Week 9: St. Ignatius

In week 5 with the QB controversy on and WH still looking over his shoulder he threw a costly INT and fumbled twice in the improbable loss to Moeller 19-14

At the Pit WH threw 3 costly interceptions that not only killed X drives but were returned for Elder scores essentially resulting in a 42 point swing in a 51-26 loss.

At this point coaches and players alike are frustrated, their is finger pointing and name calling which preceded a coming to Jesus moment.

In the next 2 games vs LaSalle and Clarkson North the offense and defense have been at their best to even their record at 4-4 entering Week 9 vs Iggy.

WH has had his 2 best games of the year in terms of QB rating (292 and 191).

These past 2 weeks after the Elder debacle I've noticed a considerable difference in the way the players interact on the sidelines, in the huddle, in between plays and at practice

Did the change come soon enough to salvage the season? Possibly.
The talent is definitely there but can the egos be put aside for 7 more weeks to reach the team goal?

I think WH is the first StX baseball scholarship pitcher who is playing QB part time
As I mentioned in previous threads StX has a long line of QBs who were also successful on the mound springtime only.

Consider the top 5 QBs in StX history

1. Marty Mooney Jr. (1999-2001) played QB at Yale and Notre Dame played baseball for StX in the spring as a pitcher

2. Greg Frey (1983-1985) played QB at Ohio State. He pitched for the Bombers and did play summer baseball his junior year before concentrating on football

3. Nick Tensing (2012-2013) was preferred walk on at Ohio State for football. Pitched baseball for StX in the spring.

4. Chase Wolf currently QB at Wisconsin was a QB 75% of the year in high school playing basketball in the winter (what Wolf didn’t)

5. Sean Clifford was football only at StX and is currently playing QB at Penn State

Further analysis of the Harbin situation suggests this may not be a must win game, that StX needs to finish 5-5 (win over either Ignatius or LSX) to get the 8th seed.

I'd just as soon consider this a must win game and gain momentum and confidence heading into Week 10 and the playoffs.

If the remainder of the season gives WH an overall positive experience the off season could be interesting with plenty of questions to be considered.

Does University of Kentucky ask that he forego his senior year of football?
Or do they offer him the option of also playing QB at Kentucky as WH was talking about as a 14 year old kid?

Is the experience of playing QB in front of crowds up to 10,000 in number (vs crowds of less than 100 in baseball) such an adrenaline rush that he would tell UK to pound sand if they suggested he hang up the football cleats?

Would the desire to perform even better in front of the large football crowds and excitement of chasing a state title his senior year drive WH to work harder in the off season at being a better QB than pitcher?

4 Key Changes in the past few weeks to change the course of the season

1. OLine changes at center and right guard trading size for toughness

2. Elimination of QB controversy, naming Hudepohl the starter, giving him majority of practice snaps during the week with no threat of getting pulled from game if mistakes made as happened Week 4 vs Cathedral.

3. Gradual increase in number of defensive players....first 4 weeks was almost strictly starting 11 (Arthur, Kiessling, Stockman, Ferguson, Hundley, Dolle, Potts, Taylor, Bridges, MacDonald and Rabe) but have added Krumdieck, Klas, Glines, Carter and O'Malley to the mix. The overall defense is slightly undersized and that coupled with early season special teams gaffes and offensive turnovers was on the field too much and gassed by second half.

4. Stockman role flip from full-time defense and part-time offense to full-time offense and part-time defense

Consider that the Bombers have led at halftime in all 8 games this season
X 20 Lakota West 0
X 6 Colerain 0
X 21 Walnut Hills 7
X 6 Cathedral 0
X 7 Moeller 0
X 14 Elder 10
X 28 LaSalle 7
X 31 Clarkson North 7

Cumulative Halftime Score
X 133 Opponents 31

Scoring By Quarter
X 67 66 61 27
Opp 14 17 54 51

Further analysis of the Harbin situation suggests this may not be a must win game, that StX needs to finish 5-5 (win over either Ignatius or LSX) to get the 8th seed.

I'd just as soon consider this a must win game and gain momentum and confidence heading into Week 10 and the playoffs.

If the remainder of the season gives WH an overall positive experience the off season could be interesting with plenty of questions to be considered.

Does University of Kentucky ask that he forego his senior year of football?
Or do they offer him the option of also playing QB at Kentucky as WH was talking about as a 14 year old kid?

Is the experience of playing QB in front of crowds up to 10,000 in number (vs crowds of less than 100 in baseball) such an adrenaline rush that he would tell UK to pound sand if they suggested he hang up the football cleats?

Would the desire to perform even better in front of the large football crowds and excitement of chasing a state title his senior year drive WH to work harder in the off season at being a better QB than pitcher?

They are both must wins (at least in my mind). At the very least, and if for no other reason, I don't want to play Colerain at Colerain. Frankly, don't really want to play Colerain at Mason. I would much rather play them at Hamilton.

4 Key Changes in the past few weeks to change the course of the season

1. OLine changes at center and right guard trading size for toughness

2. Elimination of QB controversy, naming Hudepohl the starter, giving him majority of practice snaps during the week with no threat of getting pulled from game if mistakes made as happened Week 4 vs Cathedral.

3. Gradual increase in number of defensive players....first 4 weeks was almost strictly starting 11 (Arthur, Kiessling, Stockman, Ferguson, Hundley, Dolle, Potts, Taylor, Bridges, MacDonald and Rabe) but have added Krumdieck, Klas, Glines, Carter and O'Malley to the mix. The overall defense is slightly undersized and that coupled with early season special teams gaffes and offensive turnovers was on the field too much and gassed by second half.

4. Stockman role flip from full-time defense and part-time offense to full-time offense and part-time defense

The biggest change I have seen is the offensive philosophy moving from throw first to run first, and taking advantage of the ferocity of Payne's running style. Most of the passing plays against LS and Clarkson were quick hits with one or maybe 2 reads, not forcing WH to go through progressions, which matches his experience level a bit better. This has kept the defense off of the field a little more, though they can be torched over the top if they are not getting pressure to the QB.

I've also noticed that there is a bit more urgency and passion being displayed by the offense, especially the O-line. They are starting to get a bit more mean, and are finishing blocks better. St I is a bit of a different animal to play against, but X looks like a completely different team than the one that didn't show up against Moeller and Elder.

Consider that the Bombers have led at halftime in all 8 games this season
X 20 Lakota West 0
X 6 Colerain 0
X 21 Walnut Hills 7
X 6 Cathedral 0
X 7 Moeller 0
X 14 Elder 10
X 28 LaSalle 7
X 31 Clarkson North 7

Cumulative Halftime Score
X 133 Opponents 31

Scoring By Quarter
X 67 66 61 27
Opp 14 17 54 51

X 13-10 at half
It’s deja vu

3 turnovers, 2 picks and a fumble have StI short fields and their 10 points.
They are big up front on both sides
Hopefully defense not too worn down

Yes!
Perfectly positioned to finish 5-5, grab the 8th seed, ruin Colerain's party week 11 and grab a state title

GO X!!!

Yea, I am disappointed with the outcome. However, I feel they will come out of the game with a better feel for their strengths and weaknesses. I hope they recognize that have the ability to hang with any team.

Why we did we abandon the run so early in this game? Tactical mistake. Defense looked gassed on that last offensive series I's ran where they ran to the victory.

Yea, I am disappointed with the outcome. However, I feel they will come out of the game with a better feel for their strengths and weaknesses. I hope they recognize that have the ability to hang with any team.

They can beat anyone on any given day
Including themselves :laugh:

Remember when elder scored 100 points on them in the 3q? Lol.

Leave it to you to ask the obvious question containing an indisputable statistic.
Here’s 2 questions that share the same answer.
When was Elder football relevant to a Region 4 discussion and when has St. Ignatius lost to an opponent who committed 5 or more turnovers?

Seems like at half time teams adjust vs X. Realize hard to run but susceptible to the deep pass and go after the long ball. Vs X offense force the QB into decision making scenarios by doubling Kreimer.

Also surprised by decision not to run out clock last minute of 1st half. 1st down pass incomplete, run it twice and shorten the game, especially when getting the ball to start 2nd half. Presuming running a couple of minutes off tehe clock in the 1st drive of 2nd half, It is then a 14 minute game with St. I still at 3 points. Our guy shouldn't fumble, but if X runs there is also the elimination of the potential clock stoppage if the 2nd pass incomplete. My seats are on the aisle and St.I coaches were walking down from the press box with 1 minute left expecting X to run the clock out.

The injury to Stockman in the first half made the double teams on Kreimer more possible. Hope he can play this Friday.

The OLine did a fantastic job of protecting Hudepohl.
They didn't allow a single sack by a usually disruptive Iggy D.
WH needs to make better decisions on when to throw the ball away and when to tuck and run.

The injury to Stockman in the first half made the double teams on Kreimer more possible. Hope he can play this Friday.

The OLine did a fantastic job of protecting Hudepohl.
They didn't allow a single sack by a usually disruptive Iggy D.
WH needs to make better decisions on when to throw the ball away and when to tuck and run.

WH was in a boot after the Football North game, I think his leg was gimpy and that may have been why he was reluctant to run. If you notice he didnt pull the ball on the read options this week. He could have picked up several 1st downs with his legs but chose not to run. I am wondering if it was due to injury??? he definitely needs to make better decisions around throwing the ball away. That first interception was just bad!!! Hind sight is always 20/20 but up 10 with 1:05 left in the half and going into the wind, getting the ball after halftime and at home. Just run the clock out please dont be a hero.

This was another loss to hang on the coaching staff, especially whomever is calling the offensive plays and making that scheme. It seems like if they make one or two plays in the passing game, then that is what X will go with the rest of the game. It is maddening to see them revert to this after having success on the ground the past two weeks. And who the hell calls two flea-flickers in the same game? On the first, the WR on the opposite side had his man by 5 yards, but WH was locked into Kreimer, who luckily got the PI call.

I noticed the ST. I coaches headed down right before half as well, looking very unhappy. I understand you want to add on and get a little more momentum going into the half there, but geez.

The only game I have seen this team give up on was at Elder after the disaster of a third quarter, but the defense just gets flat out tired after a while, and they can be had over the top on a regular basis. Was nice to see the team trying to rally Dolle after the long TD, but I think he needs some safety help on a regular basis at this point. ST. I was running away from Kiessling on a regular basis, but no adjustment seemed to be getting made on that either.

As much as I love what Coach Specht has done from the program, this year has been really suspect. The coaching staff just does not seem to be putting the team in a position to succeed regularly.

Seems like all of us agree. 5 losses with 5 leads at half is tough to swallow. Good point on Stockman, he was pulled for concussion protocol. He is also the safety in dime package.

Newman looked healthy and Payne was really tough, would love to see a steady pounding of those two this Friday.

Maybe move Kiessling around a bit in 2nd half when teams go away from him. I did see one zone blitz in 2nd Q where he dropped into coverage and two LBs came, almost was pick between Potts and Kiessling.

Also agree w/ 2020Dad on Wyatt in boot and perhaps hurting ability to run.

This was another loss to hang on the coaching staff, especially whomever is calling the offensive plays and making that scheme. It seems like if they make one or two plays in the passing game, then that is what X will go with the rest of the game. It is maddening to see them revert to this after having success on the ground the past two weeks. And who the hell calls two flea-flickers in the same game? On the first, the WR on the opposite side had his man by 5 yards, but WH was locked into Kreimer, who luckily got the PI call.

I noticed the ST. I coaches headed down right before half as well, looking very unhappy. I understand you want to add on and get a little more momentum going into the half there, but geez.

The only game I have seen this team give up on was at Elder after the disaster of a third quarter, but the defense just gets flat out tired after a while, and they can be had over the top on a regular basis. Was nice to see the team trying to rally Dolle after the long TD, but I think he needs some safety help on a regular basis at this point. ST. I was running away from Kiessling on a regular basis, but no adjustment seemed to be getting made on that either.

As much as I love what Coach Specht has done from the program, this year has been really suspect. The coaching staff just does not seem to be putting the team in a position to succeed regularly.
I could not agree more-- with virtually everything you said here-- with first emphasis on coaching decisions and coaching outcomes... the lack of a kicking game being a prime example...

And that sideways sideline pass (for no yards) to the WR, who is expected to then make a play to beat the DB, to try to turn it into a gain, needs to just be deleted from X's offensive playbook-- never is more risk taken (interception return for a TD, fumble, incompletion, or even worse, backward pass fumble) on a long (trajectory--not forward progress) pass for less realized gain. After (thankfully) going away from it in the Ig game, to start the game, it was brought back, just before halftime-- only for it (of course) to bite X in the arse big time, and totally kill the momentum that X had up to that moment. Remember, the offense (ONCE AGAIN} gifted Ig all 10 of Ig's first half points!