What girls qualified for Districts this season?

Are girls allowed to forgo the girls tournament to compete with the boys?

Was that the question? Did any Girl choose to wrestle the boys and qualify for Districts?

I would hope not. A lot of people have put in work to give them their own sport that is now sanctioned by the OHSAA.
well i could see if a school only had a single girl and struggled with resources for coaching, travel etc, under OHSAA bylaws one wrestler is not considered a team so that school could have her wrestle with the boys team if they had enough to be considered a team.. correct ?

Girls had a choice for tourneys to do either or. The girls tourney will be so mismatched due to the newness of the sport .

Female wrestlers could participate in either gender's season, but for the post-season have to pick one or the other. As female wrestling evolves, that will probably change to where it's like all the other multi-gender sports, where it's one or the other all season.

I would hope not. A lot of people have put in work to give them their own sport that is now sanctioned by the OHSAA.
Wow! So, since people have worked so hard to establish a girl's only State Tournament ALL girls should be satisfied with what they've been given. If that's OHSAA policy, that they now only compete in the tournament of their gender, then so be it. But if not, and a girl or girls come along that legitimately feel they aren't going to be challenged at the Girls State Tournament who are you or anyone else to say that "because people have put in work to give them their own sport" they should just stay in their place. Just my opinion but I find your statement a little arrogant/pious.

Girls had a choice for tourneys to do either or. The girls tourney will be so mismatched due to the newness of the sport .
I think you will be surprosed on the talent once they get to the schott. Quality of wrestling has improved immensely and lets not kid ourselves the top boys dominate through their rounds just as the top girls will. There will be barn burners in the ladies side too

Wow! So, since people have worked so hard to establish a girl's only State Tournament ALL girls should be satisfied with what they've been given. If that's OHSAA policy, that they now only compete in the tournament of their gender, then so be it. But if not, and a girl or girls come along that legitimately feel they aren't going to be challenged at the Girls State Tournament who are you or anyone else to say that "because people have put in work to give them their own sport" they should just stay in their place. Just my opinion but I find your statement a little arrogant/pious.
I agree. Should be the same for boys. If the boys don't feel they are challenged in the boys tournament they should 100 percent be allowed to compete in the girls division....just my sarcastic opinion but I find your statement a little entitled. #equality

I can't speak for Jason, but I think the point he was trying to make is the following: given the work that went into creating the opportunity for the female wrestlers, he is thinking the female wrestlers should capitalize on/seize that opportunity as opposed to "competing 'up'" in the male event

I think you will be surprosed on the talent once they get to the schott. Quality of wrestling has improved immensely and lets not kid ourselves the top boys dominate through their rounds just as the top girls will. There will be barn burners in the ladies side too
You’re giving them too much credit. Girls wrestling is improved but it’s still a bad product. Even if I wasn’t a first hand witness to tons of girls wrestling 90% of matches end in first period pins which isn’t an indicator of a good product.

I agree. Should be the same for boys. If the boys don't feel they are challenged in the boys tournament they should 100 percent be allowed to compete in the girls division....just my sarcastic opinion but I find your statement a little entitled. #equality
In that case you probably think that transgender males should be able to wrestle in female events. It's a proven fact males are genetically more physical and athletic as a gender (for the most part). I've coached against and officiated girls who relish the thought of competing against males. These may be a rare breed but don't minimize the competitive spirit of females. If that's what they want, they shouldn't be discouraged.

You’re giving them too much credit. Girls wrestling is improved but it’s still a bad product. Even if I wasn’t a first hand witness to tons of girls wrestling 90% of matches end in first period pins which isn’t an indicator of a good product.
Two thoughts:
Isn't the object of the sport to pin the opponent? Where is the problem?
Two (and I dislike the use of the word "product"), is it better or more entertaining to watch two marginal big guys dance around and do nothing except lean and push on each other for 6 minutes?

Two thoughts:
Isn't the object of the sport to pin the opponent? Where is the problem?
Two (and I dislike the use of the word "product"), is it better or more entertaining to watch two marginal big guys dance around and do nothing except lean and push on each other for 6 minutes?
Don’t act dumb. You know where the problem is.

I don’t care if you dislike me saying product. Go boohoo about it. People have long complained about the PRODUCT of heavyweight wrestling just without all the bleeding hearts coming to defend them like you are with the girls.

Don’t act dumb. You know where the problem is.

I don’t care if you dislike me saying product. Go boohoo about it. People have long complained about the PRODUCT of heavyweight wrestling just without all the bleeding hearts coming to defend them like you are with the girls.
Wow, that really hurt! LOL
Is this Old142 with a new name?
Kind of sensitive for (what I assume is) a big guy, aren't you?
I notice that you did not address either point I made.
BTW, did I mention "heavyweight" at all? You are making an assumption.

1677853196945.png

Going for state title #4:
Josie Davis, Sidney
Alaina Jackson, Minerva
Hayley Snider, Vincent Warren
Josie will have to defeat another defending State Champ - Reagan Briggs from Harrison, and Hayley Snider will have to avenge some L's this year to get her 4th title.

I've greatly enjoyed coaching my MS and HS girls teams and look forward to a return trip to Tulsa / Fargo with Team Ohio.

at least one girl in PA. qualified for state
I'll do you one better: two weeks ago Reanah Utterback of Sigourney-Keota (Eddyville) placed eighth at 106 in Class 1A at the Iowa state championships.
Last season the answer to the question posed by this thread would have been, "At least one: Chloe Dearwester." She won the Lebanon sectional at 106; really, you can look it up on baumspage. I saw her wrestle last year when Elder traveled to Harrison for a dual; Lambers beat her 5-0. A skeptic might say, "Oh, well, he put it on cruise control from the get-go and really wasn't trying, he could have pinned her anytime he wanted to but he went easy on her out of some misguided chivalry." Such a comment would be insulting to both wrestlers, and besides, what wrestler doesn't want to win by pin? The fact remains that last year Lambers beat a lot of guys worse than 5-0.
I presume Dearwester is the prohibitive favorite to take the 105 title.
By the way, at the Brian Keck Memorial Preseason Nationals this past October in Des Moines, Utterback pinned Dearwester to take the girls 106 title. They were ranked 7-8 nationally at 106 in the USA Wrestling girls February rankings.