West G opening

Wolverine92

Surprised no one has posted about the West G opening. Anyone have an opinion on favorites to land the job. Idk why the coach left but seemed to be getting the team on the right track

Last edited:

My guess is this had something to do with it...

Did the merger of Newbury add to enrollment or # playing football much? At 1 time Newbury had some good teams didn't they?

Did the merger of Newbury add to enrollment or # playing football much? At 1 time Newbury had some good teams didn't they?
The merger didn't bring a ton of kids to West G as it had one of the lowest enrollment numbers in the state, but a few good players from Newbury played there the last two years. DL Luke Reed and LB Julian Chichella were standouts at both schools and All District players.

The 2015-2019 squads were the best in nearly 50 years at Newbury, combination of some good athletes and really good coaching as Ryan Williams (currently on Gilmour's staff) was head coach and he had NDCL's form OC George O'Hamill in the same capacity brought with him the Linebackers and hybrids coaches from Euclid where he had been DC at the year prior to the start of his run at Newbury.

The merger didn't bring a ton of kids to West G as it had one of the lowest enrollment numbers in the state, but a few good players from Newbury played there the last two years. DL Luke Reed and LB Julian Chichella were standouts at both schools and All District players.

The 2015-2019 squads were the best in nearly 50 years at Newbury, combination of some good athletes and really good coaching as Ryan Williams (currently on Gilmour's staff) was head coach and he had NDCL's form OC George O'Hamill in the same capacity brought with him the Linebackers and hybrids coaches from Euclid where he had been DC at the year prior to the start of his run at Newbury.
It helped when Newbury left the CVC and got with schools similiar in size. Back in the day, they had very good athletes but had poor support from the admininstration and community. I knew the HC back in early 2000's that was non-renewed due to his stand on leaving the CVC and entering the East Suburban (whatever it was called). They enjoyed being aligned with Chagrin Falls, Orange, Beachwood, etc. They could of cared less about the athletic teams. At the time, they were graduating approximately 50 kids with about half of them males. They offered soccer, golf, cross country. They bragged about all of the kids participating but never about success in any of those sports. Best thing to happen...........consolidation with West G.

Is this true? I just ran into a teacher former coach and he said they are still looking/taking applicants
They will probably wait until after the new year to announce it. Mentor did the same thing when they hired Matt Gray before Christmas 2019, but didn't make the announcement until January 2nd.

Rosati officially recommended for job. AD posted job 12/8, but Rosati contacting 8th graders since November to stay at WG (3-4 leaving). Looks like this hire made by Superintendent again. Look for Rosati to retire/rehire at WG. Superintendent is able to make that call. Staff should be interesting. Some of the coaches have been out of the game for a while. Solid hire though.

Matt Rosatti it is. I guess the rumor I shared a few weeks ago wasn’t so far fetched. I don’t think he wanted to be done coaching when he “left” Perry.

You were correct about his interest and West G moved quickly coming to an agreement 3 days later on 12/17 according to 2 independent sources with close ties to the program...despite what some others had posted here.
The "recommendation" is just a formality for the school board to approve the hire...which is a no brainer.

Well you couldn’t have been more wrong….lol…..I guess we will take your words with noth8ng more than a grain of salt moving forward.
Actually, it would be wise to take everything on this forum with grain of salt. Not the first time I made a wrong prediction, but I think I'm batting a solid .750 ☺️. The AD is in fact coaching girls BBall and did not make the hire. The 2 prior coaches also were not by the ADs at the time.

Also, the post right after this kind of explained that Dr. Markwardt made the hire. I guess it's easier to come on Yappi and point out bad predictions and such. Good for you. It took me exactly one phone call to get the particulars though. Rosati will double dip at WG. He was in fact trying to talk to 8th grade parents to try and keep their kids in district in November, before the job was posted on 12/8. Again, I will do better research next time as not to disappoint you. Thanks for adding to the forum...lol..I will be wrong again.

Auggie will be happy that 2 of the 8th graders are leaning Benny.