What Movies Did You Watch in January 2022?

Interested to hear your likes and dislikes on this one.

Likes... it felt real, not over the top "Hollywood". Acting was great. Scenery was daunting.....

Dislikes.... became stagnant at times and got bored with it. It was basically the same things happening over and over again..... but I guess that is reality.

School's Out Forever (UK-2021)

Horror: Following an apocalyptic event survivors of a prestige private school are forced to protect the grounds from a neighboring town posse. I thought this was going to be one of those silly horror comedies but it became something else that ended up a bit dark... 4.5/8

The Expendables (2010) 4.5/8 A good action flick, certainly entertaining, but with that cast it should have been a classic. Almost everyone in the movie who's not an extra or a one-liner is at least a well-known B-list actor. It did spawn several sequels so it did the job, I just thought it could have been better.

The King of Comedy (1982) 7/8 One of the only Scorsese films I had never seen and I thought it was excellent. Deniro is at his best. Jerry Lewis is awesome and even Sandra Bernhard who I've always found annoying was really good. It also really made me like The Joker even more. I didn't love the "happy" ending, which probably kept it from being an 8/8 for me.

All The Right Moves (1983) 3.5/8 Nothing special. A young Tom Cruise trying to make it out of his steel town on a high school football scholarship. I like Craig T. Nelson as the coach, but the football action wasn't great and Cruise over-acted the part like he always does. Never been a big fan of his.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) 2/8 and G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) 5/8 Wanted to watch these again after only seeing them when they first came out. The first one is a dud IMO. Really corny and tried to play too much towards the cartoon from my childhood. The second one, despite the bad reviews, I thought was much better with a better story and more adult type action. Both are completely outlandish, but the second is more entertaining.

Pain and Gain (2013) 5/8 I know this got bad reviews but I have always liked it. It's got a good cast and despite how crazy it seems a lot of it was true. I like how they kind of made you feel sympathetic to the characters despite the really terrible and stupid things they were doing. At some points, you are kind of rooting for them to get away with it because the main victim is such an a-hole.

The Vice Guide to Bigfoot (2019)

Comedy/Horror: Not much horror at all, anyhow a reporter who got snubbed out of a promotion gets stuck covering a Bigfoot Convention in the Appalachians of Georgia. Found footage style shooting as we see things through the lens of the camera but not a found footage film..... 3.0/8

Scream (2022): 5/8

Good story and they do a great job of making you think that any of the new cast could be the killer.

The killer’s motive doesn’t quite land but otherwise a worthy installment to the franchise.

Scream (2022): 5/8

Good story and they do a great job of making you think that any of the new cast could be the killer.

The killer’s motive doesn’t quite land but otherwise a worthy installment to the franchise.

Just realized one of the new cast members is Cuba Gooding Jr’s son. He was very good. Has his dad's charisma. Hopefully this leads to more opportunities.

Last edited:
The Mob (1951) Film noir. The ending was a bit weak, but despite that and casting an older actor (Broderick Crawford) in a younger person;s role - not unusual for that period - this was pretty good. Surprised to see Ernest Borgnine as a gangster. 5/8

The Unholy (2021)

Horror: Stars Jeffery Dean Morgan (TWD) who plays a journalist who is starved for a story and ends up in a small town where a young women appears to be able to perform miracles but could this be the work of the Devil..... I liked the story but did not care for the "jump scare" tactics or the appearance of the "Mary" entity. This movie reminded me of the older Hammer Films especially the opening scene..... 4.0/8

American Hustle (2013) 5.5/8 Christian Bale plays a con-man offering loans to at risk borrowers in the 70's when interest rates were at all time highs, that he can't really deliver on. He also deals in bogus art and runs a dry cleaning business. Star studded cast including Jeremy Reiner, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jenifer Lawrence and a bit part by DeNiro. A little slow in parts but has several really good scenes. Bale is excellent and I thought Adams was a smoke show in this one. Also really like Lawrence's character.

Tombstone (1993) 7/8 One of my favorite westerns. Kilmer as Doc Holiday is awesome. The last hour or so of this movie is as good as any movie I've ever seen.

Encanto - A new film from Disney and an incredibly fresh and surprisingly different "Disney" film. No princesses anywhere to be seen. The closest girl to a "princess" was the "perfect" sister of the main character, who is in the shadow of the main character, a cute, but bespectacled and somewhat bookish "tween". The biggest surprise was how much this is a dance film with all of the characters involved in wonderful choreography. It is the dancingist film since La La Land (2016), and much better than that film in that regard. Also, the music is outstanding. I had commented to my wife that some of the songs reminded me of the songs in Hamilton, only to find out that Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote the songs for both.

This dynamic and energetic film with a strong South American (Columbian) flavor is fun to watch and its focus on family, community and unexpected blessings is refreshing and fun to watch.

6/8

Unearth (2020)

Horror: Struggling farmer decides to lease his land for fracking upsetting his neighbors. What evils will this fracking unleash and why do we have lesbians in this movie..... I guess they needed to check of the boxes. Lot of wasted moments with a confusing ending..... 3.5/8

Den of Thieves (2018) 5/8 Second time seeing this and it still holds up. Good action film, full of bad guys. Even the good guys really aren't that good. Nice plot twist at the end. Gerard Butler and Oshea Jackson, Jr. both play really good roles in the film.

Den of Thieves (2018) 5/8 Second time seeing this and it still holds up. Good action film, full of bad guys. Even the good guys really aren't that good. Nice plot twist at the end. Gerard Butler and Oshea Jackson, Jr. both play really good roles in the film.
Easy to root for the bad guys. The L.A. Sheriff's office has had as many as 18 different gangs within their ranks. In the movie, Butler is a "Regulator" which is a real life bona fide cop gang.

This is from 1999. Interesting stuff.

A League of Their Own (1992) Funny and touching. Always worth another watch. 7/8

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Funny and has held up well. 6.5/8

Tuesday night decision: Braveheart on Paramount (four hours with 'mercials) vs. Duke vs. Florida State (two and a half hours in OT). Correctly chose bball. ?

The Happening: 3/8

I mean I knew it was bad, but I don't think I had ever seen it all the way through so I decided to watch. Mark Wahlberg is bad on an epic level. M. Night didn't do him any favors with the dialogue, but some of that may have been Wahlberg improvising.

The concept isn't bad, it just was horribly executed.

The Last Duel, a medieval tale between two minor knights over a woman, of course. The knights were played by Matt Damon and Adam Driver, with the woman played by my latest crush Jodie Comer. 6/8

Django Unchained (2012) ... 5.5/8

Love spaghetti westerns, did not care for Leonardo in this one.....

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) ... 2.5/8

Did not like much with this one..... Jack Black was awful and the whole plot was very weak and just plain silly.......

Django Unchained (2012) ... 5.5/8

Love spaghetti westerns, did not care for Leonardo in this one.....

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) ... 2.5/8

Did not like much with this one..... Jack Black was awful and the whole plot was very weak and just plain silly.......
I thought Leo was awesome in Django. Christoph Waltz never disappoints. I'd like to see him in more films TBH.

Rose (UK-2020)

Drama/Horror: A couple lives on the grid but you get the sense that something is very wrong with one of them. The problem with this one was that it was all build up to me and then once something was about to happen it just abruptly ends...... 4.0/8

The Retreat (2020)

Horror: Different movie same title as one I watched a few weeks ago. Two friends decide to go hiking in Winter in the mountains where they learn a legend of a Wendigo. First off, this movie was not targeting teen girls so why the heck the stupid sound jump scares that ended up just being annoying and destroyed any atmosphere. The creature itself was all that was needed but omg, every time it would appear there it goes... the annoying sound jump scare.... Come on guys, this is a newer film be smart enough to know how to complement visual with sound and the end scare tactic is unforgivable. So, I did not like the score for this one nor did I like the script. Way too confusing when it did not need to be. I did though like the creature design and location..... but that was about it..... 2.5/8