What Movies Did You Watch in June 2021?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4305 Caveat (UK-2020) ... 5.0/8

#4306 Skull: The Mask (Brazil-2020) ... 2.5/8

#4307 The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) ... 5.0/8

#4308 The Banishing (UK-2020) ... 4.0/8

#4309 Host (UK-2020) ... 6.5/8

#4310 Attack of the Demons (US-2019) ... 1.5/8

#4311 The Furies (Australia-2019) ... 5.5/8

#4312 Color Out of Space (US-2019) ... 6.0/8

#4313 The Amusement Park (US-2019 (1974)) ... 2.0/8

#4314 The Hole in the Ground (Ireland-2019) ... 5.5/8

#4315 Bliss (US-2019) ... 4.5/8

#4316 Wrong Turn (US-2021) ... 2.5/8

#4317 Pengabdi Setan (Indonesia-2017) ... 3.0/8

#4318 The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (Germany-1933) ... 3.0/8

#4319 Useless Humans (US-2020) ... 3.5/8

#4320 Relic (Australia-2020) ... 5.0/8

#4321 Repentance (US-2013) ... 5.0/8

#4322 Ghost Light (US-2018) ... 3.0/8

#4323 Within (US-2016) ... 2.0/8

Last edited:

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002) ... 6.0/8

This got a bit weird when Jena Malone's character starting talking about Donnie..... (Jana Malone was in Donnie Darko a year earlier!!!! )

The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)

Since this is all actual footage I believe it would be in bad taste to rate it. It is just remarkable the sacrifices these men made and the great courage it took knowing that chances are you would not be coming home....... When ever I am at the WPAFB Museum I always go see the Memphis Belle......

Joker (2019) - I had not watched it until just now. I work with a lot of people with mental disorders. Most of them are the underserved, poor and/or minorities. That being the case, I was somewhat reluctant to see it. It was chilling and rings so true to what a lot of the people I deal with are experiencing. The film is also chillingly prophetic. Aside from the masks and clown makeup, the pictures of lawless, anti-police, anarchist riots could have been shot over the last year in Seattle or Portland.

7/8

Caveat (UK-2020)

Horror: We are in Ireland where we have a man who has agreed to take the job of watching a psychologically troubled woman at an isolated house on an island. There are a few catches like he must remain chained to a harness at all times.... OK. Anyhow, this one was creepy and had that isolation atmosphere with a score that added to the tension.... 5.0/8

Skull: The Mask (Brazil-2020)

Horror: We are in Brazil where some mythological skull resurfaces and goes on a killing spree meanwhile some female detective with a past attempts to find the killer. This one had its moments as well as gore but mostly it was just not very good.... 2.5/8

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

Horror: The Warrens are back, well of course they are it is a Conjuring movie. I'm not going to get into the plot but this one is a bit different than what we are used to in this series plus a different director. Conjuring 3 is the weakest of the series but still good in its own ways .... 5.0/8

The Banishing (UK-2020)

Horror: 1930 England, a Reverend and his family move into a house that has a tormented history. It does not take long for the wife to see some strange stuff while the daughter has make believe friends that may be real..... this is a slow burn that really doesn't develop very well. Anyhow, I am in the minority by thinking it was OK.... 4.0/8

Host (UK-2020)

Horror: Five Friends during lock down decide to do a seance on zoom helped by a Medium. Well, we know how this is going to go. This was totally shot on Zoom in real time and played like a found footage type film. It is a rarity now a days but this one put a scare in me and actually made me scream. Turn out the lights and turn up the surround sound and watch alone to get the full effect...... 6.5/8

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (2001) ... 5.5/8

I guess it is that time .... I cannot sit through the whole movie so I am watching the 8 movies as if it is a series 30 to 40 minutes at a time...... working pretty good so far with #1 down.

Attack of the Demons (2019)

Horror: Cut paper animation. 1994 small Colorado town during a musical festival a zombie outbreak occurs and it is up to a group of three that barely knew each other in high school to stop it. Very low budget that I struggled to make it to the end mainly because of the very poor dialogue.... 1.5/8

The Furies (Australia-2019)

Horror: Ozploitation! ... Isolated woods we find some women who have been kidnapped who are hunted by men with different masks. Some sort of deadly game is going on but their is a twist that could turn the women against each other. It has that great 80's cheese gore which it the spot.... 5.5/8

Laugh Clown Laugh (1928) (silent) - Lon Chaney in one of his best roles. People who have not watch much in the way of silent film, would have a hard time understanding how good acting can be without speaking.

6/8

The Color Of Outer Space (2019)

Horror: Lovecraftian!!!!! Alrighty lets see what we have here. A farm with the over the top Nic Cage his wife and three kids one of them has been popping up in a bunch of horrors movies lately including the newest Conjuring movie and Haunting at Hill House.... as well as a caretaker of sorts played by the creepy Tommy Chong!!!!!!! Things start to spiral out of control when a meteorite crashes in the yard. This one was out there and Cage is able to go off in Cage style but luckily not enough to distract from this great adaptation of Lovecraft's story...... 6.0/8

The Amusement Park (2019 (1973) )

Horror: "An organization called the Lutheran Society hired George A. Romero to create a movie about elder abuse and the importance of showing respect to older people. When Romero presented the society with his surreal and frightening take on the subject, they were so shocked and horrified by what they saw that they hid the film and never showed it to anyone. It would be 45 years before the film would be seen again"

Well, OK.... that explains why this looked like something shot in the early 70's..... frankly, I just could not get into this one. I will have to re-watch the last 15 minutes again as I was nodding off and may have missed something....... 2.0/8

The Hole in the Ground (Ireland-2019)

Horror: Ireland folklore.... Following a move to the country and a discovery of a large crater like hole a woman suddenly believes her 6 year old son is an impostor. Not too shabby at all..... pretty good flick.... 5.5/8

City of Lies (2018) 4.5/8 Johnny Depp plays Russell Poole the lead detective on the murder of The Notorious BIG. A little slow, but a pretty could story similar to the one from the TV series on USA, but focused mostly on Biggie with the 2Pac case playing a minor role in the story. A little slow, not much action. Makes you wonder how a murder can go unsolved for 25 years that dozens of people witnessed including multiple off duty LAPD officers, several who served time in prison for other crimes.

The Devil Below (2021) 2/8 A group of scientist set out to find a mining town that disappeared in the 70's after a major explosion in the coal mine. They find the old town, but they also find something much worse than they hoped for. Pretty cheesy monster movie as a whole.

High School Confidential (1958) - Very entertaining high school anti-drug, propaganda film from the 50's. It includes a memorable cameo by "The Killer", Jerry Lee Lewis. Starring in this film is the ever hot Mamie Van Doren and an all-star cast, including Charlie Chaplin (wait no, it was Charlie Chaplin, Jr.), John Barrymore (wait no, it was John Drew Barrymore), and Michael Landon (yes, that was actually Michael Landon). Well, I guess it wasn't an all-star cast after all.

Fun to watch.

5/8

Bliss (2019)

Horror: A struggling artist that must meet a deadline turns to hallucinatory drugs which spirals out of control in this artsy film that gets better as it goes on..... 4.5/8

Wonderland (2003) 4/8 Val Kilmer plays Jonhny Holmes in the story surrounding the Wonderland murders in LA in the early 80's. Not bad, but not what I expected. That guy was a train wreck.

Wrong Turn (2021)

Horror: Re-boot..... A group of 6 friends which includes a biracial couple as well as a gay couple with the lone white guy being a total arse, you know ya got to have all the boxes checked, make a trip to Virginia to hike the Appalachian trail. They are warned to stay on the main path but they don't listen and soon get in to some real trouble. This flick had unbelievable stupid crap after another and was an insult to the original film. They actually filmed this in the Cincy area..... 2.5/8

Pengabdi Setan (Indonesia-2017)

Horror: aka Satan's Slaves ... Siblings are left alone to defend themselves against sinister forces. The biggest issue I had with this one was themusic score especially right before a scare tactic would occur..... The timing was just off and became annoying. This has always been an issue with me with most Indonesian horror films..... 3.0/8

Rookie of the Year (1993)

Movie night with the kids! You've probably seen this. Kid recovers from a broken arm and finds that he can now throw a baseball really, really hard, so he's signed to pitch for the Chicago Cubs.

Pure early 90s cheese. John Candy does well as half of the comic relief, but Daniel Stern for the most part spoils the other half. He at least has a few good gags. The kid characters are alright, but Gary Busey as the over the hill veteran, the Cubs manager and the mom carry the film. There's a hilarious running joke involving the manager and the kid's last name.

There are a couple great editing/music sequences in the third act (the big game) but it's really distracting all the baseball stuff they get wrong. Like, the final game is to win the division, but it's Cubs/Mets? And they actually say that the winner of this regular season game goes on to the World Series? They actually say that.

Some funny moments, but you can see every beat coming from 100 miles away.

4/8