Week 6: Elder(2-3) vs. St. Xavier(5-0)

I think it’s BS to lay any of this blame on the S&C guy, and I think it’s extra BS to lay the blame on kids that give up because they’re not getting opportunities. As I’ve said for years, this is a leadership ,vision and development issue.

When the program isn't where you want it to be, no one is off limits. I don't think a single person on here including myself has blamed him though. The players have to take it upon themselves to take the offseason training to another level.

Elder won the JV game 44-7. I know it doesn’t mean a whole lot, but at least it’s some kind of positive to pull out of this weekend.

I am curious how the JV lost to Lasalle 28-14, but they dominated St. Xavier JV. It's not like X has sophomores playing up on Varsity. Maybe, they have some injuries we don't know about. Did Elder JV just have a bad game against Lasalle, or is Lasalle sophomore class that good?

I am curious how the JV lost to Lasalle 28-14, but they dominated St. Xavier JV. It's not like X has sophomores playing up on Varsity. Maybe, they have some injuries we don't know about. Did Elder JV just have a bad game against Lasalle, or is Lasalle sophomore class that good?
It was a JV-B game for Elder… not sure LaSalle played it that way.

When the program isn't where you want it to be, no one is off limits. I don't think a single person on here including myself has blamed him though. The players have to take it upon themselves to take the offseason training to another level.
You’re right, but when you’re dealing with teenagers, it can’t just be “get to work boys” - it’s the adults job to create an environment where that mindset thrives. And that doesn’t happen when half the team doesn’t play in game and stands and watches in practice.

I don’t blame kids for quitting for getting zero opportunities when they’re younger.

It was a JV-B game for Elder… not sure LaSalle played it that way.
Who cares how they played it. If Elders B squad got full game reps against LaSalles A squad, that’s a good thing.

People are always bickering about “well they put their A kids in when we had our B kids in” - guess what, St X does that every week! They don’t let ego get in the way of development.

Damn babies that whine about stuff like that.

Just curious- do none of you have actual kids in high school because you seem completely oblivious to what’s going on with some of these high schools.
Examples:
St. X now let’s all kids in- no matter your scores or grades. They divide them in to houses based on academics. Why do you think their football program has taken off in recent years. Many if their starters would not have gotten in to the school 10+ years ago.

The rumor mill has LaSalle combining with mercy/McCauley and there are already LaSalle freshmen transferring out after the semester.

Just curious- do none of you have actual kids in high school because you seem completely oblivious to what’s going on with some of these high schools.
Examples:
St. X now let’s all kids in- no matter your scores or grades. They divide them in to houses based on academics. Why do you think their football program has taken off in recent years. Many if their starters would not have gotten in to the school 10+ years ago.

The rumor mill has LaSalle combining with mercy/McCauley and there are already LaSalle freshmen transferring out after the semester.
What’s your point? So they changed the landscape of their school to be more competitive. Kudos to them. That’s called vision.

Or is that just cheating? So many whiny babies. Did you just expect them to sit around and do the same thing they’ve always done forever and ever and ever?

Good lord man, the mindset of some of you people is mind boggling.

Examples:

This is completely false.

Examples:

That’s not true and sounds like a bs excuse. The biggest change for X was hiring Coverdale as OC.

The LS rumors have been going on for years. However, if there are kids transferring, Elder should try to scoop them up, regardless if they’re athletes or not.

A bunch of babies whining.
I’m not really whining as I don’t really care all that much whether they win or lose. I’m just here to point out the vast irony and hypocrisy of a school that continues to push out their “higher things” mantra but doesn’t really live up to those ideals with how they operate.

They’re selling themselves short. And I’m sick and tired of all of these blowhards saying they care about the school yet want to continue down the same path as that path is most beneficial for them and theirs. It’s a blatant hypocrisy that needs to be called out. And that’s why I do it.

Examples

That wouldn’t surprise me. At some point its not sustainable. Is it true Mercy/McAuley only has around 70 freshman this year and LaSalle has about 100 again? That would be 3 years in a row of LS being around 100. Mercy has been under 100 in each class for several years and it seems like every year it drops more.

Last edited:
Examples:

I do have kids in HS and not sure what you’re saying is true. Things are a definitely a little “off” now bc of covid; more kids going to private over public. At Moe they have a waiting list for class of 2025; class of 2024 was close as well.
There was no high school placement test last year. Catholic High Schools went based on their grade school grades. This year the test is back. My X parent friends all have said their kids met academic requirements. Perhaps you have inside info to dispute this.

I disagree. It points to development. Elder seems to have fairly regular success at Freshman & JV levels against GCL schools from what I recall, and then struggle when those classes become varsity players.
I think another reason for the success of St. X football is player development as Smarty has mentioned in this thread already and you also seem to be alluding to it here. The current St. X seniors did not have near the success as freshman as they are having now as seniors. Elder beat St. X when these current seniors were freshman but 3 years later things have changed.

Not pointing out any kids specifically, just saying in general as it happens a lot, but the kids that usually dominate in 7th and 8th grade to the point where people think k they’re going to be awesome, are almost always the kids that have either 1) matured first or are 2) 12-18 months older than their peers.

A lot of these kids have physically maxed out early and have dominated just because of these physical attributes. This usually all catches up around sophomore to junior year and a lot of times these same kids don’t take the next step.

This seems to happen a lot with the westside kids and they’re propped up as the second coming in 7th grade.

I think another reason for the success of St. X football is player development as Smarty has mentioned in this thread already and you also seem to be alluding to it here. The current St. X seniors did not have near the success as freshman as they are having now as seniors. Elder beat St. X when these current seniors were freshman but 3 years later things have changed.
But they beat Elder the following yr on JV, so it’s not like this came out of nowhere

I do have kids in HS and not sure what you’re saying is true. Things are a definitely a little “off” now bc of covid; more kids going to private over public. At Moe they have a waiting list for class of 2025; class of 2024 was close as well.
There was no high school placement test last year. Catholic High Schools went based on their grade school grades. This year the test is back. My X parent friends all have said their kids met academic requirements. Perhaps you have inside info to dispute this.
It’s not hard to get into X.

I'm talking more sophomores and juniors. By JV, the 3rd teamer is likely not going to develop into a Varsity starter. It's probably a 1 in a 100 scenario. The freshman yes, there are 3rd team freshman they may be late bloomers or just getting overlooked that may develop. I can think of a ton of examples. However, by JV things are pretty clear who has it and who doesn't.

My point is for all of the underclassman, but more the current sophomores and juniors have to be all in this offseason. No offense to the Lacrosse program, but a Varsity starter or potential varsity starter should not be playing Lacrosse. If they are, they better find time to not miss a single offseason football workout.
This is an unfortunate (and counter-productive) attitude; as someone who played college Division I athletics, and had a kid recruited to a top college Division I team, college coaches (in ALL sports) at the next level both look for and VALUE athletes who are multi-sport athletes--and even multi-sport stars... it tells them that the kid has all-around athletic ability and that they have the ability to learn and grow into more than they are right now-- they are not just football-specific, one-hit wonders.

There is no reason a coach should ever tell a player they can’t play another sport. For one, it’s not their decision.

Now, if playing multiple sports means you’re not getting better in a certain sport and others pass you up, then fine, you play less or don’t make the team.

But if you’re good enough to do them all, then do them all if that’s what you want. Coaches that do this are more about their own ego and control than they are about the kids best interest.

Examples:

The part in bold above is a completely false statement; there is still a very definite set of admission requirements to get into St. X; in fact, one of the reasons that X has reduced its incoming freshmen classes the last couple of years is to maintain academic standards-- with fewer total kids applying for admission recently, it would have necessitated lowering the admission standards, in order to keep enrolling classes of 400 students each year. (It's not the only reason-- but it is certainly an important one.)

Moreover, if your statement had any truth to it (i.e.- the idea that X has only gotten good in football in the last 10+ years), then why did X have its best class EVER (at least as regards football playing talent) 17 years back in 2004 (the class that posted two undefeated state championship seasons in 2005 and 2007)? None of that corresponds with your statements about X's football program "taking off in recent years" because "St. X now let's [sic] all kids in"-- it's not true, and it does not comport with the facts or the record of the last 35+ years (which is when X's football team ACTUALLY started to improve).

Last edited:
The part in bold above is a completely false statement; there is still a very definite set of admission requirements to get into St. X; in fact, one of the reasons that X has reduced its incoming freshmen classes the last couple of years is to maintain academic standards-- with fewer total kids applying for admission recently, it would have necessitated lowering the admission standards, in order to keep enrolling classes of 400 students each year. (It's not the only reason-- but it is certainly an important one.)

Moreover, if your statement had any truth to it (i.e.- the idea that X has only gotten good in football in the last 10+ years), then why did X have its best class EVER (at least as regards football playing talent) 17 years back in 2004 (the class that posted two undefeated state championship seasons in 2005 and 2007)? None of that corresponds with your statements about X's football program "taking off in recent years" because "St. now let's [sic] all kids in"-- it's not true, and it does not comport with the facts or the record of the last 35+ years (which is when X's football team ACTUALLY started to improve).
It’s a defense mechanism. This is the forum of defense mechanisms. Every time a rival school starts to gain some obvious momentum, it’s because of something “questionable” they did.

They rarely look in the mirror or think (admit) In house decisions are what’s holding them back. Someone is always “cheating” or “taking advantage of loopholes”.

Great coaches usual promote multiple sports. Wish Moeller basketball program would be okay with their kids playing other sports, specifically football.

It is not only Moeller's basketball program that pushes players to only play basketball, but their baseball coaches are just as bad or worse at asking their best players to play a single sport. I don't understand this mentality. Specht and StX really push for kids to play multiple sports and I think it pays off

Outside of the STs, I don’t think you can lay any blame on coaches. The OL’s poor play has been crippling. It’s not only been bad for the Offense, but the D is constantly put in a bad position where Offenses are starting drives in Elder territory.

It’s not hard to get into X.
Really? Not only is there the test, but there are also references that need to be provided and grade school transcripts. And if there is any question about any of those, you may have to have an in person interview with a review board. And then there is staying there once you're in.

Really? Not only is there the test, but there are also references that need to be provided and grade school transcripts. And if there is any question about any of those, you may have to have an in person interview with a review board. And then there is staying there once you're in.
Yeah, it’s still not hard to get in. And the first question from that review board is “Did your dad go here?” Don’t sell me this bs that they’re only taking “A” students.

Yeah, it’s still not hard to get in. And the first question from that review board is “Did your dad go here?” Don’t sell me this bs that they’re only taking “A” students.
Nobody said that (here), but, by and large, that is accurate.