Western Buckeye League 2022

Wapakoneta defense has most of its best players returning and some younger talent coming up. I thought Moyers son was the QB of the 8th team which didn’t lose a game last year

WBL the last 5 years:
1. St. Marys 47-13 (10-5 playoffs) 2x WBL Champion (2017, 2018), 5x Playoffs (2017-2021), 1x Regional Champion (2018)
2. Van Wert 43-15 (10-2 playoffs) 1x WBL Champion (2021), 3x Playoffs (2018, 2020, 2021), 1x Regional Runner-Up (2021), 1x Regional Champion (2020), 1x State Champion (2020)
3. Wapak 38-15 (4-3 playoffs) 3x WBL Champion (2018, 2019, 2021), 4x Playoffs (2018-2021), 1x Regional Runner-Up (2018)
4. OG 35-18 (8-3 playoffs) 3x Playoffs (2019-2021), 1x Regional Runner-Up (2019), 1x Regional Champion (2021)
5. Kenton 24-26 (1-2 Playoffs) 1x WBL Champion (2019) 2x Playoffs (2019-2020)
6. Shawnee 23-28 (1-2 Playoffs) 2x Playoffs (2020-2021)
7. Elida 20-30 (0-2 Playoffs) 2x Playoffs (2017, 2020)
8. Celina 19-30 (0-1 Playoffs) 1x Playoffs (2020)
9. Bath 11-38 (1-2 Playoffs) 2x Playoffs (2020-2021)
10. Defiance 11-39 (1-1 Playoffs) 1x Playoffs (2020)

Last edited:
Man, I know Defiance has been dreadful for more than a decade now, but it hurts to see it worse than the other few WBL programs that have struggled recently as well.

Man, I know Defiance has been dreadful for more than a decade now, but it hurts to see it worse than the other few WBL programs that have struggled recently as well.
That freshmen class is special, if they can stay together. Not saying they will win state in football, leave that to baseball, but they should be able to be very competitive in the next couple years. Not sure after that class graduates. I really believe the little league needs to start playing outside of Defiance and either start playing WBL little league or Bryan, Wauseon, and/or Napoleon LL.

That freshmen class is special, if they can stay together. Not saying they will win state in football, leave that to baseball, but they should be able to be very competitive in the next couple years. Not sure after that class graduates. I really believe the little league needs to start playing outside of Defiance and either start playing WBL little league or Bryan, Wauseon, and/or Napoleon LL.
Or get rid of LL Football all together like a lot of the MAC schools.

I thought, when Defiance traveled to Milton-Union, that they had a good nucleus to compete. They really pressured a young and talented MU team.
I think if they can get more buy in from the kids and maybe better coaching they can be decent. A school like Milton-Union would struggle in that league. The depth and traditions there would make it very hard for our version of Bulldogs to have winning seasons.

Bath - Loses a very good senior class from an average, but well-coached football team. Heard they had a strong JV team to build off of, but not sure this is even an average team this year. 3-7 is a conservative forecast.

Celina - Has dropped off quite a bit in recent years. Do they even have a dangerous offensive weapon on their team? Too big a school to be this bad, but its going to take some young talent and enthusiasm from the players or the coaching staff to turn it around. Feels like 2-8.

Defiance - Noticeably improved from last year, by better coaching. Can be middle of the road if they can get some of their tough kids in that town out for football. Any of those 1997 state champs kids have sons in HS yet? Prediction: 4-6

Elida - Wide range of possible outcomes for this team. Do have a talented 3 year starter at QB, but can he stay healthy? Good coach going into this 3rd year, let's see what he can do now. 5-5 but could be anywhere from a 3 win up to a 7 win team depending on how things go.

Kenton - Will be better this year, but the Mauk era has receded to a distant memory. Young, promising QB and skill kids, but dedication to the weight room needs to return to this program. 1-9

Memorial - Has been on the upswing, and has a talented, bruising RB back to batter opponents with for this year. Finished the year on a strong run and was the only team to beat VW. 8-2, with an outside chance at 10-0 if they can replace some talented skill kids from last year.

Ottawa-Glandorf - Tough for me to call, lots of question marks at key positions as OG looks to replace a good senior class. They'll find a way to get it done and will be solid, smart and athletic on both sides of the ball. 7-3 is a pretty average year for OG and might be as good a guess as any.

Shawnee - Biggest question mark in the WBL. Usually play very good defense, and need to find some skill players to score some points. They go 5-5 by beating the teams that can't score, and finding a way to win.

Van Wert - Have the best offensive weapon in the WBL returning, but need to replace a great senior class. Things are rolling in VW now, and I think their coaching and their stud QB will carry them to a WBL title once again. 9-1

Wapak - Lost a great QB/RB tandem, but always find a way to reload and come back strong. Great program that finds a way to put out an excellent product year after year. Not sure if they have a rabbit in the hat like they found last year at QB, but their defense is consistently top notch. I think they drop down just a tick this year at 7-3.

Van Wert = 9-1
Memorial = 8-2
OG = 7-3
Wapak = 7-3
Shawnee = 5-5
Elida = 5-5
Defiance = 4-6
Bath = 3-7
Celina = 2-8
Kenton = 1-9
Great breakdown.

How many MAC vs WBL matchups do we get this year?
Kenton vs Coldwater
Wapak vs MSML
Bath vs New Bremen
I was thinking there might be another 1 or two?

How many MAC vs WBL matchups do we get this year?
Kenton vs Coldwater
Wapak vs MSML
Bath vs New Bremen
I was thinking there might be another 1 or two?
I think the non-league looks like this:
Van Wert vs. Bryan
St. Marys vs. London
Wapak @ Marion Local
Kenton vs. Coldwater
Bath @ New Bremen
Celina vs. Versailles
Defiance @ Napoleon
Elida @ Spencerville
Shawnee @ Lima Central Catholic
Ottawa Glandorf vs. Eastwood

Looks like Defiance has added some size to their team with the transfer of Christian Commisso from Tinora. Good sized boy that will definitely be a key component to the team in the fall.

Looks like Defiance has added some size to their team with the transfer of Christian Commisso from Tinora. Good sized boy that will definitely be a key component to the team in the fall.
Wow! Kinda shocked to see he transferred. His older brother was a senior this year, good player but not as big. Christian was a stud already as a sophomore when they played Grove 2 years ago

FEB4916D-069A-4ACC-AFCC-3C6D49F8C64A.jpeg

Saw on Twitter that Shawnee is getting turf. Probably one of my favorite designs of all of the schools that added turf recently

FOelHJ7XIA82Jjl.jpg

Looks like OG is planning on some major football stadium renovations, I'm assuming turf will be part of the plan

In a few years the WBL on average will have the best group of stadiums for one league in the state IMO
Best group of stadiums.....plus Kenton.

Although who knows. They polished the turd at Bath and it's now a serviceable stadium. Maybe there's hope for Robinson Field as well.

As long as they don't break out the beer bottles and deer decoys.