Western Buckeye League Prediction Contest, Week 4

Nash

(0-3) Bath at Elida (3-0)
(1-2) Celina at Kenton (1-2)
(0-3) O-G at St. Marys (2-1)
(1-2) Defiance at Shawnee (1-2)
(3-0) Van Wert at Wapak (2-1)

Game of the week is Van Wert at Wapak, easily. Elida remains undefeated as well but hasn't faced the competition others have or had the recent success to match the other league contenders. Cripes, I just noticed Elida doesn't play the top four teams until the final four weeks. This should be interesting...
I ran out of time this weekend and didn't add up last week's picks yet, hopefully I will in the next couple days, but I wanted to get this posted so no one forgets to choose their winners.

Last week was quite simply, the worst week ever in WBL Contest history. I never looked over the picks before making mine and was stunned to see 11 records of 1-4, I browsed back and never saw a week with more than maybe three people with just one win. 20 out of 25 people with losing records total last week, is surpassed by maybe only 3 other weeks in the history of the contest, in terms of percentage, and only two weeks in total losing records. Nine people went 2-3, with three 3-2s, and just two 4-1s. Shawnee's near-unanimous pick didn't allow anyone to go undefeated last week. Three people fell off the all-week list, leaving 20 total. Our two undefeated co-leaders from last week were trying to be the first to go 20-0 but slumped with one win each, to drop into a tie for 3rd. Van Wert was the only unanimous pick - and the only game many people got correct. Celina was picked just once, with yet again no games really being very close picks. The only two 4-1 records from last week are now the co-leaders.
Van Wert over Defiance 25-0 (win)
Shawnee over Celina 24-1 (loss)
Bath over Kenton 20-5 (loss)
St. Marys over Wapak 18-7 (loss)
O-G over Elida 17-8 (loss)

17-3 Nash
17-3 Old_School

16-4 Cavman96
16-4 CR22
16-4 hermonboone22
16-4 dhsdog06
16-4 jonmoxon

15-5 auscon
15-5 buckeye1689
15-5 Clase8821
15-5 CougarDad52
15-5 LICKING COUNTY FAN
15-5 StateChampion2012
15-5 tucson

14-6 *67
14-6 ShoelessJoe
14-6 snoopdog3

13-7 933York
13-7 TiGgEr3

12-8 CYO C Team

Others:
14-1 937Football
14-1 BirdDog10
12-3 fvapaches05
9-6 NoHomer10
9-1 OSUOSU
7-3 Blazer
6-4 CougarFan4Life
4-1 54cheetah
3-2 Armchair7
2-3 NWCC fan

Last edited:

Getting picks in early this week. Last week destroyed me and others.

Elida - the winning streak keeps going.
Kenton - Hard to pick.
St. Marys - OG is struggling
Defiance - Hope I don't regret this.
Van Wert - First true test for VW.

0-3) Bath at Elida (3-0) - The running clocks starts in 3, 2, 1.
(1-2) Celina at Kenton (1-2) - Heads for Celina, tails for Kenton. Celina wins the toss. 🤷‍♂️
(0-3) O-G at St. Marys (2-1) - Going with home team.
(1-2) Defiance at Shawnee (1-2) - After see them last week, feels like a different team this year for Defiance.
(3-0) Van Wert at Wapak (2-1) - True barometer test to see where we are at. For what it's worth, back in 8th grade Wapak beat VW. It came down to final play of the game with wide open VW receiver dropping a TD pass for the win. I will be bringing my heart medicine just in case...

(1-2) Celina
at Kenton (1-2)
(0-3) O-G at St.Marys (2-1)
(1-2) Defiance
at Shawnee (1-2)

(1-2) Celina
at Kenton (1-2)
(1-2) Defiance
at Shawnee (1-2)

(1-2) Celina
at Kenton (1-2)
(1-2) Defiance
at Shawnee (1-2)

(1-2) Celina at Kenton (1-2)
(1-2) Defiance
at Shawnee (1-2)

Elida - rolls to 4-0 over Bath
Celina - I think they'll overpower Kenton, but the bottom of the WBL is unpredictable in who is the worst
St Marys - OG is solid, but just going through a meat grinder
Defiance - should beat Shawnee, probably a low scoring game
Van Wert - game of the week. will it be another shootout? I think VW will make less mistakes and get the W

FYI I have now posted last week's results in the original message...

Elida over Bath big, and really, the only probable blowout?
Celina over Kenton - God dang, could these teams' results be any more similar? Both were crushed twice by 3-0 teams and rebounded with a win last week over supposedly bad teams. I feel just a tad more confident in Celina based on last year's returning players, I guess.
St. Marys over O-G - The Titans aren't far off but just haven't shown enough offense to beat one of the best teams in the league.
Defiance over Shawnee - Defiance's opponents have been tougher than Shawnee's so far, I just hope the Bulldogs can finish some drives for once. If not, it's going to be a long season for sure.
Van Wert over Wapak - could be the game of the year in the WBL, I just can't pick against Van Wert's explosiveness.

I'll tell you what, these aren't much easier than last week's picks. I can see either team winning four of these games. They should get easier after next week when we have a larger sample of results.

Elida- Nothing to say
St. Marys- I think OG is still good, but 0-4 would look weird and in that region, even at 16 teams, could be tough to make it in at.
Kenton- Neither are good. Just picking home field.
Defiance- Gotta finish. But they've looked better than Shawnee this year.
Van Wert- Just too explosive