut Gems: 5/8

Didn't quite end up being what I expected. I went in thinking Sandler would be more of the Alpha Dog, not the guy getting beat constantly for owing money. Solid performance by Sandler though. Though I get why it didn't end up making it to award season.

Dolittle: 4/8

Suitable for kids 13 and under. My kids got some laughs. It's a basic plot though and no great acting performances.

Ronin: 4.5/8

Had never caught this one before. A solid heist film with DeNiro and company. Spoiler alert, Sean Bean doesn't die!

Geostorm; 4.25/8

Silly premise, but still watchable and entertaining. What can I say, i'm a sucker for Gerard Butler.

The Ides of March: 5/8

Great cast, political "thriller" filmed in Cincinnati starting George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and others. Ending is a bit anti-climatic, but other than that very good.

Sin City: 4.5/8

Hadn't watched this in awhile. Still don't love it but it's still good in its own right. Worth watching for Carla Gugino if nothing else. Perhaps the most underrated "beauty" of my time.

Pan: 5/5/8

I don't care what the critics say, I love this take on Peter Pan. And if you look closely, it has shades of Star Wars in it.

21 Jump Street, the show:
I couldn't even make it through the first episode. It doesn't hold up at all.

Overlord - Although they get everything right from the weapons, the vehicles and uniforms, you know right from the start that it is going to be a flight of fantasy as there were no integrated units in WWII. Seeing a black platoon SGT leading a mostly white platoon is disconcerting to anyone who knows anything about WWII. Then the horror sets in.

Solid story and good production quality makes this a decent movie to watch.

5/8

Last edited:
With so many untold stories I wonder why they keep retelling the same story or change those repeated stories to try and make them new, particularly regards historically based.

“I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don’t care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all, your race is looking forward to you. Don’t let them down and, damn you, don’t let me down!”

There is a great documentary but how is that not a story anyone would want to see? One that delves into the lives and relationships. A story of pride and sacrifice, probably unknown to most (beyond the Jackie Robinson connection), no changes needed. Then is how we got to now. There have to be tons of original stories to be told that would satisfiy anyone's need to raise up, without the fantasy.

How the West Was Won (1962) - A monumental film shot in "Cinerama". It must have been awesome to have seen it on the big triple screen. It looked great on my home screen. The all-star cast is a whose-who of movie greats from the 30's-60's. A couple glitchy moments but, over all, an exellent film.

7/8
Saw it at it's premier in Houston. Two of us got to go there as part of a promotion by the Colt 45s. Astrodome hadn't been built yet. Stayed at the Shamrock Hilton. When the game was over Friday night we figured waiting for the bus back to the hotel would take forever so we decided to walk. I mean we could see the hotel was only three or so blocks away. What we didn't know was there was a shipping canal between us and the hotel. Walked a whole lot more than we had planned on.

Saw it at it's premier in Houston. Two of us got to go there as part of a promotion by the Colt 45s. Astrodome hadn't been built yet. Stayed at the Shamrock Hilton. When the game was over Friday night we figured waiting for the bus back to the hotel would take forever so we decided to walk. I mean we could see the hotel was only three or so blocks away. What we didn't know was there was a shipping canal between us and the hotel. Walked a whole lot more than we had planned on.
Uphill in the snow, both ways, in a freak snowstorn in Texas.....right?

Uphill in the snow, both ways, in a freak snowstorn in Texas.....right?
Thinking back I kinda think I would have preferred the snow to the humidity. Since Lone Star was the promotion of the weekend, we were also sweating out some suds.

Princess and the Frog (2009) - I haven't seen a Disney animation film in quite some time, but my 22 year old daughter was watching this and I didn't have anything better to do. As someone who loves New Orleans, I was very entertained. They did a good job capturing the feel of the city and there are many landmarks depicted in a very accurate way. Outside of the old prince and princess love story, the remainder of the story and subplots were very well thought out and compelling. The fact that it was hand drawn was a plus and the animation is outstanding.

6/8

True Romance (1993) 6/8 Good movie. Written by, but not directed by Tarantino. Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette play young lovers on the run after Slater kills Arquette's pimp and ends up with a suitcase full of cocaine. Cast is loaded and the story is good with several scenes that have Tarantino's fingerprints all over them. If you like Tarantino and you've not seen this one I highly recommend it.

Swingers (1996) 6/8 The first time I can remember seeing Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau on the big screen. The two play struggling actors coming up in Hollywood. Vaughn is the cool ladies man that everybody likes and Favreau plays the likable loser, hung up on an ex-girlfriend he can't seem to get over. The two had a lot of chemistry and Favreau wrote a good screenplay. I really liked this movie in college and it has held up well over the years.

True Romance (1993) 6/8 Good movie. Written by, but not directed by Tarantino. Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette play young lovers on the run after Slater kills Arquette's pimp and ends up with a suitcase full of cocaine. Cast is loaded and the story is good with several scenes that have Tarantino's fingerprints all over them. If you like Tarantino and you've not seen this one I highly recommend it.

Swingers (1996) 6/8 The first time I can remember seeing Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau on the big screen. The two play struggling actors coming up in Hollywood. Vaughn is the cool ladies man that everybody likes and Favreau plays the likable loser, hung up on an ex-girlfriend he can't seem to get over. The two had a lot of chemistry and Favreau wrote a good screenplay. I really liked this movie in college and it has held up well over the years.

Agreed. Have both. Great movies. (y)

True Romance is better than Swingers by far IMO.

Classic Tarantino and better actors. In fact, name a better cast, I dare you.

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Brad Pitt
Michael Rappaport
Val Kilmer
Tom Sizemore
James Gandolfini
Samuel L. Jackson
Gary Oldman
Chris Penn...and more.

The scene between Hopper and Walken is epic.

True Romance is better than Swingers by far IMO.

Classic Tarantino and better actors. In fact, name a better cast, I dare you.

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Brad Pitt
Michael Rappaport
Val Kilmer
Tom Sizemore
James Gandolfini
Samuel L. Jackson
Gary Oldman
Chris Penn...and more.

The scene between Hopper and Walken is epic.

I like Swingers, but I'm a big Vince Vaughn fan and enjoy almost everything he is in. Agreed on the Hopper and Walken scene. I also think the scene in the hotel room with Arquette and Gandolfini is classic.

Snowpiercer (2013) - Good film with an original story line, although it does share a class conflict narrative that is common in Sci-Fi films going all of the way back to Metropolis (1927).

6/8

AdmirableOrdinaryIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif