Western Buckeye League 2022

I'm confused by the definition of a townie, honestly.

I'd argue whatever it is, Defiance in ZERO ways meets it, so there's one back half school not just hiring random home town guys.

Kline, for all his trouble at both Defiance and Pleasant, won at Edgerton and won big at Bryan. He was then on staff one year and took over for Buti.

Cooper is a Fairview grad, which I guess some would consider to fit the definition being local. Taught at Defiance while working under Buti and then won at Bryan and won at Wauseon. In both of those cases, it was more like guys who paid their dues that happened to have ties to the city/program.

Then again we've been blessed with great facilities and some of the best coaches in NW Ohio in all of the 3 big sports. They period where we had Buti/Lehman/Held could have arguably been some of the best coaching in the state.
It looks like Defiance is headed in the right direction ……… Pleasant on the other had is not . Pleasant will be lucky to win more than 3 games a year under Kline ever . He doesn’t develop kids . He has no emotion on the sidelines and his play calling is Junior high level . I’m sorry Defiance and Pleasant will never get the years wasted under Kline back . It’s a shame there are really good athletes at Pleasant .

It looks like Defiance is headed in the right direction ……… Pleasant on the other had is not . Pleasant will be lucky to win more than 3 games a year under Kline ever . He doesn’t develop kids . He has no emotion on the sidelines and his play calling is Junior high level . I’m sorry Defiance and Pleasant will never get the years wasted under Kline back . It’s a shame there are really good athletes at Pleasant .

Are you guys undisciplined and plagued with stupid penalties and turnovers?

Kline is a great guy, and his pre Defiance history says he can coach at least a little, but yeah...his last 2 stops haven't been pretty. It's a shame too, cause as a person he's top notch and the kind of guy you want your kids learning under. I hope it gets better for all involved down there.

To be fair to the guy, we weren't exactly good the last 5-6 years under Buti either, and he's a living legend.

Are you guys undisciplined and plagued with stupid penalties and turnovers?

Kline is a great guy, and his pre Defiance history says he can coach at least a little, but yeah...his last 2 stops haven't been pretty. It's a shame too, cause as a person he's top notch and the kind of guy you want your kids learning under. I hope it gets better for all involved down there.

To be fair to the guy, we weren't exactly good the last 5-6 years under Buti either, and he's a living legend.
When we Lose 20-13 and one of Whitehall long runs happens when we only have 10 guys on the field I would say yes very dumb mistakes . We played with 10 players a lot last year also Smh. Time will tell I don’t see the Spartan community letting him stay to long if he only wins a couple of games a year , but then again people at pleasant have changed . A lot of outsiders running the show now days . I think people are just fine with a coach that is nice to hang out with after games .

I'm confused by the definition of a townie, honestly.

I'd argue whatever it is, Defiance in ZERO ways meets it, so there's one back half school not just hiring random home town guys.

Kline, for all his trouble at both Defiance and Pleasant, won at Edgerton and won big at Bryan. He was then on staff one year and took over for Buti.

Cooper is a Fairview grad, which I guess some would consider to fit the definition being local. Taught at Defiance while working under Buti and then won at Bryan and won at Wauseon. In both of those cases, it was more like guys who paid their dues that happened to have ties to the city/program.

Then again we've been blessed with great facilities and some of the best coaches in NW Ohio in all of the 3 big sports. They period where we had Buti/Lehman/Held could have arguably been some of the best coaching in the state.
A townie is just a coach that is a non-teacher.

WBL Week 4 Finals
Wapakoneta 20, Van Wert 19
St Marys Memorial 41, Ottawa-Glandorf 12
Elida 31, Bath 10
Defiance 28, Shawnee 12
Celina 27, Kenton 7

WBL Standings
1. Elida -- 4-0 (3-0)
1. Wapakoneta -- 3-1 (3-0)
3. St Marys Memorial -- 3-1 (2-1)
3. Van Wert -- 3-1 (2-1)
3. Celina -- 2-2 (2-1)
6. Defiance -- 2-2 (1-2)
6. Kenton -- 1-3 (1-2)
6. Shawnee -- 1-3 (1-2)
9. Bath -- 0-4 (0-3)
9. Ottawa-Glandorf -- 0-4 (0-3)

WBL Week 5 Games
Celina (2-2) @ Elida (4-0)
St Marys Memorial (3-1) @ Van Wert (3-1)
Shawnee (1-3) @ Wapakoneta (3-1)
Kenton (1-3) @ Defiance (2-2)
Ottawa-Glandorf (0-4) @ Bath (0-4)

An exciting week 4 in the WBL. Both Defiance and Wapak got shutout in the first half and trailed (Van Wert led Wapak 19-0; Shawnee led Defiance 12-0). Yet, in the second half both Defiance and Wapak shutout their foes to mount a come from behind victory. The VW-Wapak game sounded particularly thrilling as it sounds like it came down to the final seconds. If anyone was at the game or listened on radio, I'd love to hear more about the sequence. I bet it was electric.

Also who would've thought that Elida would be the last remaining unbeaten team overall? Granted, their opponents are currently a combined 2-14 so it's really not that surprising, but it will be interesting to see if they can compete with the traditional powerhouses in the WBL. Elida will still probably be favored in their next two games as they have Celina and Defiance before the Wapak-SM-VW gauntlet.

Defiance hasn't been 2-2 since 2018. If they beat Kenton, it will also be the first time they've had a winning record at the halfway point since 18. That team started 4-2 but blew a huge 4th quarter lead against Elida week 4 and lost to OG in the final minute, stopping what could have been a 6-1 start. They then got throttled week 8-10.

Tonight was...interesting. Looked totally lost for 2.5 quarters, then flipped a switch and dominated the last quarter and a half.

Still shocked Wapak came back and pulled that game out. Plus, their schedule gets considerably easier as well. Not sure what to think about Elida, but the Redskins could very well run the table and finish 9-1 with only a close loss to Marion Local.

Van Wert-St.Marys will be a good game next week. Whoever loses that game will most likely be out of league title contention.

OG being winless surprises me. Granted, their schedule hasn’t been easy so far, but I would have expected 2-2 or 1-3 worse case.

Will be interesting to see how Elida does with their schedule getting tougher.

Defiance, Celina, Shawnee are middle of the pack, with Kenton and Bath bringing up the rear.

Easy to 2nd guess now, but why even punt there? 4th and 1, past midfield, against an offense that isn't really known for quick strikes. Best case you get it, game over. Worst case you give them 10 seconds to go 55 yards.

Recker is a hell of a coach, but that decision will be second guessed for a long time.

Side note: Shawnee has a hell of a kicker. Not sure when I last saw a 42 yard FG in a high school game, but he hit it easily.

Defiance seems to be something of a second half team so far this year, which is good. Maybe the coaches are really earning their pay.
It also seems like Van Wert is only a one-half team this year?? Wasn't it 19-0 in the first quarter? Last week Van Wert did most of its damage in the first half as well, and it was in the second half, two weeks ago.
I know it's actually tied with Shawnee but after going 0-10 last year and not being much better this year it appears, it seems weird seeing three teams below Kenton in tuscon's WBL Standings.

Easy to 2nd guess now, but why even punt there? 4th and 1, past midfield, against an offense that isn't really known for quick strikes. Best case you get it, game over. Worst case you give them 10 seconds to go 55 yards.

Recker is a hell of a coach, but that decision will be second guessed for a long time.
Agreed. As a Wapak fan, that call was mind boggling. Wapak was obviously lined up for an all out block, Van Wert could’ve went for a fake and it likely being successful.

Still not sure how this “explosive” offense gets shut out in the second half, give credit to Wapak’s coaching staff for making obvious adjustments. Wish I could’ve seen this game live, sounds like it was a great one

Agreed. As a Wapak fan, that call was mind boggling. Wapak was obviously lined up for an all out block, Van Wert could’ve went for a fake and it likely being successful.

Still not sure how this “explosive” offense gets shut out in the second half, give credit to Wapak’s coaching staff for making obvious adjustments. Wish I could’ve seen this game live, sounds like it was a great one

Agreed. Wapak's coaches and defense deserve massive amounts of credit for adjusting and keeping this game close when at 19-0 early they were at risk of getting run out of town. Really all you ask for at that point is to keep it close and have a shot late. The call was terrible, but credit has to be given to the kids who kept it close and capitalized on it. Gutsy win and likely won them a league title.

Week 4 power rankings

1 Wapak
2 Van Wert
3 St. Marys
4 Elida
5 OG
6 Defiance
7 Celina
8 Shawnee
9 Kenton
10 Bath

All respect to Wapak, I think if that game is played 10 times, VW likely wins 7. But, the one that mattered and was played went to the Skins, so they take the top spot. I don't think the separation between 3 and 7 is huge. Defiance and Celina seem similar, and Defiance fought SM hard. Elida and OG are both hard to read for opposite reasons. 8-10 are all bad. Bath will likely be 0-10. I could at least see Shawnee and Kenton pulling an upset on the right day.

Wow, is all a can say after watching the Wapak/VW game Friday night. I agree with dhsdog06, that we can second guess that call all day. I actually gasp out loud when I saw the punt team coming on the field. The call was made and unfortunately an absolutely worse situation happened for the Cougars. With that said, I still believe in the VW coaches! The minority of fans that lost their _____ on Friday, probably have never played or coached. As pedestrian as we played in the second half, we still should/could have won the game. The little that I know after the game, it was a good come to Jesus moment for us as team. Onward to play the Riders. Go Cougs!

Wow, is all a can say after watching the Wapak/VW game Friday night. I agree with dhsdog06, that we can second guess that call all day. I actually gasp out loud when I saw the punt team coming on the field. The call was made and unfortunately an absolutely worse situation happened for the Cougars. With that said, I still believe in the VW coaches! The minority of fans that lost their _____ on Friday, probably have never played or coached. As pedestrian as we played in the second half, we still should/could have won the game. The little that I know after the game, it was a good come to Jesus moment for us as team. Onward to play the Riders. Go Cougs!
Tough way to lose. Hope it's a wake up call and fuels post season success.

After 4 games of watching Caleb Moyer im starting to see a future one of a kind player for Wapak. Being a 9th grader I flinch alot seeing the hits the kid is taking but he always answers the call when its his turn again. Passing and running have both improved and the offense is starting to look like a unit that can help out the defense when needed. One thing that i always wonder is the Brown kid has so much size and lately not being used on defense much why not put him on the O-line and let him pave the way for our running game. The Pratt kid for VW has a arm that I can only describe as Mauk like he made a throw Friday night we all was like what the heck. I feel Wapak can run the rest of their schedule but now they are the target for a bunch of teams that have nothing to lose except Elida

Brown kid has so much size and lately not being used on defense much why not put him on the O-line and let him pave the way for our running game.
Brown has almost too much size. Mobility and quickness become an issue when considering a spot on the o-line.

After 4 games of watching Caleb Moyer im starting to see a future one of a kind player for Wapak.
I feel like Wapak posters were saying this would be a rebuilding year, but it definitely feels like they're ahead of schedule. Wapak's already a solid football program. If Wapak can't get over the regional title hump in the Caleb Moyer era, I'm not sure they ever will. These next few years should be bright for them.

People in the Wapak community have been talking about this year's freshmen class, led by Caleb Moyer, since they were in 7th grade. They dominated last season as 8th graders. If they can manage to live up to all the hype, they have the potential for a deep run in the playoffs during their high school careers. Can they actually live up to the hype though? That is what I will be excited to see. 8th grade football is a whole lot different than high school football, after all.

I love the “still believe in the VW coaches” as they are the same staff for the most part that won a state championship.

I love the “still believe in the VW coaches” as they are the same staff for the most part that won a state championship.
Dude, what’s up with the pretentious comment? What part of my post did I not support the coaches? Pretty petty and brazen to sarcastically assume otherwise.

Dude, what’s up with the pretentious comment? What part of my post did I not support the coaches? Pretty petty and brazen to sarcastically assume otherwise.
Your post was fine. I've heard some rumblings over there and was wondering how that could happen given all the success.