Westerville Central HC Stepping Down

He will be back somewhere, and is a good coach. Family reasons is the most popular reason coaches cite as the reason they step down. Not saying that spending more time with family or paying more attention to the family in stressful times isn't the right move for coaches. Family is more important than their jobs. But I have to suspect that this past season and the big drop off in personnel along with the lower levels kind of struggling that he sees some writing on the wall and that it isn't promising after a nice stretch of a few years winning and having a handful of really good players in those years. I think a strategic thing to do for a 38-year-old HC is to maybe get out of a situation where you may lose fairly big for a few seasons in a row and the resume becomes a bit less impressive? Obviously, a coach would NEVER say this publicly. Best of luck to the coach in his next job, wherever that may be.

I would say the hazing incident with one of his players sexually assaulting another player and the way it was handled or not handled had a lot to do with this decision. WC as a whole has had a lot of incidents this year that makes you believe their is a total lack of discipline in that building.

He will be back somewhere, and is a good coach. Family reasons is the most popular reason coaches cite as the reason they step down. Not saying that spending more time with family or paying more attention to the family in stressful times isn't the right move for coaches. Family is more important than their jobs. But I have to suspect that this past season and the big drop off in personnel along with the lower levels kind of struggling that he sees some writing on the wall and that it isn't promising after a nice stretch of a few years winning and having a handful of really good players in those years. I think a strategic thing to do for a 38-year-old HC is to maybe get out of a situation where you may lose fairly big for a few seasons in a row and the resume becomes a bit less impressive? Obviously, a coach would NEVER say this publicly. Best of luck to the coach in his next job, wherever that may be.
This has nothing to do with talent or drop off or anything like that. That’s ignorant. This isn’t the NFL or Ohio state.

Coach Morrison-as he stated unequivocally-has more important things to tend to. And it’s his business.

This has nothing to do with talent or drop off or anything like that. That’s ignorant. This isn’t the NFL or Ohio state.

Coach Morrison-as he stated unequivocally-has more important things to tend to. And it’s his business.

Look around the state. Look at the number of "I'm resigning to spend time with my family" coaches are back in a head coaching gig in a year or 2. It's by far the most common and easiest cop out given. Not saying their family isn't part of it, but when they pop up and take a job the next year, it's clearly not the whole story.

Is this what the administration at Coffman told you?

Look around the state. Look at the number of "I'm resigning to spend time with my family" coaches are back in a head coaching gig in a year or 2. It's by far the most common and easiest cop out given. Not saying their family isn't part of it, but when they pop up and take a job the next year, it's clearly not the whole story.
some coaches are batter at juggling the two, some just aren't. some as they get older take a look around and reassess where their life is and where it's going. Article says he is 38? Sure he'll end up somewhere else down the road. I'm 40. Resigned from my wrestling job back in August after turning 40 last January. Sometimes you just need to slam on the brakes, take a look around and take a break. Nothing wrong with taking a break.

Are they saying “I’m resigning to spend the next 10 years with my family”? No. Maybe it only takes a year or two and they‘re ready to go back. I don’t think we NEED “the whole story”.

I'm telling you his wife having cancer and having two little kids is the big reason why he's stepping down.
So he isn’t comfortable elaborating on the reason for stepping down after 4 seasons at 38 but you are for him
in these spaces ? Hmm nice work. Many 38! Year olds have young kids . Tell us more details I’m
Sure he would be happy you’re sharing here .

So he isn’t comfortable elaborating on the reason for stepping down after 4 seasons at 38 but you are for him
in these spaces ? Hmm nice work. Many 38! Year olds have young kids . Tell us more details I’m
Sure he would be happy you’re sharing here .
WTF is wrong with you. Patton's post should have been all you needed to STF up and realized you'd put your foot in your mouth. Your azzinine refusal to move on kind of forced that information. Have some dignity and some respect.

WTF is wrong with you. Patton's post should have been all you needed to STF up and realized you'd put your foot in your mouth. Your azzinine refusal to move on kind of forced that information. Have some dignity and some respect.
He was forced to reveal something that the person himself wasn’t comfortable revealing I then press ? He thought everyone knew ? Right . He should have respected that the man himself wanted to keep that under wraps and and not revealed it . It’s clear not everyone knew about the mans personal situation . Most coaches cite family reasons . The football part wasn’t looking good . That’s not important as the family as I stated . I wasn’t criticizing the coach at all . Sorry to hear about his situation . Never said he wasn’t doing the right thing . Some opined that the scandals were the reason . So. It’s clear it wasn’t common knowledge and it wasn’t revealed in the press . Patton revealed something the coach didn’t want to reveal publicly to what ? Protect the coach ? From what ? Asine refusal . Forced to reveal ? Ahh no . He wasn’t forced to do anything .

Last edited:
That is exactly what the bexley coach did a few years ago..7th and 8th grade teams were thin....He knew that and just had finished a few playoff runs and resigned to “ to spend time with family” will probably coach again

It happens all the time. Who cares? What do you want him to say "I quit because we're going to be horrible for a few years?"

Anyway any names jump out that make sense here? I know WC kept it in house last go round. Same thing here?

It happens all the time. Who cares? What do you want him to say "I quit because we're going to be horrible for a few years?"

Anyway any names jump out that make sense here? I know WC kept it in house last go round. Same thing here?
They won’t go in house. They are going to try and get an established head coach.

That is exactly what the bexley coach did a few years ago..7th and 8th grade teams were thin....He knew that and just had finished a few playoff runs and resigned to “ to spend time with family” will probably coach again
He is currently an assistant at Bexley so this is false.

I would say the hazing incident with one of his players sexually assaulting another player and the way it was handled or not handled had a lot to do with this decision. WC as a whole has had a lot of incidents this year that makes you believe their is a total lack of discipline in that building.
This is true. Heard that building is a mess....

Yes, my sources are telling me they need to clean house at WC. Look for a outside hire.

Good luck to coach Morrison- Family First !

If Tom Phillips is interested in coaching, they should hire him immediately. Again, if he is interested.

If Tom Phillips is interested in coaching, they should hire him immediately. Again, if he is interested.
Westerville does not honor many years. Will be tough to afford him I am guessing. If he isn't interested in teaching, could definitely be a consideration.

Either a retired old guy, or up and comer IMO.

He is currently an assistant at Bexley so this is false.
no it is not he was off the staff for a number of years then came back on last year as asst coach because his son is currently on the team...He wanted to coach in some form his son I,m not even sure it is a paid position...Bexley has been terrible ever since he resigned. He knew the cupboards were bare got out before that hit the field

I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that coaches spend 330 days a year coaching football for pennies and then want to spend time with their families. How dare they...
No issue with doing that at all. Fact is most go back to the job in some form in short order, either as a HC somewhere else or as an assistant somewhere else with an eye towards another HC job. AD's sometimes resign cite family stuff or needing a break and take another job with better benefits and or money in a short time frame.

No issue with doing that at all. Fact is most go back to the job in some form in short order, either as a HC somewhere else or as an assistant somewhere else with an eye towards another HC job. AD's sometimes resign cite family stuff or needing a break and take another job with better benefits and or money in a short time frame.

Agree! And they are smart for doing so! American dream brother.