Welcome to Perfect City, U.S.A.

Sounds like you all are pretty obsessed with yourselves.

Congrats on being the master of the universe. I believe we've found the answer to the age old question...the Sun actually revolves around Southlake, Texas.

Who knew? Apparently only the people in Southlake, because they're the only ones who care about their "perfect" little city.

OH-

IO!

A little rich for my blood

Southlake is nice but a little rich for my blood. I live down and over a few hills east going towards Shreveport. I just went to Wal-Mart to pick up my wife's prescription and I look up and see a guy,
1 - In some funky looking brown shorts that was almost up to his rear
2- Had a pair of knee high cowboy boots on
3- Had a blue t shirt with the words "Who's your Daddy"
I ran out to the car to get my camera (my wife would have never believed it)
Believe me when I tell you, I was not in Southlake.

Sounds like you all are pretty obsessed with yourselves.

Congrats on being the master of the universe. I believe we've found the answer to the age old question...the Sun actually revolves around Southlake, Texas.

Who knew? Apparently only the people in Southlake, because they're the only ones who care about their "perfect" little city.

OH-

IO!

Sheesh. You take offense easily.

RidgePride isn't from Southlake. He didn't write the article and neither did anybody else from Southlake.

Southlake is a terrific place because the people work hard. They have very strong families (generally speaking) and they get involved.

It would be less distastful if you would just say "congratulations, well done".

I found the article very self-serving and boring and focused too much on a football team

if you are from dallas enjoy it

if you are from a real city in a real state, laugh at the self-serving article

in the article in the first 11 paragraphs, there is a reference to football in 10 of them
the one that didnt was a one sentence paragraph talking girls volleyball

YAWN

WE LOVE OURSELVES

gee, we never knew that reading Daditis' posts all these years

Not completely irrelevant...but which schools do the grads go to the most often?

I know SLC has kids going to colleges nationwide. My daughter is going to a very good school in the west (which I won't mention). She has close friends going to Pepperdine, BYU and Purdue. Most people who live in Southlake are not native Texans so I'd guess that many kids go to schools connected with their parents but still a large number stay in Texas.

At the commencement they said 97% were going to college somewhere.

I found the article very self-serving and boring and focused too much on a football team

if you are from dallas enjoy it

if you are from a real city in a real state, laugh at the self-serving article

in the article in the first 11 paragraphs, there is a reference to football in 10 of them
the one that didnt was a one sentence paragraph talking girls volleyball

YAWN

WE LOVE OURSELVES

gee, we never knew that reading Daditis' posts all these years

Since the article was not written by anybody from Southlake nor was it published in Southlake, I'm wondering how it can be called "self" serving?

The entire article centered around the football team. That's understandable considering the success they have had.

I know SLC has kids going to colleges nationwide. My daughter is going to a very good school in the west (which I won't mention). She has close friends going to Pepperdine, BYU and Purdue. Most people who live in Southlake are not native Texans so I'd guess that many kids go to schools connected with their parents but still a large number stay in Texas.

At the commencement they said 97% were going to college somewhere.

That might be why I've never seen anyone from Southlake...been in College Station for a bit over a year and have yet to meet one person/talk smack with.

Not completely irrelevant...but which schools do the grads go to the most often?

The State of Texas 10% rule forces many of the kids to go out of state or private schools. If Southlake has a graduating class of 500 kids, only 50 have automatic acceptance to Texas or A&M (although the many of the cream in the top 25% might get in). Many of these 50 kids are going elsewhere based on their grades and SAT/ACT scores. Quite honestly I do not see A&M as the university of choice for most of the SLC kids. That may be why you don't run into them in College Station.

How does automatic acceptance work?

It sounds like it's actually automatic rejection for the other 450 kids the way you describe it.

It sounds like it's actually automatic rejection for the other 450 kids the way you describe it.

Pretty much. Most do not like it at all and are trying to alter it. Here is a quote from a somewhiat recent article on the subject:

UT has sought limits for the past few years, arguing that too large a portion of its undergraduate enrollment is being determined by a single factor, squeezing out students with leadership skills, musical talent and other qualities who don't happen to rank high.

The university's fall 2006 freshman class had a larger portion, 71 percent, of students from Texas high schools admitted under the law than any previous class. That worked out to 66 percent of all UT freshmen. The automatic-admission law does not apply to students from other states.

UT is the only school among 35 public colleges and universities that sought relief from the 1997 law. But

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/05/28/28top10.html

Since the article was not written by anybody from Southlake nor was it published in Southlake, I'm wondering how it can be called "self" serving?

The entire article centered around the football team. That's understandable considering the success they have had.

how does winning high school football games make a city perfect???

this is hooveritis all over.

how does winning high school football games make a city perfect???

this is hooveritis all over.

It doesn't. Southlake is an incredible place to live for all the right reasons. It's just icing on the cake to have a great football team. It's a very nice community uniter.

It doesn't. Southlake is an incredible place to live for all the right reasons. It's just icing on the cake to have a great football team. It's a very nice community uniter.

but as you said, the article was all about a high school football team

and the title said perfect city USA

sorry I dont equate a few years of high school football (let alone a 12 year streak like DLS) to be what makes a community good, much less perfect

the article and title dont match

and neither does your attempt to rectify the two

high school football does not make a city perfect

and never will

unless you live in texas i guess

and I pity that point of view

hooveritis

That might be why I've never seen anyone from Southlake...been in College Station for a bit over a year and have yet to meet one person/talk smack with.

Two years ago I was up at Grand Targhee National Park (on the Idaho side)at a baloon race. A guy honked and waved when he saw the SLC decal in my back window.

Same thing happened in a Sam's Club parking lot on vacation last summer although this guy wasn't from Southlake (Plano East) but he noticed the decal.

When you drive around in Southlake everybody seems to have the Dragon logo on their back window. http://media.pegasusnews.com/img/photos/2006/11/22/slcarrolllogo2.jpg

but as you said, the article was all about a high school football team

and the title said perfect city USA

sorry I dont equate a few years of high school football (let alone a 12 year streak like DLS) to be what makes a community good, much less perfect

the article and title dont match

and neither does your attempt to rectify the two

high school football does not make a city perfect

and never will

unless you live in texas i guess

and I pity that point of view

hooveritis

I'm not sure what you are arguing about. As I said, Southlake is an incredible place to live for all the right reasons.

I'm not sure what you are arguing about. As I said, Southlake is an incredible place to live for all the right reasons.

the article was all about all about a (excellent) high school football team

an excellent high school football team DOES NOT make a city or a community good or great (much less perfect)

the article is just a fluff article about the football team'

YAWN

Texas Legislature enacted a law maybe 10 years ago that said any student that graduated in the top 10 percent of their class could attend any public college in Texas. The intent was to be politically correct and increase the diversity in the universities by making acceptance easier for the top students from inner city and rural communities.

Great in concept, but it does not work in reality. A negative side note to the law is that excludes many of the top 10% of the brightest students from our top public academic institution - The University of Texas and the junior varsity university in College Station. I suspect the top 25% of the 2007 graduating class at SLC are in the top 10% of the state's brightest minds. Because of the law, they may be denied access to The University of Texas due to enrollment limitations.

The issue mentioned in the fall 2006 class was caused mainly due to the football team winning the national championship in one of the greatest games of all time. Everyone wanted to be part of a winner.

the article was all about all about a (excellent) high school football team

an excellent high school football team DOES NOT make a city or a community good or great (much less perfect)

the article is just a fluff article about the football team'

YAWN

Why don't you check the city out yourself. I don't think a high school football team makes a city, but it sure does helps define how a city feels about itself. You feel good about DLS because of its football team. I doubt you became a "t-shirt fan" of the school until they started the streak.

I live 200 miles from SLC and admire how the city has developed and its community spirit. Is it a perfect city - no. Does it have more good things going for it than most communities - yes. Southlake is a community of driven successful families. Every fall that is evident on the football field. But don't worry the school is not one a one dimensional sport school in football. They won district in almost every sport.

Why don't you check the city out yourself. I don't think a high school football team makes a city, but it sure does helps define how a city feels about itself. You feel good about DLS because of its football team. I doubt you became a "t-shirt fan" of the school until they started the streak.

I live 200 miles from SLC and admire how the city has developed and its community spirit. Is it a perfect city - no. Does it have more good things going for it than most communities - yes. Southlake is a community of driven successful families. Every fall that is evident on the football field. But don't worry the school is not one a one dimensional sport school in football. They won district in almost every sport.

a high school football team DOES NOT define in a million years how a city feels about itself

if it does, I really can only laugh at my texas brethren

a fluff article on a football team does not equate to "perfect city"

I doubt you became a "t-shirt fan" of the school until they started the streak.

WRONG

I moved from San Jose, the 11th largest city in the USA in 1985 to the SF East Bay (about 45 miles) for a new job

San Jose was home to mythical football state champions Bellarmine in 1981 and St. Francis in 1982 (Ok St. Francis is a few cities - maybe 10 miles north of San Jose). I saw both those teams play.

In 1985, right after I moved to Dublin, Bellarmine played some school I had never heard of = De La Salle a school within 15-17 miles of my new residence

Bellarmine was crushed 37-14

They continued to play Bellarmine and added State power St. Francis, basically beating these teams year in and year out

I was shocked and could not understand it, knowing the quality of those two CCS powers

I started being an admirer of DLS in 1985

that is well before the streak

I wish you would stop your continual WRONG assumptions

Texas Legislature enacted a law maybe 10 years ago that said any student that graduated in the top 10 percent of their class could attend any public college in Texas. The intent was to be politically correct and increase the diversity in the universities by making acceptance easier for the top students from inner city and rural communities.

Great in concept, but it does not work in reality. A negative side note to the law is that excludes many of the top 10% of the brightest students from our top public academic institution - The University of Texas and the junior varsity university in College Station. I suspect the top 25% of the 2007 graduating class at SLC are in the top 10% of the state's brightest minds. Because of the law, they may be denied access to The University of Texas due to enrollment limitations.

The issue mentioned in the fall 2006 class was caused mainly due to the football team winning the national championship in one of the greatest games of all time. Everyone wanted to be part of a winner.

Blinn? :D :D

They won district in almost every sport.

De La Salle has twice won the California Division 1 Basketball championship this decade

this against the best high school basketball teams in the country

there record in section championship and league championships I am sure measure quite nicely to SLC

"When you drive around in Southlake everybody seems to have the Dragon logo on their back window."

If you put them all there late one night it doesn't count.