Week 9...

cincysports4

Tournament Draw is Sunday. Teams are looking to clinch up leagues, and battle for seeding. Some great games this week. Seton has GGCL locked up. Springboro/Centerville Wednesday is for the GWOC title and probably the #1 seed in Dayton.

Monday:
Taylor at CCD
Loveland at Badin
SUA at MND
Mercy McAuley at Seton

Tuesday:
Mason at East
Bellbrook at Monroe
Milford at West Clermont

Wednesday:
Springboro at Centerville
Wyoming at Indian Hill

Thursday:
Seton at Milford
Fairfield at Oak Hills
Kings at Loveland

Saturday:
Centerville at Seton
Mariemont at McNicholas
Madeira at Turpin
MND at West
Anderson at East
Fairfield at Milford

Tournament Draw is Sunday. Teams are looking to clinch up leagues, and battle for seeding. Some great games this week. Seton has GGCL locked up. Springboro/Centerville Wednesday is for the GWOC title and probably the #1 seed in Dayton.
Is the voting period similar to the volleyball timeframe of Thursday thru Saturday this week?

Do the AD's or head coaches vote?

Is the voting period similar to the volleyball timeframe of Thursday thru Saturday this week?

Do the AD's or head coaches vote?

Same as volleyball it appears. Coaches comments due Wednesday. Voting is Wednesday until Saturday at noon.

Coaches vote (If I'm not mistaken the lowest and highest votes are dropped, but I could be wrong)

Same as volleyball it appears. Coaches comments due Wednesday. Voting is Wednesday until Saturday at noon.

Coaches vote (If I'm not mistaken the lowest and highest votes are dropped, but I could be wrong)
Yes, this is the process. You are correct, lowest and highest vote are dropped. All others are added together to get a total.

Teams will then meet up on Sunday afternoon for the tournament draw.

Yesterday from Lower.Com Field

Canfield 5
St Marys 0

Can someone elaborate on the draw process? Benefit of being higher seed?
Top seed and in descending order puts their name on their bracket first. Second seed goes next. They likely go on the other side of the bracket or a different bracket if there are such in their division. Thus the top seeds avoid meeting until all else are eliminated. The bottom seeds have no choice but to put their name opposite the top seeds, as those are the only slots left.

Top seed and in descending order puts their name on their bracket first. Second seed goes next. They likely go on the other side of the bracket or a different bracket if there are such in their division. Thus the top seeds avoid meeting until all else are eliminated. The bottom seeds have no choice but to put their name opposite the top seeds, as those are the only slots left.
Please forgive my ignorance here but if you are the #2 seed and you like your chances of playing #1 instead of #3 or #4 to get to the region finals, you can choose that path?

If that is the case, what's the advantage of being #1

Please forgive my ignorance here but if you are the #2 seed and you like your chances of playing #1 instead of #3 or #4 to get to the region finals, you can choose that path?

If that is the case, what's the advantage of being #1
Yes, they could choose this path if they wanted to. If #2 and #3 and #4 all decided they wanted to be in the same section as #1 they absolutely could do that, there is nothing in the rules stopping them from doing it.

I get your question as far as asking what the advantage is, but this situation would never happen. Look back at the past brackets listed online, rarely if every does a seed lower than #5 ever end up in the same section as the #1 seed.

Also, the top seeds typically know where the other is going to go as far as Cincy/Dayton go. That way you do not end up with the #1 Dayton v #1 Cincy in a District Final.

Yes, they could choose this path if they wanted to. If #2 and #3 and #4 all decided they wanted to be in the same section as #1 they absolutely could do that, there is nothing in the rules stopping them from doing it.

I get your question as far as asking what the advantage is, but this situation would never happen. Look back at the past brackets listed online, rarely if every does a seed lower than #5 ever end up in the same section as the #1 seed.

Also, the top seeds typically know where the other is going to go as far as Cincy/Dayton go. That way you do not end up with the #1 Dayton v #1 Cincy in a District Final.
Thanks for the response makes sense and I agree the top 4 seeds would want to defer meeting each other until the Region Semi's

Sorry to be a little dense here but what I was referring to is if #1 chooses a region and #2 looks at the top 3 seeds and would rather play #1 in the semi-regionals vs having to play #3 - could # 2 then choose the path of meeting #1 in the semi's vs the other 2 top seeds.

If that is the case, what advantage (other than home field the first couple matches which shouldn't be hard) is choosing first getting you? Outside the first couple matches, you really don't have home field advantage

Not sure what you're getting at, but maybe this well help.

As an example in the SW District Girls D-2 team assignments, the 13 teams in the Dayton central division are listed. They are paired as six in one sectional and 7 in the second. Based on where things stand currently, Waynesville is likely the top seed and Bellbrook the second seed. On the brackets, they would lead that bracket opposite each other...and the other schools, based on their seed would then place their name in the bracket where they thing they have the best chance to advance. A school cannot jump outside of their divisioning placement. The teams at the top will next look at where the winner of that sectional will next advance in districts. They don't play each other next. By looking at the OHSAA brackets one will find out who they would play next. If its the Dayton North division not showing Tipp City (the likely top seed up north) then that's the sectional of the two offered they would place their name. If it's a Cincinnati district matchup next, they would guess where the likely top Cincy team (Likely Summit) would place their name. So to avoid them earlier in the tournament, Waynesville would likely go in the sectional where they avoid that. I am too lazy to look up where the next matchup would likely go...but I hope you get my drift. You can't jump out of the group that your school is assigned on the above chart. Hope that answers your question.

Depending on the region, it's also possible for districts to fall into different regions. For example, the Northeast district often has 5 districts in total, meaning that one the districts falls into a different region (Northwest, I think). That's usually the prime district for the #1 seed to choose, as it means avoiding having to play an area rival until the state semis or finals. Ignatius and Medina often end up avoiding each other in boys Division 1 that way.

Ottawa Glandorf captures WBL title with 3-0 win over Shawnee

Thanks for the response makes sense and I agree the top 4 seeds would want to defer meeting each other until the Region Semi's

Sorry to be a little dense here but what I was referring to is if #1 chooses a region and #2 looks at the top 3 seeds and would rather play #1 in the semi-regionals vs having to play #3 - could # 2 then choose the path of meeting #1 in the semi's vs the other 2 top seeds.

If that is the case, what advantage (other than home field the first couple matches which shouldn't be hard) is choosing first getting you? Outside the first couple matches, you really don't have home field advantage

The advantage for the number 1 seed is having two easy or easier games prior to the third neutral site match. If the number 1 seed does not take a bye and chooses to play the first round, they usually would play the two worst seeds.

But if using iluvsnow's d2 central example. If #2 Bellbrook wanted to play Waynesville, it would likely be a home game for Waynesville as they could take the lower portion of the bracket and so they end up playing a North team. (central 2 does not have a bye so to play Waynesville, Bellbrook would have to play them in the second game).

If Waynesville went Central 1, the third game would be a neutral site game and could be advantageous to Bellbrook if they could win as Waynesville will want to take the easiest path to Regionals.

Have to pull up brackets for some of this to make sense

Milford 3 / Seton 3

With Oak Hills Shut out win Vs. Seton and Milford’s tie, but Milford beat Oak Hills, MND tying Milford and splitting with Seton. Milford has to be the #1 seed being undefeated. But who to make #2.

Milford 3 / Seton 3

With Oak Hills Shut out win Vs. Seton and Milford’s tie, but Milford beat Oak Hills, MND tying Milford and splitting with Seton. Milford has to be the #1 seed being undefeated. But who to make #2.
Obviously biased. But I think looking at the resumes - I think OH is 2. Has the head to head vs seton. And only losses are to the likely 1 seeds from Cincinnati and Dayton (milford / Cville). Seton got a draw vs a common opponent that OH lost to. (Milford ) but oak hills has a win vs a common opponent that Seton tied (Mason). OH Also took a draw vs another state ranked team (Boro). Never know though.

Milford 3 / Seton 3

EC- Did you go to the game, if so how did it play out?

Obviously biased. But I think looking at the resumes - I think OH is 2. Has the head to head vs seton. And only losses are to the likely 1 seeds from Cincinnati and Dayton (milford / Cville). Seton got a draw vs a common opponent that OH lost to. (Milford ) but oak hills has a win vs a common opponent that Seton tied (Mason). OH Also took a draw vs another state ranked team (Boro). Never know though.
How has the GMC girls sports coaches typically vote? Is it similar to the boys (football & basketball especially) where they vote early and often for GMC schools and vote the GCL as low as they can or do they tame their bias' and try to vote true to what they think?

Have watched every Mason game this season. Has there ever been a shakier 1 loss team? Honestly, it's been tough to watch. The record looks good, but cannot score. Wasting the best defense in the area due to not having any goal scorers. Take the last 2 games for example. Beat East and Sycamore both 1-0 and neither of those teams are any good. Don't believe either team had a shot on goal, yet Mason couldn't score until the last 10 minutes and both goals were the result of scrums in front of goal.

Based on what I have seen, I think Oak Hills is the best team Mason has played. Seton is 2nd. Still have to play MND next week. Played both Milford and Centerville in preseason scrimmages, but tough to rate an opponent based on a scrimmage. Both obviously very good. Upper Arlington was also very good, Mason did not deserve to win that game.