West Branch-Canfield ink new 2-year Week 1 contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Branch and Canfield have inked a new home-and-home two-year contract for Week 1, starting next season. For reasons unknown, the West Branch-Hubbard two-year Week 1 contract which was to start next season, fell through. Hence, Canfield and West Branch, which have played the past two seasons, signed a new two-year Week 1 pact. Next year's game will be in Beloit.

West Branch and Canfield have inked a new home-and-home two-year contract for Week 1, starting next season. For reasons unknown, the West Branch-Hubbard two-year Week 1 contract which was to start next season, fell through. Hence, Canfield and West Branch, which have played the past two seasons, signed a new two-year Week 1 pact. Next year's game will be in Beloit.
I am glad this series is continuing, I was disappointed when it ended 20-25 years ago. Hopefully, this series continues for the foreseable future. So far the every team that Canfield has on its schedule should be respectable next year with the obviois exception of Howland. I will be interested to see if they fill the bye week or leave week 8 open.

West Branch returns 20 of 22 starters next season and the speedy Jeremiah Thomas moves from wideout into the quarterback position. In my opinion, Thomas is the left-handed version of Dru DeShields. He's super fast and slippery outside the pocket.

Last edited:
This is a really good local match-up I'm glad to see it renewed. West Branch returns a lot and should be pretty good as usual. Canfield will be young but has a good amount of kids who played returning along with a very talented group of incoming sophomores.

I am glad this series is continuing, I was disappointed when it ended 20-25 years ago. Hopefully, this series continues for the foreseable future. So far the every team that Canfield has on its schedule should be respectable next year with the obviois exception of Howland. I will be interested to see if they fill the bye week or leave week 8 open.
Hoping Canfield has no injuries to use as performance qualifiers before the 2024 season starts.

Good to hear. These 2 teams have played many incredible , meaningful games over the years . Add in the proximity of the two schools and it should remain on the schedule indefinitely. Some people don’t realize how large the WB district is . I dated a girl in high school whose house was probably closer to Canfield high school than WB’s .

Excellent news. This has been a great game the last 2 years. WB has a passionate but not obnoxious fan base, and I enjoy the nice country drive out to Beloit.

Hubbard dropped it and is looking for a new game, im
Told it’s already in the works for them so both had a team they were gonna play instead

😂😂😂😂 Hubbard dropped the game against a good team. I’m sure they will schedule Cleveland John Adams instead.
They're looking for an easy win, not an automatic loss. Plus an extra home game.
If Greenville isn't available, perhaps Newton Falls will step to the plate.

Hubbard picked up Brookfield. Brookfield is opening up a new stadium and wanted to renew their old rivalry with Hubbard.
It used to be quite a decent rivalry in the past.
It's good they're finally moving from that pit they used to call home.
One of the worst stadiums I've ever been to. Absolute dungeon.

The worst stadium to play in! I believe that it needed ADA upgrades and instead of spending the money on that, they decided to build a new field on campus.

The worst stadium to play in! I believe that it needed ADA upgrades and instead of spending the money on that, they decided to build a new field on campus.
I remember reading something about that, in particular the ADA issues. If I recall, the stadium may have been condemned. This was several years ago about the conditions at Addison. Sure took them long enough.
Struthers' concrete stands were condemned and replaced rather quickly.
They were dragging feet in Brookfield though.

ADA is sheer stupidity
99% of the time it is a huge waste of money
Just use common sense and do what is best for the majority of the community or for the majority of the people.
This year alone the State of Ohio installed ADA ramps at 12 intersections that I know of with nothing but farms and corn fields in all directions and no other sidewalk for miles in any direction.

Oh, come on. I have some very fond memories of Addison Field! First off, my late mother taught at the adjacent Addison School (since torn down) for many years. And I remember going to games at Addison Field during Brookfield’s 1978 AA Championship season. Became a fan of Marcus Marek (four year starter at LB at Ohio State, and with the Breakers in the USFL) while watching him play in HS at Addison Field.

(But yes, the stadium had issues. It was even worse back then in the late 70’s.)

Oh, come on. I have some very fond memories of Addison Field! First off, my late mother taught at the adjacent Addison School (since torn down) for many years. And I remember going to games at Addison Field during Brookfield’s 1978 AA Championship season. Became a fan of Marcus Marek (four year starter at LB at Ohio State, and with the Breakers in the USFL) while watching him play in HS at Addison Field.

(But yes, the stadium had issues. It was even worse back then in the late 70’s.)
All time leading tackler for the Buckeyes, too. Would be a tough OSU trivia question to answer!

A good friend and I went down to Dayton to watch that final. Thet had a fabulous team and Marek was an unbelievable player.
Think it was Badin they beat.

Here's the article regarding the problems at Addison:

Here's the article regarding the problems at Addison:

This was a few years ago actually. They got it up to code since then but it was really just jury rigging it and delaying the inevitable

A good friend and I went down to Dayton to watch that final. Thet had a fabulous team and Marek was an unbelievable player.
Think it was Badin they beat.
I was in 7th grade at the time (at St. Pat’s in Hubbard). But like I mentioned, my mom was a teacher in the Brookfield School District at Addison School.

I attended the state semi-final game, which IIRC was at Finnie Stadium (BW) in Berea. (Which of course back then, it was only the state semi-final and state final in the playoffs). And I had the opportunity to go to Dayton for the State Final (travel with a relative) but due to the distance and the cold, I chose not to go. (Still regret that decision).

I was in 7th grade at the time (at St. Pat’s in Hubbard). But like I mentioned, my mom was a teacher in the Brookfield School District at Addison School.

I attended the state semi-final game, which IIRC was at Finnie Stadium (BW) in Berea. (Which of course back then, it was only the state semi-final and state final in the playoffs). And I had the opportunity to go to Dayton for the State Final (travel with a relative) but due to the distance and the cold, I chose not to go. (Still regret that decision).
Speed limits were down back then. Seemed like almost 4 hours to get there.
It was cold that day, but nothing like some of the games mentioned here.
I'm glad I was there to see it. You sure did miss a once in a lifetime achievement.
1978 was also the year our girls' basketball team won state in Columbus.
Aside from the horrendous blizzard early in the year, it was magical for both Brookfield and Struthers.
I headed out early that day to Maryland and surprisingly outran it. People still talk about that blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.