Week 8: LaSalle

ReLoad

This Friday the Bombers (3-4) host the LaSalle Scholars (4-3).

Retention of the King of the Road Trophy for the 4th straight year and a first GCL victory of the season is on the line.

StX and LaSalle first played in 1962, a 40-8 Bomber victory.

The Bombers lead the series 46-17-1 and are 17-4 since Specht has been head coach.

Scholars (4-3) Season Results
Wins: Colerain 28-3, Fairmont 14-7, Louisville Central 21-0 and Canisius 30-13
Losses: Northmont 34-31, Evil Empire 28-20 and Cathedral 39-26

StX fans eagerly await the new and improved Bomber offense!!!

Last edited:

With the new Ohio EdChoice there might be more kids on Vouchers at StX than at LaSalle. Lets do better than that. Bombers need a win.

This will be really interesting Game this week. LaSalle supposedly pretty banged up all around and the X Offense unless against Elder Defense been almost non existent this season.

When last time X didn’t win a single GCL Game in a season?

StX fans eagerly await the new and improved Bomber offense!!!
Bomber Triple Option Offense
QB #3 Daniel Vollmer So. 6’2” 205lb
FB #45 Ty Stegbauer Sr. 5'10" 196lb
WB #44 Jake Britt So. 6'0" 170lb
TB #4 Steve Napier Sr. 5’9” 190lb
TE #87 Luke Klare Sr. 6’6” 225lb offers from Valparaiso and Colgate
LT #79 Tucker Kattus Jr. 6’5” 290lb offers from Kentucky, Miami OH, Boston College, Michigan, Pitt, Wisconsin
LG #57 Derek Kautzman Sr. 6'1" 267lb
C #75 Andrew Jennings Sr. 6’3” 270lb offers from Carleton, Oberlin and Carnegie Mellon
RG #74 Justin Kattus Sr. 6'1" 220lb
RT #60 Grant Hester So. 6'3" 235lb
WR #6 Brady Bennett Sr. 6'1" 190lb

This will be really interesting Game this week. LaSalle supposedly pretty banged up all around and the X Offense unless against Elder Defense been almost non existent this season.

When last time X didn’t win a single GCL Game in a season?
It's been 15 years since X didn't win a GCL game in a season (2008)
That is the only season in Specht's 19 years as HC.

In their 100 year football history the Bombers have had a winless GCL league game season 16 times.
1932, 1934, 1942, 1945, 1949, 1952, 1954-57, 1959-61, 1991, 1996, 2003 and 2008

Last edited:
It's been 25 years since X didn't win a GCL game in a season (2008)
That is the only season in Specht's 19 years as HC.

In their 100 year football history the Bombers have had a winless GCL league game season 16 times.
1932, 1934, 1942, 1945, 1949, 1952, 1954-57, 1959-61, 1991, 1996, 2003 and 2008
That’s 15 yrs, not 25. Solid math.

Should be a fun matchup to watch this Friday, hopefully the bombers can get back on track. As in terms of the offense, I think the OC has #7 doing too much. #7 has good arm talent and is a great kid, leader, and can play. #3 is also a ballplayer. The offense whether its the wing T or spread, the offense should be simplified and the OC should recognize these kids are in HS. Throwing too much on their plate is a recipe disaster, especially if he is expecting them to make pro/college reads. Hopefully the King of the Road Trophy stays at Ballaban field, excited for this rival matchup and hope the bombers close out GCL play on a high note.

I'm sorry what is everyone seeing in Qb7 to make you say he has a good arm? It looks like he's pushing the ball when he throws it. The long ball floats too long, there doesn't look like there is any zip on the ball. When he goes deep it looks like he's mustering everything he has, and is calling on his ancestors to give him strength to launch the ball. I just don't see it.

It will be close to 100 percent for both by next year so maybe cool it with your typical elitist nonsense you spout every year.
If President Scholarships,Vouchers, Ed choice are close to 100% next yr how will these Schools stay Open going forward? No way they will receive enough money with 1-2% of enrollment actually paying tuition. Omar the Dbag PLEASE stay in yo momma basement and on the Elder Forum!!

If President Scholarships,Vouchers, Ed choice are close to 100% next yr how will these Schools stay Open going forward? No way they will receive enough money with 1-2% of enrollment actually paying tuition. Omar the Dbag PLEASE stay in yo momma basement and on the Elder Forum!!
What are you talking about? They'll get $8kish from the state for every student and then either financial aid or the parents will make up the rest. If anything, there will be more money coming in to all the parochial schools.

I'm sorry what is everyone seeing in Qb7 to make you say he has a good arm? It looks like he's pushing the ball when he throws it. The long ball floats too long, there doesn't look like there is any zip on the ball. When he goes deep it looks like he's mustering everything he has, and is calling on his ancestors to give him strength to launch the ball. I just don't see it.
I've been saying this all year. He looks like he cannot grip the ball so he just pushes it out there. Really not a good arm talent. Vollmer can throw it better IMO if they would give him consistent reps.

I've been saying this all year. He looks like he cannot grip the ball so he just pushes it out there. Really not a good arm talent. Vollmer can throw it better IMO if they would give him consistent reps.
Vollmer can launch it 50-60 yards flat footed. He's got a cannon. From watching him last year he needs to work on his intermediate game, and I would assume going through his reads and check downs. As a freshman he always went for the homerun ball, but usually hit because his receivers were cooking the dbs. On varsity you have to work those short hitters and check down routes. Like you said he needs consistent reps. I only think qb7 is starting because he understands playbook a little more, but that's it.

Vollmer can launch it 50-60 yards flat footed. He's got a cannon. From watching him last year he needs to work on his intermediate game, and I would assume going through his reads and check downs. As a freshman he always went for the homerun ball, but usually hit because his receivers were cooking the dbs. On varsity you have to work those short hitters and check down routes. Like you said he needs consistent reps. I only think qb7 is starting because he understands playbook a little more, but that's it.
This whole situation reminds me of the Robbie Schoenhoft(sp?) QB era at X. Kid looked the part of a big time QB talent and signed with OSU only to be moved to TE. Having a cannon for an arm is impressive but doesn't really help if you lack timing, accuracy and touch. Obviously there is something at practice that is holding the coaches back from turning over the passing game to him. I also wonder if the discussion of moving him to RB or the "ATH" position has been brought up as he certainly is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Hopefully this all gets figured out for a playoff run !

This whole situation reminds me of the Robbie Schoenhoft(sp?) QB era at X. Kid looked the part of a big time QB talent and signed with OSU only to be moved to TE. Having a cannon for an arm is impressive but doesn't really help if you lack timing, accuracy and touch. Obviously there is something at practice that is holding the coaches back from turning over the passing game to him. I also wonder if the discussion of moving him to RB or the "ATH" position has been brought up as he certainly is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Hopefully this all gets figured out for a playoff run !
Only way you get to work on timing is actually getting reps at qb, and not just working designed qb keeps and wr routes. Qb7 is strictly working at qb. Qb3 is all over the place, but not being allowed to work at only qb since he's a dynamic athlete. I think next year will be telling on his growth. As a qb and if he will truly push to be the starter.

What are you talking about? They'll get $8kish from the state for every student and then either financial aid or the parents will make up the rest. If anything, there will be more money coming in to all the parochial schools.
What will happen when 8kish$ stops coming from the State or becomes only 4kish?

Lets play this forward...

very clear right now that massive unrest in locker room, coaching staff and alums over the QB battle
the parents are all losing it in the tailgate and stands
everyone from X seems to be on double secret probation and on eggshells of calling it as it is
any claim there was a legit QB competition this summer in terms of reps seems to be misguided
QB3 seems to not have gotten the reps in the off-season that QB7 did in what seems to be an offense that is more complicated than quantum physics (seperate topic)
QB3 can absolutely throw the ball and has a cannon

this would all be fine and dandy if QB7 was a senior as you can ride it out, but we get this for another entire year

at what point does the HC make the call on who the man is and we ride with it?

Reactions: Wi3
Lets play this forward...

very clear right now that massive unrest in locker room, coaching staff and alums over the QB battle
the parents are all losing it in the tailgate and stands
everyone from X seems to be on double secret probation and on eggshells of calling it as it is
any claim there was a legit QB competition this summer in terms of reps seems to be misguided
QB3 seems to not have gotten the reps in the off-season that QB7 did in what seems to be an offense that is more complicated than quantum physics (seperate topic)
QB3 can absolutely throw the ball and has a cannon

this would all be fine and dandy if QB7 was a senior as you can ride it out, but we get this for another entire year

at what point does the HC make the call on who the man is and we ride with it?
No one will say anything for fear of their kid losing playing time. Not good when kids and parents are making comments in the shadows. Not good at all.

In one particular storied stadium, every time I go, there are people in the stands complaining in the shadows about the coaches and who's playing and who's not. It's non-stop.

It's ok if people are upset and can discuss it, it's not good when people feel they have to lurk in the shadows for fear of retaliation. Coaches are human, sometimes they are wrong.

When the Scholars have the ball....

Purdue bound WR #2 Coy Beasley missed the first 5 weeks of the season due to injury but returned to the lineup for the past 2 games.
Week 6 vs EE: 4 carries for 23 yards and 3 catches for 49 yards
Week 7 vs Cathedral: No carries and 7 catches for 153 yards and 2 TDs (61 and 48 yarders)
The Scholars QB completes 58% of his passes but only 7 yards per pass average (with Beasley back will improve)
Offensively they average 300 yards per game (200 in the air and 100 on the ground)

When the Bombers have the ball.....

Expect alternating QBs which everybody loves
QB1 Dan Vollmer leads the team in rushing with 444 yards in 7 games.
He has only thrown the ball 9 times, connecting just once for 15 yards.
Expecting him to throw more this Friday.
Jake Britt (260 yards) and Steven Napier (198 yards) lineup in both the wildcat and as tailback
QB2 Chase Herbstreit leads the team in passing with 1,066 yards completing 54% of his passes
Offensively X also averages 300 yards per game but is more balanced with 160 in the air and 140 on the ground

StX Bombers 35 LaSalle Scholars 17

Hey ReJect, it is OK to follow your heart, but take your brain with you. GBM 💪 🏈
Ahh birdog. So predictable. Moe doing bad - birdog nowhere to be found. Moe doing well - birdog everywhere. At least I have the comfort of knowing that when Moe loses early in the playoffs - birdog gone!

Ahh birdog. So predictable. Moe doing bad - birdog nowhere to be found. Moe doing well - birdog everywhere. At least I have the comfort of knowing that when Moe loses early in the playoffs - birdog gone!
OK, now go out and play! GBM 💪 🏈

Attachments

• Bomber.jpg
    Bomber.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 73