What if the customer is 76 cents short?

Zunardo

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/dominos-76-cents-short/

Customer orders a pizza to be delivered for $20.76. But she only has a $20 bill, so the driver refuses the transaction. Customer feels slighted, and posts a viral to the TikTok world decrying the company's "lack of humanity".

In the Yappi court of the assizes, how do you rule? Does she have a case, or do you dismiss?

(I know what Crusaders will say - "if you don't tip, don't order!" ? )

Does the customer absolutely have to pay with cash?
I'm assuming you and Indiandad are staying out of the gutter, lol. You mean with a credit card? Not sure I've ever seen an in-store driver have the ability to handle that.

For the sake of clarity, let's say yes - she absolutely does have to use cash. She doesn't have a credit or debit card, and the driver isn't equipped for CC transactions.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you and Indiandad are staying out of the gutter, lol. You mean with a credit card? Not sure I've ever seen an in-store driver have the ability to handle that.

For the sake of clarity, let's say she absolutely does have to use cash - she doesn't have a credit or debit card, and the driver isn't equipped for CC transactions.
Venmo... I was referring to Venmo!

Driver should have taken the $20, opened the box and taken out a piece. Then hand the box to the lady and walked off eating his slice.
Crude but equitable. A decision worthy of Solomon.

Provided, of course, the driver ensured that piece was only 3.7% of the total area of the pizza, AND that he reimburses the company for the 76 cents worth of food he ate.

Probably wouldn't fly with the company, though.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/dominos-76-cents-short/

Customer orders a pizza to be delivered for $20.76. But she only has a $20 bill, so the driver refuses the transaction. Customer feels slighted, and posts a viral to the TikTok world decrying the company's "lack of humanity".

In the Yappi court of the assizes, how do you rule? Does she have a case, or do you dismiss?

(I know what Crusaders will say - "if you don't tip, don't order!" ? )
She sounds like a complete twunt.

Ive worked retail before and if someone was a little short like that...I would make it work.

for her to do a tikkytok about it just, well, the M.O. for the entitled Americans anymore.

Whew! Had me worried for a minute.

Yes, I see where you going with it now. But we'll assume she doesn't have access to pay apps. Cash only.
This happened to me many years ago. I only had like $7 on me in cash and was planning on using the credit card. I stopped at a Chinese restaurant that was very slow and when I ordered I asked if they take VISA. The Chinese woman said "No, cash only". I explained to her that I needed to cancel my order that was like $10 or something because I only had $7 in cash. She said she needed the money and told me $7 was better than nothing.

I came back the next day and paid her the balance and gave her a tip.

Anyway.... the girl should have only bought what she could afford.

1659444523414.png

This happened to me many years ago. I only had like $7 on me in cash and was planning on using the credit card. I stopped at a Chinese restaurant that was very slow and when I ordered I asked if they take VISA. The Chinese woman said "No, cash only". I explained to her that I needed to cancel my order that was like $10 or something because I only had $7 in cash. She said she needed the money and told me $7 was better than nothing.

I came back the next day and paid her the balance and gave her a tip.

Anyway.... the girl should have only bought what she could afford.
The Chinese woman knew catching the cat you ate cost her nothing. ?‍

Were I the delivery driver, I wouldn’t have given it to her on the basis of “I’m responsible for getting the cash back to the store and I’m held to account for the discrepancy in what was proffered versus what the customer was charged.” I’m not leaving my job up to the chance the manager thinks I possibly peeled off the 76-cent difference for myself.

Now, were I a cashier at the pizza place and the customer came in only with $20 and nothing else… I’d be more inclined to make it work. My personal lee-way range of cashiering was 1-99 cents on all things that weren’t alcohol or tobacco. $1 or more? Nope.

Were I the delivery driver, I wouldn’t have given it to her on the basis of “I’m responsible for getting the cash back to the store and I’m held to account for the discrepancy in what was proffered versus what the customer was charged.” I’m not leaving my job up to the chance the manager thinks I possibly peeled off the 76-cent difference for myself.

Now, were I a cashier at the pizza place and the customer came in only with $20 and nothing else… I’d be more inclined to make it work. My personal lee-way range of cashiering was 1-99 cents on all things that weren’t alcohol or tobacco. $1 or more? Nope.
Sorry, but lol @ Nathan For You. Nicely done. I would prefer to know how he would handle this situation. :unsure:

It would generally be good business practice to let her have the pie if she's under a dollar short. But it should be the manager's call, not the delivery driver. Build reasonable goodwill with your customers. However, it is wrong for a customer to expect or feel entitled to that kind of goodwill.

Speaking of being a little short (no, not an Omar joke).
As kids my friends and I paid a pizza delivery by all pennies. Left it on the porch with a note to leave pizza.

We called back later as a joke asking if we had enough, and they said we were like a dollar or less short. They left the pizza.
So we put an additional 100 pennies on the porch.

Come to think of it..ive always been a jerk

Speaking of being a little short (no, not an Omar joke).
As kids my friends and I paid a pizza delivery by all pennies. Left it on the porch with a note to leave pizza.

We called back later as a joke asking if we had enough, and they said we were like a dollar or less short. They left the pizza.
So we put an additional 100 pennies on the porch.

Come to think of it..ive always been a jerk
Who delivered pizza in CW?

I am in similar business and years ago decided to view it this way:

1- for products with extreme short shelf life such as hot food or icecream, once the order is placed and filled , getting 66% or more of the price is my cutoff, one time. If it happens again, we give the product to some other well deserving person such as charity (soup kitchen or nursing home) or perhaps an employee.

If the person really just is in a bind due to ordering before checking their money, they will likely make good on it later and they are back in the circle of trust again.

To me nobody wins when the food is thrown out, but nobody is eating my food for free either. I will forgo the profit but not the cost.

I have been on the other side of this at least once. In 1997 we landed in Indianapolis after a long expensive vacation and started to drive home. Kids were hungry so we stopped just East of Indianapolis and ordered food from the value menue at Wendy's. The bill was $6.93 and I pulled around to pay. As I opened my wallet I realized I had no money and they did not take credit back then,

I apologized and began to pull away when the lady said, "here, take it, we cant sell it now anyway ". I thanked her and felt like a heel.

Products that last more than a few days, they will not get without full payment, unless old, cute or I'm in a good mood.