What Movies Did You Watch in April 2021?

5/8 Stowaway: reviews are all over the map on this. Mostly praise for the acting and pans for the conclusion not living up to the rest of the plot. IMO the problems were the silly premise, which with a purpose to the end-plot might have been useful and a few of the characterizations but after that, I think it all went well. Watching space movies like this as an Engineer, there are always going to be quibbles taking a few points but a 4/8 would be a "don't bother watching." I think it's a good watch.
5.5/8 Stowaway: I'm not an Engineer. Lol.

They could have used an Iron Worker. The engineer they wanted to kill.
Like you said, I thought it was a good watch. I've mentioned this before but I cannot tell if things are that good or bad anymore because I'm so thirsty for anything worth watching. Movies are now dictated by the Chinese and the woke so comedies and solid dramas are out the window. Streaming services are simply mass production value and have thousands of shows/movies that are mediocre at best.

None But the Lonely Heart (1944) - A Cary Grant film that plays against type. I had to use closed caption in order to understand Grant's heavy cockney accent. Here he plays a poor hustler son of poor shop owning parents. There are a lot of references to Britain's pre WWII rigid class structure. So much so, that the film was accused of being communist propaganda. There is certainly some of Tom Joad of Grapes of Wrath in Grant's Ernie Mott. Decent film.

5/8

Murderlust (1985)

Horror: A church going man serial kills naughty girls..... This was a dull film that did not live up to its name.... 2.5/8

Saw "Courier" yesterday, a film set in the early 1960's where Britain's MI-6 and the CIA join forces to convince an ordinary British salesman to act as a courier for information he received from a Russian mole in his travels to Moscow. Started out OK, but faded badly toward the end. 4/8.

The Search (1948) - A powerful and unusual film. Filmed in Germany a year after the war ended. The devastation is still very evident. Within the rubble children roam aimlessly, with empty eyes and empty stomachs, trying to find what, if anything, is left of their families. Through this lens an American GI in the army of occupation befriends a near catatonic boy without any memory of his name, his hometown or his family,

7/8

Last edited:
The Search (1948) - A powerful and unusual film. Filmed in Germany a year after the war ended. The devastation is still very evident. Within the rubble children roam aimlessly, with empty eyes and empty stomachs, trying to find what, if anything, is left of their families. Through this lens an American GI in the army of occupation befriends a near catatonic without any memory of his name, his hometown or his family,

7/8

I reviewed this in my post WWII Germany/England movie spree last Summer. I'd generally recommend anything with Montgomery Clift. This one good also. I like finding old movies in foreign settings, see what places were like before modern world hit them.

The Zookeeper's Wife (2017) - Better than expected. My wife wanted to watch it, having read the book, so I had low expectations of a Hallmark type movie. It helped that the film is based on a true story of heroic efforts to save Polish Jews during the Holocaust.

5/8

Justice League, Zac Snyder Cut: 4.75/8

Not quite lipstick on a pig? Adding 2 hours of footage certainly helped flesh out the plot, but if you have to add that much footage, are you really making it that much better? There's still plenty wrong, starting before this movie was ever made. They rushed the entire franchise from the get go. I had a lot more to say when I finished watching it last week, but the movie isn't good enough for me to even remember what all of it was.