Week 8: LaSalle

ReLoad

I’m back from Center Grove fantasy land in time to see the Bombers clinch their 17th GCL title since the 4 team GCL south league was formed in 1991

The Bombers (6-1, 2-0) got a much needed wakeup call yesterday in a 1 point home loss to the Trinity Shamrocks (1-5).
Thank you Shamrocks for the first thrilling game of the year. It was a lot of fun.
Lesson learned on the importance of playing your top playmakers in all phases of the game regardless of opponent.

This Friday at RDI stadium the Bombers have an opportunity to retain the King of the Road trophy, clinch an outright GCL-S title and get back on the state title track against the LaSalle Vouchers (4-3, 0-1). This one will get ugly.

StX and LaSalle first played in 1962, a 40-8 Bomber victory.
The Bombers lead the series 44-17-1 and are 15-4 since Specht has been head coach.
After starting the season 4-1 with wins over Colerain, Winton Woods, Dupont Manuel and Trinity the Vouchers are on a 2 game skid losing to Moeller (28-14) and Indy Cathedral (35-7)

Questions remain on the health of Bomber players Kemper, McFarlin and Vrsansky.
Friday’s game showed that despite the depth of this year’s Bomber team they cannot afford to be without their top players on offense, defense and special teams.

GO X!

We better say how good the Vouchers are and how much we fear them or their coach and parents might use our posts to fire them up and then the X yapsters will be responsible for not 1, but 2 Bomber losses.

See, you’re making fun of LS for using vouchers, which I believe every GCL school accepts. You’re not mocking the abuse of vouchers, bc you would’ve articulated that better before I pointed it out.

You're upset that LaSalle built a D2 football power with the vouchers before you did. No matter how illegal or immoral you would be all for whatever it would take to get a Corey Kiner or that 8th grade basketball player you stalked down the street from Elder. Does Elder need to ban you from more than athletic events?

Not banned from anything, and I have no love for LS, but it’s clear you’re just a butthole. If you are close friends with Specht, that makes him look bad or you’re just a creepy liar who has an obsession with a coach who barely knows you exist.

pboy deflecting attention from lasalle's misuse and abuse of vouchers and make it about the students

For a fan of the only GCL school that has had La Salle's number the past decade, you sure are attached to this lie.

And Pboy is right ... you're a classist arsehole. Not a good look for the men for others.

Reload May know Specht, no way Specht agrees with most of what he says nor does he talk to him about the football program. Wherever his “inside information” about the X program came from dried up a couple years ago and he has wildly inaccurate for a while now. Thought he was suspended last year when he made those classless and inappropriate comments last year about Lasalle that there is now way most of the St. X community agreed with.

Dam fellas, this is like a flashback to the Yappi battles a few years back. We only the GBM guy Birddog guy for a good old fashion WWE Battle Royal, like with Fridge, Hulk, Junkyard Dog, George the Animal Steel, Rowdy Roddy Piper etc.
Reload, I'm an X homer but a strong LaSalle team makes the league better, they don't take a D1 playoff spot, and all the GCL teams are better off playing better teams. If some kid gets a shot at a better education, all the better as well. All the private schools have financial aid and scholarship programs to some degree. If the GMC AD's were on this site, and we got a couple of beers in them, they'd all likely grumble about the kids they lose to GCL schools.
Enough of my soapbox, lets talk some football.
Reload do have the LaSalle lineups for us?

Reactions: 4GX
Using the always reliable and straightforward transitory property, since LaSalle beat Colerain 20-14 and X beat Colerain 42-7 taking into account that X's win was on the road and since X beat Moeller by 35 and LaSalle lost to Moeller by 14 noting that the X win was on a neutral field and considering LaSalle beat Trinity by 21 across state lines and X lost to Trinity by a point on a night when X was suppose to be playing Center Grove the data strongly suggests that LaSalle should win by anywhere from 14 to 28 points

The only LaSalle player I am familiar with on this year's team is Jeremy Larkin.
If X can keep Jeremy under 200 all purpose yards they only lose by a score.

Dam fellas, this is like a flashback to the Yappi battles a few years back. We only the GBM guy Birddog guy for a good old fashion WWE Battle Royal, like with Fridge, Hulk, Junkyard Dog, George the Animal Steel, Rowdy Roddy Piper etc.
Reload, I'm an X homer but a strong LaSalle team makes the league better, they don't take a D1 playoff spot, and all the GCL teams are better off playing better teams. If some kid gets a shot at a better education, all the better as well. All the private schools have financial aid and scholarship programs to some degree. If the GMC AD's were on this site, and we got a couple of beers in them, they'd all likely grumble about the kids they lose to GCL schools.
Enough of my soapbox, lets talk some football.
Reload do have the LaSalle lineups for us?
It's birdog :) GBM I don't like to fight anymore, but ReJect is still the biggest @$$ on Yappi!

Multiple Yapsters have persuaded me to turn over a new leaf.
This is gonna hurt but here goes…….

This Friday the Bombers (6-1) welcome 4 time state champion LaSalle Lancers (4-3) to Ballaban Field for the friendly King of the Road contest.

StX and LaSalle first played in 1962, where X was fortunate to escape with the victory
Although the Bombers lead the series 44-17-1, the Lancers have won 2 of the last 5 meetings, the last being a well played 22-15 win at Ballaban Field in 2019

LaSalle started the season strong with wins over Colerain, Winton Woods, Dupont Manuel and Trinity.
The last couple of weeks the Lancers have met with some adversity but are confident that they can right the ship on the Bombers home field as they did just 2 short years ago.

The focal point of the Lancer defense is their senior linebackers J.J. Ruffin (6’3” 227lb) and Chase Stein (5’11” 200lb)
Ruffin had a monster of a game last week against Indiana power Cathedral with 2.5 sacks and 10 tackles.
He leads the team in sacks with 4.5 and is second in tackles with 44.
Stein, known as Mr. consistency has 33 tackles and 2 sacks on the year

Roaming the secondary is sophomore Koy Beasley who leads the team in interceptions with 3.

Offensively Coach McLaughlin likes to keep the ball on the ground, and why not with 3 outstanding RBs in Indiana commit GiBran Payne, converted junior LB Jaylen Grant and senior Davay Hill, who have combined for over 700 yards in the first 6 games.

Add to that a couple of running QBs in Mason Mattingly and Cam Cope and this offense is pert near impossible to stop so X will have to be content with slowing them down some.

Not only is the King of the Road trophy up for grabs in this one but the Bombers have a chance to win the GCL outright, always a preseason goal of Coach Specht but tough today against one of the premier teams in the state of Ohio.

LaSalle is always a formidable foe and tough matchup for the Bombers

As the saying goes in Lancerville………"It’s the brotherhood at LaSalle that sets us apart”

How true, how true

Thanks for the scouting report.

Hope the leaf being turned over isn't a fig leaf, there is stuff we don't want to see........

Have to admit, and like the people who say they don't like reality shows but always watch anyway, I did used to enjoy the PBoy/Omar/Reload/Birdog sparring back and forth........

Good luck to the Bombers tomorrow.

Personnel wise looks as if the Bombers are back to 100%

Good thing because tomorrow night it's all hands on deck since they are going to have their hands full with a hungry LaSalle football team that is spectacular, fantastic, thrilling, dreamy, arresting, incredible, ferocious, lock-down, assertive, brutal, boss, breath-taking, hard-wired, colossal, brutish, dominant, fierce, superior, creative, preeminent, out of this world, dangerous, vicious, formidable, powerful, insane, picturesque, striking, effective, amazing, glorious, eye-catching, intimidating, daunting, commanding, imaginative, violent, unbelievable, savage, aggressive and insane

Personnel wise looks as if the Bombers are back to 100%
It's a tougher defense with Kemper in at corner: 3 pass breakups; LaSalle 7 first downs and 86 total yards offense
A more explosive offense with McFarlin at WR: 7 catches for 188 yards and 3 TDs
And better special teams with Vrsansky fielding punts (2 for 6 yards) and Kemper returning kickoffs (2 for 66 yards)
Good thing because tomorrow night it's all hands on deck since they are going to have their hands full with a hungry LaSalle football team that is spectacular, fantastic, thrilling, dreamy, arresting, incredible, ferocious, lock-down, assertive, brutal, boss, breath-taking, hard-wired, colossal, brutish, dominant, fierce, superior, creative, preeminent, out of this world, dangerous, vicious, formidable, powerful, insane, picturesque, striking, effective, amazing, glorious, eye-catching, intimidating, daunting, commanding, imaginative, violent, unbelievable, savage, aggressive and insane
I gave them one adjective too many

LaSalle's first score (a fumble return for a TD) was a clear miss by the officials: the refs let an incomplete pass be returned ~~90 yards for a touchdown. X's QB threw the ball FORWARD from the LaSalle 15-yard line to the 13-yard line, where Kellom nearly caught it, then fumbled it. Probably because Kellom scrambled after the ball for a moment, the LaSalle defender picked it up and ran it back ~90 yards-- and the refs just swallowed their whistles-- they didn't even get together and talk about it. This was not even a close call, and they completely muffed it.

It's also worth noting that LaSalle had something like 40-50 yards in penalties (against X) on the only scoring drive that LaSalle's offense managed. While it became comical, after a while, to see what new major 15-yard penalty the refs would call on X (X had at least FIVE major penalties in the first half alone)-- it should be a concern that X keeps getting called for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties-- that reflects a lack of discipline.

It appeared that the unsportsmanlike conduct calls on X were for tackles near the sideline that were deemed to have happened out of bounds-- none of them were obvious, from the home (opposing) side of the field (which admittedly made it harder to see, since the plays were much further away, and it was hard to tell whether any of the tackles continued over the sideline). There were at least three 15-yard penalties called on X, in the first half that occurred in the middle of all of the players and staff milling around on the LaSalle sideline; for some reason, ALL of X's major penalties in the first half seemed to occur either right near or over the LaSalle sideline.

Last edited:
and the refs just swallowed their whistles-- they didn't even get together and talk about it.

They swallowed their whistles because they blew an early whistle on a similar play when X recovered the backwards pass from LaSalle. They awarded the ball to X but it had to be given to them at the spot since they blew the whistle prematurely. Being fresh in their minds, they all thought, “ no way am I making that flub twice” when really they missed the call altogether.

LaSalle's first score (a fumble return for a TD) was a clear miss by the officials: the refs let an incomplete pass be returned ~~90 yards for a touchdown. X's QB threw the ball FORWARD from the LaSalle 15-yard line to the 13-yard line, where Kellom nearly caught it, then fumbled it. Probably because Kellom scrambled after the ball for a moment, the LaSalle defender picked it up and ran it back ~90 yards-- and the refs just swallowed their whistles-- they didn't even get together and talk about it. This was not even a close call, and they completely muffed it.

It was pretty close: I thought it was clearly a forward pass, but upon looking at the replay, closer than my first impression. Where the ball leaves his hand is the 14yd and where it is touched is close to the 14.

29:30

They swallowed their whistles because they blew an early whistle on a similar play when X recovered the backwards pass from LaSalle. They awarded the ball to X but it had to be given to them at the spot since they blew the whistle prematurely. Being fresh in their minds, they all thought, “ no way am I making that flub twice” when really they missed the call altogether.
The refs last night were.... interesting. I'm not going to rag on them too much because it's a pretty thankless job, but some calls and no calls were pretty dubious.

Reactions: 4GX
I neglected to mention this-- several fans around me were talking about this (previous) call in the stands-- and we all thought that the "inadvertent whistle" on that previous play (on what was ruled a LaSalle fumble, and thus negated the X return for a TD) may have goaded the officials into NOT blowing the whistle on the second play (LaSalle's faux fumble recovery).

Now that I've seen the replay, I'd say that X's QB throws the ball between the 14- and 15-yard lines (as he is falling back to the 15-yard line)-- so he finishes further back; X's receiver initially touches the ball between the 13- and 14-yard lines-- and then continues to try to catch it as he crosses the 13-yard line, so he falls to the ground further forward. It's never close to looking like a backward pass.

Last edited: