Week 8: LaSalle

ReLoad

The Bombers (2-5) have an opportunity to retain the King of the Road trophy this Friday against the host LaSalle Vouchers (2-5)

The last time both teams had losing records headed into this matchup was in 2008, a 10-7 LaSalle win at Lancer Stadium.

StX and LaSalle first played in 1962, a 40-8 Bomber victory.

The Bombers lead the series 45-17-1 and are 16-4 since Specht has been head coach.

After starting the season with a 17-3 win over Colerain and a 70-7 pasting of a Canadian club, the Vouchers have endured 5 losses: Fairmont 10-3, Trinity 31-10, DuPont Manual 20-16, Moeller 47-14 and Cathedral 36-7

He's getting minimum reps at qb. But he is up and practicing as qb. Their last freshman game is tomorrow. So will be interesting what they do with him moving forward

Just listened to today's audio of Coach's Corner on StX website and Specht talks about.....

The talent on the freshmen team and the 2 freshmen currently practicing with varsity - Hester and Vollmer
Current QB starter sophomore Herbstreit - talented, loves working out and studying film
Defense: the loss of Myers at safety and the depth at LB caused them to change defense from odd stack to the 3-4
Score doesn't show it but vs Trinity the defense did really well with the new scheme (hasn't run it since 2004)

GO X!

Just listened to today's audio of Coach's Corner on StX website and Specht talks about.....

The talent on the freshmen team and the 2 freshmen currently practicing with varsity - Hester and Vollmer
Current QB starter sophomore Herbstreit - talented, loves working out and studying film
Defense: the loss of Myers at safety and the depth at LB caused them to change defense from odd stack to the 3-4
Score doesn't show it but vs Trinity the defense did really well with the new scheme (hasn't run it since 2004)

GO X!
Far be it for me to criticize a school or it's players, which begs the question, where have you been ReJect? I would have thought that the anti-depressants would have helped before this. :) GBM

Far be it for me to criticize a school or it's players, which begs the question, where have you been ReJect? I would have thought that the anti-depressants would have helped before this. :) GBM
Been busy removing all the sharp objects from my parents basement
No need to tell me where you've been, I'm sure it's not good

Freshmen team final game tonight 5:30pm at RDI stadium vs the Voucher frosh
If you can't make it watch it on ESPX

I haven't seen St X play this year, however it sounds like people are really down on Coverdale, after signing his praises the past few years. His offense secured some average QB's scholarships. What has changed?

I haven't seen St X play this year, however it sounds like people are really down on Coverdale, after signing his praises the past few years. His offense secured some average QB's scholarships. What has changed?
The main complaint is that he doesn't seem to know how to call plays in short yardage situations, and can't seem to adapt to having personnel that doesn't fit his scheme.

The short yardage issue came up last year in the playoff loss to LW, and then again this year against LW and Moe. This team could very easily be 4-2.

This year's offense personnel is road grader linemen, a power back, and possession receivers. Sharp can get open, but doesn't have breakaway speed like receivers X has had the past few years. The line doesn't have the quick feet for pass blocking, and Napier is a North South runner, not a zone/stretch runner. Cov is still calling plays for the 2020 team, which had the almost ideal personnel for his concepts.

So I was watching the highlights last night and saw the opening play of X-LaSalle. Did the referees botch the opening kickoff? Shouldn't that have been a touchback not a safety?

The Bombers complete the sweep of LaSalle in Week 8

Varsity wins on Friday 16-7 to improve to 3-5
Varsity plays St. Ignatius (4-3) at RDI Stadium this Saturday at 3pm

JV wins on Saturday 7-0 to improve to 4-2
A 6 yard TD run by Prince Roberson in the 2nd quarter coupled with an outstanding defensive performance
JV wraps up their season at home Saturday at noon vs St. Ignatius

Frosh Blue Team wins on Thursday 16-0 to finish the season 7-0
A defensive safety were followed by a pair of TD runs by RB Brayden Reilly (6 yards) and QB Daniel Vollmer (12 yards)
They outscored their 7 opponents 201-61

Any updates on the jersey numbers for the call ups?
The obvious jersey number 62 is the punter (Hester)
Had a decent day vs LaSalle: 6 punts for 216 yards (36 yard avg), 3 punts inside the 20 and a long of 47.

Not sure what numbers Vollmer, Betts, Shamsi, Taylor, Reilly, Clapper, Stegbauer, the Harveys, Reeder and McDonald are wearing.
They usually update the roster after the JV season is complete (this Saturday)

From the JV and Frosh rosters on StX website.....
Hayden Shamsi So. WR 6'0" 170lb
Simeon Betts So. WR 6'2" 152lb
Daniel Vollmer Fr. QB 6'1" 176lb
Cam Taylor Fr. WR 6'1" 173lb
Brayden Reilly Fr. WR/RB 6'2" 158lb
Grant Hester Fr. P/OL 6'4" 237lb
Kobe Clapper Fr. WR 6'1" 178lb
Spencer Stegbauer Fr. RB 5'9" 165lb
Brady McDonald Fr. RB 6'0" 168lb
Aden Reeder Fr. S 6'1" 171lb
Zarius Harvey Fr. CB 5'7" 140lb
Zayden Harvey Fr. CB 5'7" 140lb

GO X!

So I was watching the highlights last night and saw the opening play of X-LaSalle. Did the referees botch the opening kickoff? Shouldn't that have been a touchback not a safety?
I posed this to "Ask The Ref" on the main board.
The scenario is post #3,032 and his response is post #3,033 in the link below ....

So per his response it's either down at the 1 yard line or a safety.
I watched it a few times and I think his momentum carried him into the end zone so in that case it would be X ball at the 1.
If the refs thought he ran into the end zone of his own volition it would be a safety.....which is apparently what they decided.
Why would a kid run backwards into the end zone unless they were trying to take a safety, like a punter or QB running out the clock.
It would have been a touchback had he fallen down in the end zone and not at the 1 yard line.

Judgement call

The chess pieces to place on Cov's game board are on the way.
Should be an interesting second season.
Next year. I just can't see this team making a run. They are going to have to get a favorable series of matches against run heavy teams to get anywhere. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I posed this to "Ask The Ref" on the main board.
The scenario is post #3,032 and his response is post #3,033 in the link below ....

So per his response it's either down at the 1 yard line or a safety.
I watched it a few times and I think his momentum carried him into the end zone so in that case it would be X ball at the 1.
If the refs thought he ran into the end zone of his own volition it would be a safety.....which is apparently what they decided.
Why would a kid run backwards into the end zone unless they were trying to take a safety, like a punter or QB running out the clock.
It would have been a touchback had he fallen down in the end zone and not at the 1 yard line.

Judgement call
If the player had not picked the ball up at the 2 but knocked into the end zone and X had recovered it would be a touchdown not a touchback. The Lasalle player caused the ball to go into the end zone not the momentum of the kick. That is why it is a safety and not a touchback

Maybe and Maybe. Judgement Call per Allsports on the ask a ref thread. Also a pretty good explanation too. Talk about a huge momentum swing on the opening Kickoff. Post#3,033 on as Ref Football thread.

Last edited:
Shamsi is 22, the other freshmen don't have jerseys yet. Their first practices will be tomorrow.

Betts was had 82 on Friday. Would like to see them get some game reps with Herbstreit if they've been playing together all year already

If the player had not picked the ball up at the 2 but knocked into the end zone and X had recovered it would be a touchdown not a touchback.
Incorrect.

Until the kick is possessed, it's still a kick, therefore it would have been a touchback due to a kick crossing the goal line.

The Lasalle player caused the ball to go into the end zone not the momentum of the kick. That is why it is a safety and not a touchback
That was the judgment of the officials..... and remember, it would not have been a touchback. The receiving team would be awarded the ball at the spot where they first possessed it.

Last edited:
If the player had not picked the ball up at the 2 but knocked into the end zone and X had recovered it would be a touchdown not a touchback. The Lasalle player caused the ball to go into the end zone not the momentum of the kick. That is why it is a safety and not a touchback
Great explanation. Thank you.

Incorrect.

Until the kick is possessed, it's still a kick, therefore it would have been a touchback due to a kick crossing the goal line.

That was the judgment of the officials.
That was my understanding as well, which is why I asked. But thanks all for the explanations, didn't mean to derail the thread. Carry on.

For those of you attending games what is your assessment of Herbstreit? His stats from the LaSalle game were modest but was that on him, the play calling or the LaSalle D?