what determines what divisons are play on friday and saturday

It used to be odd number divisions on one night and even number divisions on the other. Every other year they would flip-flop.

Then about 7-8 years ago they put D1, D2 and D3 strictly on Friday nights and then flip-flop D4-7 based on even and odd numbers every other year.

The reason for this is the larger schools tend to be in the larger metro areas where there is a larger amount of entertainment events to pull people away from high school football on Saturday nights. In most of the rural areas where the small schools reside, high school football is the only show in town. Therefore, they play on Saturday.

The format for a few years was D I on Saturday, D II and D III on Friday, then IV, V , VI, VII alternated two on Friday two on Saturday. That format was the best, I think (though I would have just rotated all seven.)

I know many schools just want Friday, and that is why we are where we are. If they would just rotate one or two divisions to Saturday it would be great for the fans. But the OHSAA belongs to the member schools, not the fans...

The smaller divisions are the ones who get the raw end of basically playing Saturdays outside of getting a friday playoff year once every 3 or 4 I believe. Honestly, I think they would make more sense if they looked at which divisions had the regions with most travel times and played those divisions on Saturday. Just my 2 cents.

I also think more OSU night games and the Big Ten Title game played a small factor too

"How does the OHSAA decide which division plays when?"

The OHSAA:

Spongebob Squarepants Money GIF

As a D7 fan, we've gotten the shaft and have played Saturday every year since 2018. I can't stand playoff games on Saturday's as I thoroughly enjoy a good college football day but it is what it is I suppose. It would be nice to get Friday games once in a while. I'd be heavily in favor of all Friday games.....not like anyone in Ohio likes college football or anything....

Apparently I’m in the minority, but as a D6/7 fan I much prefer Saturday games, as they allow for more leisurely pre-gaming activities.

I think the TV broadcasters pick who they want to play in each championship slot, then the earlier playoff games get played on the same night (division with the Thursday night game also plays on Fridays the weeks before).

The year OHSAA went to “every game on Friday every round” people lost their minds about how horrible the decision was. It also affected attendance more than predicted, so they scrapped that after one season.

The year OHSAA went to “every game on Friday every round” people lost their minds about how horrible the decision was. It also affected attendance more than predicted, so they scrapped that after one season.
Aren't they doing that again this weekend?

Aren't they doing that again this weekend?
Yes, just for rounds 1 and 2, not the entire tournament. And according to the statement released by the OHSAA, they did it because of a large volume of requests from lower division schools to have the games on Friday nights due to trouble finding workers for Saturday night games.

D1 is on Friday nowadays and started around when the Big10 started having a championship game and the liklihood of the Buckeyes playing on Saturday night.

The power brokers dont want to be required to be in attendance/pay attention to D1 on Saturday night so its on Friday.

Recall it always being the last game on Saturday night, sorta like the best for last...

I used to go to the other division championship games, then sell my ticket off for the D1 game so I could make the long drive home.

Apparently I’m in the minority, but as a D6/7 fan I much prefer Saturday games, as they allow for more leisurely pre-gaming activities.
I always liked Saturday playoff games in the 90s and 2000s. It's difficult on Friday nights especially with the neutral site games as you get deeper in the playoffs. Elder played at Piqua against Springfield a few years back, had they played on Saturday, I would have attended but being it was Friday I wouldn't have made it on time due to work.

It's better in West Virginia. Higher seed picks the site. Lower seed picks the day and time. Very few teams in the West Virginia ever choose to play on Saturday night. Most games are either on Friday night or Saturday afternoon.