What Movies Did You Watch in April 2024?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4697 The Night Before Easter (2014) ... 1.0/8

#4698 Killer Party (Canada-1986) ... 5.0/8

#4699 La Casa 5 (Italy-1990) ... aka "Beyond Darkness" ... 3.5/8

#4700 A Day of Judgement (1981) ... 2.0/8

#4701 Neugdaesyang (South Korea-2022) ... aka "Project Wolf Hunting" ... 5.5/8

#4702 Descanse en piezas (Spain-1987) ... aka "Rest in Pieces" ... 3.0/8

#4703 Aru yasashiki satsujinsha no kiroku (Japan-2014) ... aka "A Record of Sweet Murder" ... 5.0/8

#4704 Alien degli abissi (Italy-1989) ... aka "Alien From the Deep" ... 3.0/8

#4705 Door (Japan-1988) ... 2.5/8

#4706 La Casa 4: Witchcraft (Italy-1989) ... 4.0/8

#4707 Crabs! (2021) ... 2.0/8

#4708 Night Swim (2024) ... 5.0/8

#4709 Capsized: Blood in the Water (2019) ... 4.0/8

#4710 La Casa 3: Ghosthouse (Italy-1988) ... 4.5/8

#4711 Shut In (2016) ... 4.5/8

#4712 Luther The Geek (1989) ... 4.0/8

#4713 A Haunting in Venice (2023) ... 5.0/8

#4714 Dream Scenario (Canada-2023) ... 5.5/8

#4715 Dracula (Dan Curtis' UK-1974) ... 4.5/8

#4716 Fresh (2022) ... 3.0/8

#4717 Dos Monjes (Mexico-1934) ... 3.0/8

#4718 Curse of Crom: The Legend of Halloween (2022) ... 6.0/8

#4719 Milmaids (2022) ... 4.0/8

Last edited:

Godzilla vs Kong (2021) - 7/10

Story and human characters were weak but the fights were absolutely epic especially the last fight with the MechaGodzilla.

Well, it is Easter and unfortunately in the Horror world there are no good Easter Horror Movies. Last year I got lucky finding a good "really bad" movie but this year not so much. I wanted to watch "Serial Rabbit" but could not find it and had to settle for something else. Tomorrow will be one for April 1st and the rest of the month will mostly be Horror as I start to crank up my horror watching......

The Night Before Easter (2014)

Horror: A group of high school friends gather in an indoor storage facility for a going away party while a serial killer dressed in a bunny suit is on the loose. There was really nothing that this one offers. Of course it is low budget, very low budget at a whopping 4 grand but I have seen several very low budget films that are decent. This one is too much meaningless dialogue and a really that is all you could come up with ending..... I watched it so no one else had to. Took one for the team...... 1.0/8

April Fools Day..... not much in horror for this date either though oddly there were 3 that came out in 1986. "April Fools Day", "Slaughter High", and "Killer Party". I have not seen Killer Party and the search was on to find it. This one has ended up on some's top horror movies that nobody has seen lists..... Well, I found it on Screambox so I started my free trial with this one......

Killer Party (Canada-1986)

Horror: Some interesting opening scenes with this one kind of throws us off but then we get into what this one is about. We find ourselves on a College Campus where 3 hot chicks are pledging for a Sorority. We get some pranks which sets us up for the April Fools Night party that is being held in an abandoned dorm where 20 years prior a pledge lost his life. Not sure why this one did not get the release of others like it. It was good but too bad MGM felt the need to cut the gore out prior to it's release. Is there a fully intact version of this film out there? This was well worth the watch .... 5.0/8

The La Casa film series. What is La Casa well you may be surprised but you have likely seen La Casa as well as La Casa 2. La Casa is Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead and La Casa 2 is Evil Dead 2. Pretty simple right.... well, it gets confusing from here.... La Casa 3 is part of the House series and La Casa 3 is Ghosthouse or House, La Casa 4 is Witchcraft or Witchery depending on the title one gets. La Casa 5 is Beyond Darkness. La Casa 6 is back to the House series and is known as House 2, La Casa 7 is also part of the House series and is called House 3. Now, even more confusing is that La Casa 6 does not exist while others state is the American "House 2" film and La Casa 7 is the American "House 3". I just don't know...... anyhow

La Casa 5 (Italy-1990)

Horror: "Beyond Darkness" ..... Set in Louisiana in a spooky house a priest and his family move in soon to learn there is an evil there that preys on the souls of children. This definitely has the 80's European feel to it with the score and the way it is shot. It is not a very good movie and is likely only for people like me who like this style....... 3.5/8

A Day of Judgement (1981)

Drama Horror: 1920's town folk lose the faith and do each other wrong when a sinister man in black shows up. Extremely boring film.... almost liked they made a drama and couldn't sell it so they spliced in horror elements with the man in black..... 2.0/8

Neugdaesanyang (South Korea-2022)

Horror Action: aka Project Wolf Hunting..... Here we are in the Philippines where dangerous criminals are being loaded onto a cargo ship to be transported to South Korea. While aboard it does not take long for something to happen. Project Wolf Hunting is EXTREMELY VIOLENT and GOREY!!!! When I mean gory the movie used over 2.5 tons of blood. The action is almost constant and while I am not a fan of action this was a bit different as we do not have those stupid slow mo shots or over the top crap. This was just pure brutality..... 5.5/8

Descanse en piezas (Spain-1987)

Horror: "Rest in Pieces" ... A woman who has not seen her Aunt in over 20 years now inherits her estate. On visiting she meets the staff and soon strange things occur. She also believes the staff is trying to kill her but her hubby not believing. This was kind of a dole watch.... 3.0/8

Aru yasashiki satsujinsha no kiroku (Japan-2014)

Horror: aka "A Record of Sweet Murder" ... A serial killer contacts a childhood friend who is a journalist and wants to meet up with her for an interview. OK, this one is Found Footage and the first 84 minutes is shot in real time with just one take. I guess just go with the flow if something happens.... well, the first 30 minutes was not very good but it was obviously setting up for what is to come. Once it got started it got very bizarre as well as disturbing at times. I really did not know how to react.... OK, now the subtitles did not always match up with video and plus we had a translator who was translating form Japanese to Korean and back and forth which also congested the screen a bit. Despite the distractions this was a solid found footage film.... 5.0/8

Alien degli abissi (Italy-1989)

Sci-Fi Horror: aka Alien From the Deep ... Green Peace activist tries to get proof of wrong doing by a chemical company on this island with an active volcano when something out of this world appears. It is almost an hour into this one before we get any alien creature stuff as most of the movie is the chemical company trying to track down the activist around the plant and island. We get a cheesy one here that is really bad that in some ways it becomes good...... 3.0/8

Door (Japan-1988)

Horror: House invasion ... We are in Japan where a mom pisses off a door to door salesman. She soon gets threatening phone calls and suspects he is stalking her. This one was pretty stupid but it is scary how strangers can quickly learn much about you and this was back in the 80's..... anyhow, the best part of the movie was when he was coming at her with a chainsaw when she slaps her 6 year old son... I mean she really smacks this kid across the face (Only in Japan I guess) and tells him to be a man and fight. This one did get a little gory towards the end.... 2.5/8

The Wraith (1986)

Picture "Fast & Furious" as an 80's supernatural teen lust story, but with less intelligent dialog.

Charlie Sheen in the title role. Arrogantly handsome Nick Cassavetes as the villain. Clint Howard is Rughead, a genius henchman with bad eyesight and a unique afro. Sherilyn Fenn as the love interest with the requisite topless scene, and Randy Quaid as a sheriff who displays impressive paper doll chain skills.

Caught this the other night, hadn't seen it in many, many years. Great 80's soundtrack, captured that era perfectly. For a minute I thought I was still a bachelor in the first house I bought, watching this on Cinemax on my new cable TV setup with the audio piped into my stereo.

Fast cars. Faster women. Cool explosions. Cheesy fun. 4.0/8

Last edited:
Witchcraft (Italy-1989)

Horror: La Casa 4, Witchery, Ghosthouse 2, or what ever other title this one falls under I watched it with the title card "Witchcraft". Here we find David Hasselhoff teamed up with Linda Blair at an isolated island hotel haunted by a witch. What could go wrong? ... 4.0/8

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024) - 6/10

I liked it but probably the weakest of the Monsterverse movies. The humans sucked like always and the monster fignts weren’t as good as previous movies.

Crabs! (2021)

Horror Comedy: Small poor seaside town is attacked by aggressive Horseshoe Crabs. Wasn't that bad until the Radu character came into play and then it went down hill very quickly. This one did not know if it wanted to be like "Gremlins" or a movie like "Sharknado". Either way it became incredibly stupid and I could not wait for it to end.... 2.0/8

Night Swim (2024)

Horror: Came into this one with low expectations. The title is just a stupid one for a horror movie and it is a Blumhouse film which typically I have not liked but it was on so why not. Family moves into a new house with a pool and there is something definitely funky going on with that pool. This one pretty much has the same recipe as other movies like this but it actually wasn't that bad. The movie is based off of a 4 minute short and it is paced pretty good. The one puzzling thing about this movie was the girls boyfriend. What happened to him? He was there and then never heard from again. Was he just the "token" black character to check a box or was there other scenes with him that were edited out??? ... 5.0/8

Roadhouse (2024) 4/8 Not great, not terrible. Liked Gyllenhaal's adaption of Dalton. Thought the Connor McGregor's character was goofy. Almost cartoonish and it took a lot away from the movie. It had potential and I liked that they didn't just remake the original, they just missed the mark a little.

Roadhouse (2024) 4/8 Not great, not terrible. Liked Gyllenhaal's adaption of Dalton. Thought the Connor McGregor's character was goofy. Almost cartoonish and it took a lot away from the movie. It had potential and I liked that they didn't just remake the original, they just missed the mark a little.

McGregor felt miscast.

Capsized: Blood in the Water (2019)

Drama/Horror: Based on true events a group of people try and survive following a capsize in shark infested waters. I wasn't expecting much with this one but it ended up being better than I thought.... 4.0/8

26.2 to Life (2022) 7/8

Aired on PBS late last year, but now on ESPN.
Documentary that follows men and their stories from San Quentin Prison who are members of the 1000 Mile Club.

Ghosthouse (Italy-1988)

Horror: This is La Casa 3 and with watching this I have now seen them all. This one we have a mystery radio signal of a man and woman screaming traced to an abandoned house with a horrific past. I actually got into this one and of course it had the stupid decision making of some characters...... 4.5/8

Day 3 and still trying to get through Poor Things..... struggling.... why does it have to be so looooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg.

The Big Parade (1925) (silent) - I've been away from this board for a while and had seen a number of films I have not posted about, however, I just need to post on this film. This was one of the best films I have ever seen. It won the equivalent of a Best Picture Oscar (before the Academy Awards were established). The acting was incredibly realistic for a silent film. No silly pantomime here. The WWI battle scenes were very well done. 100% Fresh on RT.

8/8

Last edited:
College football and basketball seasons over opened up time for some good movie watching. Second time seeing Unforgiven and Gone with the Wind.

Unforgiven (1992), The Godfather (1972), Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018), Gone with the Wind {1939)

Unforgiven - Gene Hackman as a harsh lawman. Hmmm...
The Godfather - Mob wives - 'Violence, what violence? Meh.'
MI: Fallout - Ridiculous number of twists. Comical.
GWTW - Why did I sense bits of humor this time? Uh-oh...

Cumulative score 24/32.

Last edited:
The Big Parade (1925) (silent) - I've been away from this board for a while and had seen a number of films I have not posted about, however, I just need to post on this film. This was one of the best films I have ever seen. It won the equivalent of a Best Picture Oscar (before the Academy Awards were established). The acting was incredibly realistic for a silent film. No silly pantomime here. The WWI battle scenes were very well done. 100% Fresh on RT.

8/8

Where can I find this? Thanks.

Long Shot (2017Netflix Documentary)

An accused murderer tries to prove that he was at a LA Dodgers game when the crime occurred.

This is a good one, and it's only 40 minutes.

Shut In (2016)

Horror/Thriller: Naomi Watts finds herself caring for her stepson who is immobile in an isolated home in Maine during the dead of winter but she believes that a missing boys ghost is haunting her...... 4.5/8