West Branch (8-1) at Salem (1-8)

This will be the 52nd all-time meeting between arch-rivals West Branch and Salem. West Branch leads the series, 29-22. The Warriors have won three straight in the series, including a hard-earned 48-38 win in last year's game. This is the first time the game has been played on Friday night instead of Saturday evening in quite some time. Thoughts on this year's contest?

This will be the 52nd all-time meeting between arch-rivals West Branch and Salem. West Branch leads the series, 29-22. The Warriors have won three straight in the series, including a hard-earned 48-38 win in last year's game. This is the first time the game has been played on Friday night instead of Saturday evening in quite some time. Thoughts on this year's contest?
Running clock to start the 2nd half

I wouldn't be suprised if our sophmore QB gets more reps in this one to add a extra wrinkle to those teams that are scouting. He adds a complete diffrent element when he is taking the snaps.
The strong WB quarterback tradition will continue with that young man next season. He reminds me a little bit of DeShields from a running aspect. He has tremendous speed and is slippery. He's great athlete, and with the offense they run and all those receivers coming back, he'll throw for a bundle as well. Love how they use him in the Wildcat package this year.

The strong WB quarterback tradition will continue with that young man next season. He reminds me a little bit of DeShields from a running aspect. He has tremendous speed and is slippery. He's great athlete, and with the offense they run and all those receivers coming back, he'll throw for a bundle as well. Love how they use him in the Wildcat package this year.
I heard from a coach that this years juniors may be their best class

Anyone have a favorite game from this rivalry they want to revisit?
1986. The Quakers upset an undefeated WB team the previous year and the Warriors entered week 10 undefeated again . The intensity prior to during and after the game was at an all time high in what was already one of the most bitter rivalries in high school football. WB took this one 21-0 and made their 1st playoff appearance. Although there was ugliness on and off the field, it still ranks number one in my mind.

1986. The Quakers upset an undefeated WB team the previous year and the Warriors entered week 10 undefeated again . The intensity prior to during and after the game was at an all time high in what was already one of the most bitter rivalries in high school football. WB took this one 21-0 and made their 1st playoff appearance. Although there was ugliness on and off the field, it still ranks number one in my mind.
That was the end of the Warrior-Sam Trophy and the series was canceled for six years after that. The series resumed in 1993.

It bums me out that this game is no longer on a Saturday. I loved when this was the only show in town on a Saturday night especially when the season started later and lined up right around halloween weekend. It had one of the best atmospheres in the area. Too bad that won't be the case this year. It also doesn't help that Salem fell of a cliff with the graduation of their QB.

My dad played on both of those Salem teams. I feel like I've heard stories about those games a million times.

My dad played on both of those Salem teams. I feel like I've heard stories about those games a million times.
Lol, yeah can imagine. I know I’ve told it a bunch and I was just a fan. The atmosphere the entire week was something else . WB had two 9-1 seasons in ‘84 and ‘85. Frustrating 7-6 loss to Lake the year prior to being upset by Salem. The ‘86 win over the Quakers took the sting out of those 2 games and gave them their first undefeated season ever.

The 1973 Salem-West Branch game played in a monsoon in then West Branch Stadium (now Clinton Heacock Stadium) was a classic. West Branch won 7-6 on a 73-yard punt return by Doug Blasiman and clutch snap, hold and PAT kick by Jim Stitle through a driving rain. “What can you say, just a super run and kick,” said then West Branch head coach Dick Hartzell in an article in the Alliance Review. “The return was exactly what we needed because our offense just couldn’t get untracked between the muddy field and their defense. Stitle showed real poise under pressure in making the point after, but don’t forget the snap of a wet ball by Mike Brown who did a great job on punts all night long, and the hold by Jerry Buell.”
West Branch finished 9-1 that season and the Warriors' All-Ohio quarterback, Mark Rohaley, was chosen to QB Ohio in the Big 33 game against Pennsylvania and some guy from Ringgold (Pa.) High School named Joe Montana.

The 1973 Salem-West Branch game played in a monsoon in then West Branch Stadium (now Clinton Heacock Stadium) was a classic. West Branch won 7-6 on a 73-yard punt return by Doug Blasiman and clutch snap, hold and PAT kick by Jim Stitle through a driving rain. “What can you say, just a super run and kick,” said then West Branch head coach Dick Hartzell in an article in the Alliance Review. “The return was exactly what we needed because our offense just couldn’t get untracked between the muddy field and their defense. Stitle showed real poise under pressure in making the point after, but don’t forget the snap of a wet ball by Mike Brown who did a great job on punts all night long, and the hold by Jerry Buell.”
West Branch finished 9-1 that season and the Warriors' All-Ohio quarterback, Mark Rohaley, was chosen to QB Ohio in the Big 33 game against Pennsylvania and some guy from Ringgold (Pa.) High School named Joe Montana.
I believe Roger Bettis from Minerva was also a QB in that game who went to to play at Michigan.

I heard stories from a friend that a game in mid 70s with Common as the wb qb was a real doozy that resulted in a wb win and bench clearing brawl at Salem. I also heard that game was early in the year and wb usually lost the next week.

Well hopefully Salem starts a massive, no stone unturned coaching search. Thank you seniors, you gave your best effort I truly believe that. But you can’t run a program around 1 kid and not develop anymore else. And I’m not taking a shot at the kid. More so The Boss Man

Well hopefully Salem starts a massive, no stone unturned coaching search. Thank you seniors, you gave your best effort I truly believe that. But you can’t run a program around 1 kid and not develop anymore else. And I’m not taking a shot at the kid. More so The Boss Man
D'Andre Smith , my nephew, thanks for always giving your all to the Quakers!