8. Celina -- 0-3 (0-2)
8. Kenton -- 0-3 (0-2)

Week 4 Games
Wapak (2-1) @ Van Wert (3-0)
Shawnee (3-0) @ Defiance (1-2)
St Marys (2-1) @ Ottawa-Glandorf (1-2)
Elida (2-1) @ Bath (2-1)
Kenton (0-3) @ Celina (0-3)

Looks like Wapak-St Marys was very much the game we thought it would be. Another low scoring affair. On the opposite end of the spectrum, heard Van Wert scored all 55 of their points in the first half??? Wow. Shawnee's defense continues to be smothering, solid win by the Indians. Also very impressed by Bath's margin of victory over Kenton. Bath basically beat Kenton by the same score Coldwater did. Nice to see the Wildcats of Bath having some success.

Week 4 looks to be the most competitive slate of games yet. All eyes will be on the Wapak-Van Wert showdown. St Marys-OG and Elida-Bath should be good games too. And we have our first toilet bowl game of the season with Kenton-Celina, I'm sure Defiance is feeling really left out but they'll get their chance.

Wapak St Marys yet again decided by 5 or less for the 4th year in a row

Interesting fact, assuming Shawnee beats Defiance, 4 of Wapak’s first 5 games will be against teams that were undefeated at the time of playing them.

Week 1: Marion Local 0-0
Week 3: St. Mary’s 2-0
Week 4: Van Wert 3-0
Week 5: Shawnee 4-0

If they can go 2-2 during this stretch, I’d say they’ve done pretty good

At the Kenton Bath game last night and Kenton is starting 12 Sophomores and 2 freshmen. How does a program with a history of Kenton have to start that many under classmen??

Is Van Wert experiencing a high in talent or a great coach? They seem to be on a track for another D4 title. Impressive

Is Van Wert experiencing a high in talent or a great coach? They seem to be on a track for another D4 title. Impressive
Good coach with excellent talent - great speed. In today's HS FB a QB with an arm, IQ and speed is a recipe for winning. VW has that along with fast receivers and backs.

Good coach with excellent talent - great speed. In today's HS FB a QB with an arm, IQ and speed is a recipe for winning. VW has that along with fast receivers and backs.
Their offense is amazing to watch, it might be the best offense the WBL has seen in a long time. Their QB currently has as many incompletions as touchdowns--11.

Week 4 Final Scores
Van Wert 55, Wapakoneta 45
Shawnee 10, Defiance 7
Celina 21, Kenton 20
Ottawa-Glandorf 35, St Marys 16
Bath 27, Elida 7

Standings
1. Shawnee -- 4-0 (3-0)
1. Van Wert -- 4-0 (3-0)
3. Bath -- 3-1 (2-1)
3. O-G -- 2-2 (2-1)
3. Wapak -- 2-2 (2-1)
6. Elida -- 2-2 (1-2)
6. St Marys -- 2-2 (1-2)
6. Celina -- 1-3 (1-2)
9. Defiance -- 1-3 (0-3)
9. Kenton -- 0-4 (0-3)

Week 5 Games
Van Wert (4-0) @ St Marys (2-2)
Wapak (2-2) @ Shawnee (4-0)
Bath (3-1) @ O-G (2-2)
Elida (2-2) @ Celina (1-3)
Defiance (1-3) @ Kenton (0-4)

Saw definite improvement out of Defiance tonight. Defense played well enough to win, and not in the same way as Napoleon where they needed goal line stands. Shawnee had drives where they looked overpowered. I know that's not a great offense, but after the last 2 weeks that's encouraging.

Offense actually found it's identity at times as well. The TD drive was actually impressive, and they moved the ball well at times. Penalties and negative plays at bad time cost them, but for once I felt like they were in it. If Kenton and Celina are as bad as advertised...this team tonight could pick up another win or 2.

Shawnee is who I thought they were though. Good defensive team, not a league title contender but could play spoiler and win 6-7 games.

What a night in the WBL. Shawnee with a closer-than-expected game winning FG as time expires, Celina and Kenton in the toilet bowl game of the week, Kenton scored late but missed the 2 point conversion, and then Bath and OG overpowered Elida and St Marys, respectively.

The game of the week, and probably of the season, Wapak-VW. I listened to the first half on the radio. Part of me is surprised it was a 55-45 shootout, part of me isn't surprised. I mean, the WBL is historically a defensive and lower scoring league. This Van Wert offense though has been explosive in every game. I'm not all that surprised to see VW put up 55 in this game. I am maybe a bit surprised they allowed 45 points and that, for both teams, it was such a back and forth affair. That's how the flow of shootout type of games go, just surprising to see Wapak in a high scoring affair. VW definitely has the offense to make a deep run in the playoffs, but I'm not sure they have the defense. With an offense like the Cougars have, who even cares about defense. :ROFLMAO:

Even though it's early in the season, it's nice to see teams like Bath and Shawnee near the top of the WBL standings. Let's just see if they can stay there.

Last edited:
What a night in the WBL. Shawnee with a closer-than-expected game winning FG as time expires, Celina and Kenton in the toilet bowl game of the week, Kenton scored late but missed the 2 point conversion, and then Bath and OG overpowered Elida and St Marys, respectively.

The game of the week, and probably of the season, Wapak-VW. I listened to the first half on the radio. Part of me is surprised it was a 55-45 shootout, part of me isn't surprised. I mean, the WBL is historically a defensive and lower scoring league. This Van Wert offense though has been explosive in every game. I'm not all that surprised to see VW put up 55 in this game. I am maybe a bit surprised they allowed 45 points and that, for both teams, it was such a back and forth affair. That's how the flow of shootout type of games go, just surprising to see Wapak in a high scoring affair. VW definitely has the offense to make a deep run in the playoffs, but I'm not sure they have the defense. With an offense like the Cougars have, who even cares about defense. :ROFLMAO:

Even though it's early in the season, it's nice to see teams like Bath and Shawnee near the top of the WBL standings. Let's just see if they can stay there.
Goulet might be the best player VW sees until very late in the playoffs.

Their offense is something else. I think it might be fair to say already that Pratt is better than Treece. Plus you add they have a two-headed monster at running back and they're deep at wide receiver.

That said, Van Wert is a notch above everyone else in the league this year.

Van Wert itself – against what many people think could be the 2nd best team in the league – scored more points than both teams combined in each of the other 4 WBL games.

`Wapak may be the best 2-2 team in the league and Goulet was amazing. Van Wert continues to amaze me what they can do on Offense and the mental toughness they have. Most teams would have feel fallen over after the hay makers that Wapak delivered. Look for more offense wrinkles this week.

`Wapak may be the best 2-2 team in the league and Goulet was amazing. Van Wert continues to amaze me what they can do on Offense and the mental toughness they have. Most teams would have feel fallen over after the hay makers that Wapak delivered. Look for more offense wrinkles this wethen.
Tough to harshly judge a team who's 2-2 because they played 2 legit state title threats lol.

If Wapak doesn't go 8-2 at this point I'd be shocked.

It's a long season. Lots of football to be played. The WBL is all over the place. Van Wert seems to be improving every week, still, they haven't beaten a team with a winning record. That is only stating a fact that probably will change in the future, but after 4 games they have played nobody with 3 wins. Still, the obvious choice to win the League.

It's a long season. Lots of football to be played. The WBL is all over the place. Van Wert seems to be improving every week, still, they haven't beaten a team with a winning record. That is only stating a fact that probably will change in the future, but after 4 games they have played nobody with 3 wins. Still, the obvious choice to win the League.
The only WBL school to do that is Shawnee, who had to have a last second FG to beat Defiance, who St. Marys beat 56-0 and who Van Wert led 55-6 on at halftime. So please provide context.

Just a quick side note from current WBL football as I know he had a large impact on WBL football in the past, former Defiance assistant coach Wyatt Vaughn passed away over the weekend from complications with cancer. More recently Wyatt was an assistant at Springfield, St Francis and was set to be on staff at Woodward as well as coaching wrestling at Rogers. He loved Defiance football, he loved Jerry Buti and he loved competing in the grind of the WBL week in and week out.

The only WBL school to do that is Shawnee, who had to have a last second FG to beat Defiance, who St. Marys beat 56-0 and who Van Wert led 55-6 on at halftime. So please provide context.
No pretense here. Just being "Captain obvious". Went to Joe Eitel and saw the teams they had played are 2-2 or less. Also stated the future will change that if the teams they beat are good, their records will grow.
If I see your context correct, Shawnee should get beat by at least 50 this week versus Wapak. What I meant about the WBL being all over the place is each week there are head scratchers, because of matchups.
VanWert is the obvious choice at present to win the League.

No pretense here. Just being "Captain obvious". Went to Joe Eitel and saw the teams they had played are 2-2 or less. Also stated the future will change that if the teams they beat are good, their records will grow.
If I see your context correct, Shawnee should get beat by at least 50 this week versus Wapak. What I meant about the WBL being all over the place is each week there are head scratchers, because of matchups.
VanWert is the obvious choice at present to win the League.
It would not shock me if Shawnee was running clocked by Wapak, since Shawnee's offense is not very good and Wapak's offense seems to be hitting its stride.

Just a quick side note from current WBL football as I know he had a large impact on WBL football in the past, former Defiance assistant coach Wyatt Vaughn passed away over the weekend from complications with cancer. More recently Wyatt was an assistant at Springfield, St Francis and was set to be on staff at Woodward as well as coaching wrestling at Rogers. He loved Defiance football, he loved Jerry Buti and he loved competing in the grind of the WBL week in and week out.

Hadn't heard that. Good dude, he'll definitely be missed.