Week 7: Elder (5-1) v Moeller (6-0)

Omar

One word for this matchup: huge. Expect a R4 Final atmosphere at Nippert on Friday.

Elder’s D has been outstanding all season but Moeller will be their biggest challenge by a good amount. If Elder can contain Marshall, they’ll have a shot, but if he gets going, it’s going to be an uphill battle.

One word for this matchup: huge. Expect a R4 Final atmosphere at Nippert on Friday.

Elder’s D has been outstanding all season but Moeller will be their biggest challenge by a good amount. If Elder can contain Marshall, they’ll have a shot, but if he gets going, it’s going to be an uphill battle.
I have no idea what to expect. X moved the ball against Moe. Does that mean we can? Moeller LaSalle was almost a running clock after one quarter. How good is the Moe offense? It’s not only Marshall to worry about their other back is almost as good and their passing game is very good. Going to take another awesome effort.

As fast as Bryant is, you have to gameplan around Marshall. If you're going to pick your poison, make Dunn make the throws. He's capable but not sure he can beat you by himself. I think Elder will control Marshall as they have several guys with a nose for the ball and good tacklers, and my guess is they will try to limit him with their gameplan. BUT - he's capable of breaking it every time he touches it. When it's all said and done, he will be one of the best RBs to come out of Ohio.

He's a shiftier and faster Miyan Williams - elusive moves but not afraid to run through you. I think this is going to be a great game. Moe has the obvious talent advantage at the skill positions, but Elder is very consistent across their defense with 11 capable guys. It will take a great team effort and Elder is capable.

Last edited:
Win this game and Elder could earn the 1 seed which this year seems to be huge to avoid having to beat West and Moe in back to back weeks.

As fast as Bryant is, you have to gameplan around Marshall. If you're going to pick your poison, make Dunn make the throws. He's capable but not sure he can beat you by himself. I think Elder will control Marshall as they have several guys with a nose for the ball and good tacklers, and my guess is they will try to limit him with their gameplan. BUT - he's capable of breaking it every time he touches it. When it's all said and done, he will be one of the best RBs to come out of Ohio.

He's a shiftier and faster Miyan Williams - elusive moves but not afraid to run through you. I think this is going to be a great game. Moe has the obvious talent advantage at the skill positions, but Elder is very consistent across their defense with 11 capable guys. It will take a great team effort and Elder is capable.
Very well said. My question is—does Elder have anyone to match TB’s speed? He caught 12 passes for 175 yards 3 TD last year vs Elder.

Because you are spot on—slow JM and force QB1 to make throws. LD will not take over a game, but he is not asked to do such a thing. If Elder can change that, I say advantage Elder.

Moe’s D (especially pass) is much improved over last year’s squad, but can (and has) given up key 3rds all year.

I still believe JM is too much for Elder in this one.

I have no idea what to expect. X moved the ball against Moe. Does that mean we can? Moeller LaSalle was almost a running clock after one quarter. How good is the Moe offense? It’s not only Marshall to worry about their other back is almost as good and their passing game is very good. Going to take another awesome effort.
Also going to have trouble with WR Bryant, he killed them last yr. Elder trying to get in a shootout like last yr would be a mistake. Their best option is to slow down the game and control TOP.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a bigger purple crowd than the Moe faithful on Friday night.

Elder's been very strong against the run this year, Marshall is probably the best back in Ohio as a Junior - something has to give.

As far as Bryant, keep a safety (probably Gutekunst) over top and make them throw to everyone not named Bryant and Marshall.

Elder has their work cut out for them. Im told Moe has a dozen or so current players who will be D1 college players. Should be a great opportunity for the Panthers.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a bigger purple crowd than the Moe faithful on Friday night.
It is almost a certainty that that there will be more Elder fans than Moeller fans Friday night. Even in Moeller’s glory years they could never come close to matching Elder’s crowds.

Elder usually shows up big in these type of games. I think it's going to be close, but my brain tells me Moe will take this one, but wouldn't be surprised if Elder pulled it out:

Moe - 27
E - 21

E likely wins out after this. Either 9-1 or 8-2 is by far exceeding expectations with a pretty tough schedule.

Last edited:
Elder has their work cut out for them. Im told Moe has a dozen or so current players who will be D1 college players. Should be a great opportunity for the Panthers.
Elder might not have a “dozen” D1 players, but they’ve got a handful too. Let’s not act like they’re just a bunch of schmoes with good work ethic. Elder has talent and I’m tired of our own fans selling them short just to support some moronic narrative. There’s no reason for Elder to be intimidated going into this game.

Does anyone know if Elder is selling tickets online for Friday’s game?

I found Moeller’s ticket site below but would rather buy via Elder if that helps Elder get a cut at all.

This is my first Elder game in a few years. Let’s go!

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Elder might not have a “dozen” D1 players, but they’ve got a handful too. Let’s not act like they’re just a bunch of schmoes with good work ethic. Elder has talent and I’m tired of our own fans selling them short just to support some moronic narrative. There’s no reason for Elder to be intimidated going into this game.
Again, what is your fascination with D1 players?

Who cares if Elder has D1 talent, they're capable of beating anyone. And the facts are they don't have any current D1 signees on the team. It's just a factual statement, why does that rub you wrong?

Elder's been beating teams for a century without a bunch of D1 talents, and yes, that does say something about them. You are the only one that brings up the term "no talent try hards".

Again, what is your fascination with D1 players?

Who cares if Elder has D1 talent, they're capable of beating anyone. And the facts are they don't have any current D1 signees on the team. It's just a factual statement, why does that rub you wrong?

Elder's been beating teams for a century without a bunch of D1 talents, and yes, that does say something about them. You are the only one that brings up the term "no talent try hards".
Arnold's gonna be playing D1, even if he isn't signed yet. Only a sophomore and has an offer from Purdue I think? Regardless, the fascination is a bit much.

Arnold's gonna be playing D1, even if he isn't signed yet. Only a sophomore and has an offer from Purdue I think? Regardless, the fascination is a bit much.
Our fans like to undersell the importance of talent. You have to be talented to play D1. Arnold, McKenna, Dugan, Schorsch should all get a chance to play D1. Then there’s players like Freeman, Heitz, Voelkerding, Gutenkust, James, Flowers, and Re who will play at the lower level. Schoster would likely get some opportunity as well but my understanding is he leanings towards Baseball.

These kids all have natural ability in addition to hard work. It’s not right to constantly attribute their ability to solely hard work.

Our fans like to undersell the importance of talent. You have to be talented to play D1. Arnold, McKenna, Dugan, Schorsch should all get a chance to play D1. Then there’s players like Freeman, Heitz, Voelkerding, Gutenkust, James, Flowers, and Re who will play at the lower level. Schoster would likely get some opportunity as well but my understanding is he leanings towards Baseball.

These kids all have natural ability in addition to hard work. It’s not right to constantly attribute their ability to solely hard work.
They don't undersell talent, they just know a kid that's 5'11 and runs a 4.8 isn't going D1. Has nothing to do with being a good/great HS football player. D1 schools don't even look at you without the measurables.

Of course every coach wants D1 talent - but it's a small pocket of the city where you get kids, there's just not going to be a ton of D1 kids come through just simply based on biology. There's a reason you rarely see Elder's basketball team with a bunch of 6'9 guys. They don't grow 'em like that over there.

Does anyone know if Elder is selling tickets online for Friday’s game?

I found Moeller’s ticket site below but would rather buy via Elder if that helps Elder get a cut at all.

This is my first Elder game in a few years. Let’s go!

You will not find a link with Hometown Ticketing for the visiting team. This does not mean visitors are cut out of the money.

How the money is distributed is above my pay grade. But, I wonder who gets the $1.64 fee per ticket times 20k fans. 🙄

Do not wait until the price jumps from $10 to $15 on Friday.

Correct. And I’m sure he’ll visit with Elder students like he did with X students. He is trying to convince Reds fans everywhere that the team will be competitive in 2023. 😉
The better question is why isn't Votto with the team? I know he's injured, but for the face of the franchise to be yucking it up at high school games instead of mentoring younger players is a bad look. So much for being a pro.

The better question is why isn't Votto with the team? I know he's injured, but for the face of the franchise to be yucking it up at high school games instead of mentoring younger players is a bad look. So much for being a pro.
The “bad look” is a 39 yo 1B getting paid $25 mil hitting .205 with 2 years left on a contract.

He and Stephenson (who is also rumored to be at the game again) are rehabbing in Cincinnati. They have made several appearances around the city, including charity events. Their connection is with Dr. Kremchek, not Moe.

The “bad look” is a 39 yo 1B getting paid $25 mil hitting .205 with 2 years left on a contract.

He and Stephenson (who is also rumored to be at the game again) are rehabbing in Cincinnati. They have made several appearances around the city, including charity events. Their connection is with Dr. Kremchek, not Moe.
I know there is no direct connection with Moe. It sends the wrong message when your team is playing, in town or out, and you are out a high school game getting paid your 25 million.

His salary, performance, attitude, and injuries have been the center of Reds' criticism since that contract was signed. His very public galavanting around while his team is playing surely doesn't help.

I doubt any player who has major surgery and is out for the season is still in the dugout every night unless they want to be there for a playoff run or something like that. And they especially aren’t traveling for road games.

I guarantee Votto is still around the team plenty — especially in the afternoons before home games — for any young guy who wants to go seek out his advice on anything.

Ultimately, it’s the coaches’ job to mentor the young players anyway.

In any event, Votto isn’t going to be around much longer anyway, so this gives a younger guy like Jonathan India a chance to really develop into the clubhouse leader now since he figures to be that guy once Votto is no longer the face of the team.

The latest AP Poll has Moeller ranked #1 in the state and Elder ranked #4. Anyone care to guess the last time(if ever) Moeller and Elder were both ranked in the top 4 for a regular season game? 1997 maybe? When was the last time Elder played Moeller while currently ranked #1 in the State AP Poll?

DIVISION I
1. Cin. Moeller (19) 6-0 199
2. Lakota West 6-0 159
3. St. Edward 5-1 143
4. Cin. Elder 5-1 118
5. Dublin Jerome (2) 6-0 111
6. Centerville 5-1 88
7. St. Ignatius 4-1 55
8. Cle. Hts. 6-0 53
9. Springboro 5-1 48
10. Springfield 4-1 47
Others receiving 12 or more points: Cin. Princeton 45. Gahanna Lincoln 19. Medina 18. New Albany 13. Fairfield 12.

The latest AP Poll has Moeller ranked #1 in the state and Elder ranked #4. Anyone care to guess the last time(if ever) Moeller and Elder were both ranked in the top 4 for a regular season game? 1997 maybe? When was the last time Elder played Moeller while currently ranked #1 in the State AP Poll?
That indeed may go back to the 1990s or even 1980s. But, my bet is St. Ignatius was in that #1 spot most of the time these two played. The Moe football archives are no longer available online.

That indeed may go back to the 1990s or even 1980s. But, my bet is St. Ignatius was in that #1 spot most of the time these two played. The Moe football archives are no longer available online.

Was it hacked like Elder's sports history page? You can't find any Elder sports history online anymore. Records and such are probably buried in a desk somewhere at Elder.

Was it hacked like Elder's sports history page? You can't find any Elder sports history online anymore. Records and such are probably buried in a desk somewhere at Elder.
I’m not sure what happened. There are Moe athletic archives in various years online. These include stats from individual games and old news articles, but the football stats (and old schedules) are gone.

I should say ehsports.com has schedules/results from 2000 - 2022 but nothing prior.
Gclsports.com has standings/individual stats from 2004 - 2022.
Joeeitel.com has schedule results from 2000 - 2022
OHSAA website has playoff history, ap poll history, and all state team history.