Week 9: Lake @ Perry

Tough night for Perry. They just seem defeated as soon as something goes wrong. Felt like the game was over when it was 14-0. Lake superior in every phase.

Re: Perry... Someone last week was saying that the offense isn't the problem... that only the defense needed tweaked.

I disagree. Now perhaps Lake's defense is lights out and props to them for holding Perry to their least amount of points all season, but Perry hasn't seemed to put all their offensive pieces into harmony.

They have skill at each position... I mean even the kicker! How many of us remember when Perry's kicker was yearly the bulkiest kid who kicked Groza style? They have a QB who can throw... they have height at the ends who can elevate to pull a ball out of the air? They have tough kids who aren't afraid of contact. It just hasn't been put all together.

Re: Perry... Someone last week was saying that the offense isn't the problem... that only the defense needed tweaked.

I disagree. Now perhaps Lake's defense is lights out and props to them for holding Perry to their least amount of points all season, but Perry hasn't seemed to put all their offensive pieces into harmony.

They have skill at each position... I mean even the kicker! How many of us remember when Perry's kicker was yearly the bulkiest kid who kicked Groza style? They have a QB who can throw... they have height at the ends who can elevate to pull a ball out of the air? They have tough kids who aren't afraid of contact. It just hasn't been
Perry ran into a determined Lake team last night. Church got nearly all his yards ,when Lake put in the backups early in the 4th. Basham was injured early and wasn't much of a factor after. Mattox had 2 1st half interceptions and should have had a 3rd. Obviously Church is a stud,he has over 1,000 yds. Is the qb young?

Thanks 88streaks. I’ve been to three of their games already. Makes it difficult when I’m a 50 year Perry season ticket holder, the team historian, and keeper of all the records.
Just curious, since you are probably the go to guy here on yappi concerning Perry, what is the HC coaching contract? is it a 2 or 3 year deal? I would think the Perry faithful aren't to happy with how the season has turned out, here's hoping Perry can beat GO and make some noise in the post season because I think he HC can turn things around it may just take a little longer than expected but administrators are a funny group of people and may not be willing to wait that long, here's hoping they use sound judgement when evaluating the program at season's end

Just curious, since you are probably the go to guy here on yappi concerning Perry, what is the HC coaching contract? is it a 2 or 3 year deal? I would think the Perry faithful aren't to happy with how the season has turned out, here's hoping Perry can beat GO and make some noise in the post season because I think he HC can turn things around it may just take a little longer than expected but administrators are a funny group of people and may not be willing to wait that long, here's hoping they use sound judgement when evaluating the program at season's end
Wish ole' Waky was about 40 years old with some of Slates ideas. Wakefield would probably have this talent at 10-0 or 8-2. QB play is still like a deer in headlights. Get the ball out within seconds of the snap. Definitely not blaming the kids they just don't look natural on passing plays, practice makes perfect and it look's like it's very little. Not Slates is not the answer but he is close. When sitting in the stands and see exactly what play is coming next is hard to watch. There is a bunch of talent on this team that is not getting used properly IMO.

Perry ran into a determined Lake team last night. Church got nearly all his yards ,when Lake put in the backups early in the 4th. Basham was injured early and wasn't much of a factor after. Mattox had 2 1st half interceptions and should have had a 3rd. Obviously Church is a stud,he has over 1,000 yds. Is the qb young?
Church gets his yards the hardest way possible! That kid is a Bull! He runs hard every single play even knowing that the other team/teams know which way he's coming at them!

As far as I know I’m pretty certain it’s a 3 year deal. I’m a firm believer in giving a head coach their three years before I evaluate the program. I know their are some that aren’t happy right now and think Zach is in over his head. Has he made some mistakes, sure he has and he probably knows every one of them, but he’s still learning as a head coach. It’s tough following a legend. It’s not a bad thing that the Perry faithful have high expectations every year. That’s been the nature of the program most years, but this year has been a bit of a bummer in recent weeks. I didn’t think losing Hartshorn and Ivanic, very talented juniors, would affect the team the way it has, but it’s obvious they were emotional leaders as well. I also think the lack of depth along the lines with only 15 linemen, when they usually have 20, has had an effect as well. I hope the team regroups and goes out a winner with some momentum into the playoffs.

You are right, admins are a funny group. Especially at Perry right now. When Wake retired, they put no effort into finding a new coach. Wake said jump and they said how high. I’m not saying Slates shouldn’t have been the guy or wouldn’t have been the choice if there was a process, but at least do your due diligence. I sure hope the team gets things figured out. One Fed win in two years is not Perry standards.

Wish ole' Waky was about 40 years old with some of Slates ideas. Wakefield would probably have this talent at 10-0 or 8-2. QB play is still like a deer in headlights. Get the ball out within seconds of the snap. Definitely not blaming the kids they just don't look natural on passing plays, practice makes perfect and it look's like it's very little. Not Slates is not the answer but he is close. When sitting in the stands and see exactly what play is coming next is hard to watch. There is a bunch of talent on this team that is not getting used properly IMO.
No disrespect, but ain’t no way this Perry team would be 10-0 with wake. Not a chance

As far as I know I’m pretty certain it’s a 3 year deal. I’m a firm believer in giving a head coach their three years before I evaluate the program. I know their are some that aren’t happy right now and think Zach is in over his head. Has he made some mistakes, sure he has and he probably knows every one of them, but he’s still learning as a head coach. It’s tough following a legend. It’s not a bad thing that the Perry faithful have high expectations every year. That’s been the nature of the program most years, but this year has been a bit of a bummer in recent weeks. I didn’t think losing Hartshorn and Ivanic, very talented juniors, would affect the team the way it has, but it’s obvious they were emotional leaders as well. I also think the lack of depth along the lines with only 15 linemen, when they usually have 20, has had an effect as well. I hope the team regroups and goes out a winner with some momentum into the playoffs.
Sitting at the 14 seed, if they lose to GlenOak will they make the Playoffs? I seriously can't believe GlenOak clinched a playoff spot with 3 wins. Lorain did with 2!

the QB is going to be good but he is sophomore. As far as the offense, over all, they have scored decent points most games. We do not have a lot of players. I believe the total is 55. I believe the smallest in the Fed. Some years we do not have big linemen and some years we do . The wing T is ideal using misdirection n forward short passes to combat bigger n stronger players on the opponents defense. Most years we have good runners,
Lake was the best D we have faced as well as hardest hitting. Our defense has been the weakness all season . Remember when folks clapped when the "great coach" was no longer using the wing T ? He had the largest group of seniors in Perry history and didn't even make the playoffs. With 2 coaches they tried the spread, full house, I ect and it didn't pan out very well. Then others said Wake n his wing T was unless after going 0-10. Well, he was training the younger players and the next year was in the playoffs with 35 players in D1. Then more Fed titles and 2 states runner ups. I am glad Coach Slates was loyal and stayed at Perry. He deserves 3 years. It took Wake 3 years to turn it around at the beginning.