Western Reserve Job

Agree...don’t know who he is but it seems like he is just winging it. I have heard one of the “mystery” applicants is Chet Allen from Liberty. I can’t believe no reporter has gotten that list yet. So if Cochran and Buente were on staff...who are Jay Lude and Mike Devies?
Would be surprised if Chet applied there. But he did apply at struthers.

Agree...don’t know who he is but it seems like he is just winging it. I have heard one of the “mystery” applicants is Chet Allen from Liberty. I can’t believe no reporter has gotten that list yet. So if Cochran and Buente were on staff...who are Jay Lude and Mike Devies?

Dota would be a great fit. Mike Devies is the head coach at Waterloo and I believe was an assistant with Marlington before that. Cochran was obviously Western Reserve's defensive coordinator during Hake's run. Buente was on the staff last few years and the kids really love playing for him. Lude played for Kopachy at Western Reserve and is the current coordinator in Salem. He has been in Salem for over a decade. Hulea and Allen would make a lot of sense. Either way it sounds like Western Reserve has a mix of former Head Coaches and would be first timers.

Dota would be a great fit. Mike Devies is the head coach at Waterloo and I believe was an assistant with Marlington before that. Cochran was obviously Western Reserve's defensive coordinator during Hake's run. Buente was on the staff last few years and the kids really love playing for him. Lude played for Kopachy at Western Reserve and is the current coordinator in Salem. He has been in Salem for over a decade. Hulea and Allen would make a lot of sense. Either way it sounds like Western Reserve has a mix of former Head Coaches and would be first timers.

Doesn't every candidate for every job fall into one of those 2 categories?

I heard about 3 Interviews on Saturday with another 5 happening yesterday (Sunday). I believe the goal was to get the candidate list down to a few for 2nd interviews.
Other "rumor" was an assistance from South Range is thought of highly, I forget the name of the person, but...

These job search committees and 8 interviewees are a waste of time. The administration knows who the top 3 or 4 candidates are by resume and references and are just doing the rest for show. Why waste the time of these coaches who have no real shot of getting the job. Most of the time, the principal already knows who they want and the committee and interviews are done just to make it look like it was not a done deal already.

I heard about 3 Interviews on Saturday with another 5 happening yesterday (Sunday). I believe the goal was to get the candidate list down to a few for 2nd interviews.
Other "rumor" was an assistance from South Range is thought of highly, I forget the name of the person, but...

I heard the same thing about the bolded at the clinic on Friday.

Western Reserve is a school where "the right situation" is right there for any candidate...Big School or Small school. The area is growing(It will be the next North Lima). And has been a football "major" competitor for a while. One of the best jobs in the Mahoning Valley.

Western Reserve is a school where "the right situation" is right there for any candidate...Big School or Small school. The area is growing(It will be the next North Lima). And has been a football "major" competitor for a while. One of the best jobs in the Mahoning Valley.
I can name 15 better. It’s an alright small school job be realistic

Is their population really growing quick? I have no idea.

it would appear by their competitive balance number that it’s not necessarily a growing community and will rely on the next coach to go out and get players. 104 is enrollment and competitive balance is 25, which is a large number for a small school. It’s a good job if you can go recruit kids from surrounding communities.

I don't know about us growing out here we are really a small school in a small community.

We have had a lot of kids go here from Jackson Milton, Canfield, South Range, Waterloo, etc., heck, even a couple from Boardman and Struthers, but not sure any of them would have been starters in Football in their home districts.

We have fought off Ursuline to keep kids before (Capabianca for example), we have asked kids to come back from Ursuline before (he didn't and who could blame him, he started there). Had kids like Gatrel, who's mom moved to Canfield his Junior year, who stayed in the school. We have teachers, who graduated from WR, who own(ed) homes in Canfield, who teach here, their kids go here, but CB anyway?
Lots of parents who purchased a house, on the other side of Palmyra for example, who's kids went here, but were in JM district, who counted towards CB, etc. Heck, most of our addresses are "North Jackson" "44451" or "Canfield" "44406" because that's the post office that delivers mail.

I understand out CB numbers are high, the only other small school in this area with more was Mogadore, if I remember correctly. We don't recruit Football players, to think so is kind of laughable, how many of our boys have received a Scholarship to continue playing Football, 1-3 a year, for a small college, nothing worthy of getting Football players to come here over. I know I had choices when building a new home, lots of good school districts this way, I CHOSE to build in WR district, and it wasn't for Football in 2004!

That's interesting...I kind of wondered if Rach wouldn't be the one to succeed Yeagley when he retires. Rach or Nathan Toy would be the two that I think would be the favorites to some day take over. I guess if Rach would get the WR job, he could cut his teeth there and could still come back in a few years to take over SR.

I also just figured that David would be the heir apparent to Dan. He’s still a young man so I can understand if he’s ready to move on. (If it’s even true I mean)

Dota and Allen have the experience, and Rach has a really good pedigree by both playing and coaching for Yeagley. I guess WR really can't go wrong by hiring any of the 3. It would be a perfect situation for Rach to come in to as a first time HC. A winning program with good support from the community, good numbers every year, and kids who probably have really good fundamentals already. What more could a first time HC ask for lol?

Dota and Allen have the experience, and Rach has a really good pedigree by both playing and coaching for Yeagley. I guess WR really can't go wrong by hiring any of the 3. It would be a perfect situation for Rach to come in to as a first time HC. A winning program with good support from the community, good numbers every year, and kids who probably have really good fundamentals already. What more could a first time HC ask for lol?

The only thing is it’ll be tough out the gates for them this year. They graduated 20 seniors I think, which includes almost all their skill players and have a tough early schedule:
1- Southeast who beat them last year and returns their 2k yard running back.
2- JFK is primed for a really good season
3- Norwayne is also good despite a bit of a down year in 2019
4- Milton should be an easy win
5- McDonald returns pretty much everyone and should be really good.

It eases up after that but still have Springfield later in the year.

The only thing is it’ll be tough out the gates for them this year. They graduated 20 seniors I think, which includes almost all their skill players and have a tough early schedule:

Didn’t they have like 80 players or something crazy last year ?

Good point. I wasn't aware that they lost that much from last year, I was just going on their recent history. I still think it's a great program to take over as a first time head coach. Small public schools are all somewhere on the "roller coaster". Ups and downs and ups and downs. Even if there isn't quite as much talent as in previous years, he would still have a really good foundation to start with.

Last edited: