Week 4: Elder(2-1) vs. St. Edward(3-0)

Pboy is a fan of the program. Pboy wants outside talent to supplement the feeder kids because he knows it will make them better, which it would. He’s right.

Elder can, and could have always, put the full court press on to go out and get the type of players pboy is looking for. They never have. That honestly will only change with a non legacy leadership change - and that will also likely never happen.

It’s just not what they do. Not saying this as a point of contention, but a point of truth. Sometimes it’s good enough, sometimes it’s not. They more they don’t do it, the bigger the gap will become over time.

But pboy is right - they will not compete with the elites of the state consistently when the depth of talent is this different. Sure, they may pull some upsets and have a lightning in a bottle year, but most years are going to be like this.

The good thing is, they’re still better than 80% of the programs in the state doing things this way.

The bad thing is, they could be a consistent elite powerhouse with a tweak in their world view. But honestly, outside of the parents, there’s not nearly the interest there was in the past so there’s not a lot of noise about taking the next step. They’d rather watch “their” kids play than take the next step.

Last edited:
Pboy is a fan of the program. Pboy wants outside talent to supplement the feeder kids because he knows it will make them better, which it would. He’s right.

Elder can, and could have always, put the full court press on to go out and get the type of players pboy is looking for. They never have. That honestly will only change with a non legacy leadership change - and that will also likely never happen.

It’s just not what they do. Not saying this as a point of contention, but a point of truth. Sometimes it’s good enough, sometimes it’s not. They more they don’t do it, the bigger the gap will become over time.

But pboy is right - they will not compete with the elites of the state consistently when the depth of talent is this different. Sure, they may pull some upsets and have a lightning in a bottle year, but most years are going to be like this.

The good thing is, they’re still better than 80% of the programs in the state doing things this way.

The bad thing is, they could be a consistent elite powerhouse with a tweak in their world view. But honestly, outside of the parents, there’s not nearly the interest there was in the past so there’s not a lot of noise about taking the next step. They’d rather watch “their” kids play than take the next step.
As much as most of us want to see Elder be successful, I think PBoy needs to stop putting so much personal stake into a high school football program. Love Elder, grateful for my time there, still love to support the school, but I'll take UC, Reds or Bengals success over that any day of the week. I'm not sure PBoy is of the same view. Which is a bit much/weird, especially considering he didn't play football there and doesn't have kids there (currently; if he ever settles down and pops out a few rage monsters).

As much as most of us want to see Elder be successful, I think PBoy needs to stop putting so much personal stake into a high school football program. Love Elder, grateful for my time there, still love to support the school, but I'll take UC, Reds or Bengals success over that any day of the week. I'm not sure PBoy is of the same view. Which is a bit much/weird, especially considering he didn't play football there and doesn't have kids there (currently; if he ever settles down and pops out a few rage monsters).
This is kind of what I’m getting at - he treats his Elder fandom much like others treat their professional/college team fandom.

To me, it seems that most Elder people have come to accept their existence. I also believe many don’t want “recruiting” because they’d rather see their own kids and their friends playing vs kids they don’t know. To me, this is very obvious but a lot of people get their parties in a bunch when it’s stated - likely because they don’t want that to go away. They’d rather hang with their buddies at the tailgate and make it a fun experience first and foremost.

But I do agree with pboy that things could be better with a more diverse and non traditional enrollment. But most legacy thought doesn’t agree with it, nor does it seem to be a major priority of the administration.

This is kind of what I’m getting at - he treats his Elder fandom much like others treat their professional/college team fandom.

To me, it seems that most Elder people have come to accept their existence. I also believe many don’t want “recruiting” because they’d rather see their own kids and their friends playing vs kids they don’t know. To me, this is very obvious but a lot of people get their parties in a bunch when it’s stated - likely because they don’t want that to go away. They’d rather hang with their buddies at the tailgate and make it a fun experience first and foremost.

But I do agree with pboy that things could be better with a more diverse and non traditional enrollment. But most legacy thought doesn’t agree with it, nor does it seem to be a major priority of the administration.

I don't know what happened, but there was a time in the 2000s, early 2010s Elder was getting some non feeders that were making a difference on the football field. I'd have to go back through the rosters to remember, but Javari Portis comes to mind. Adam Brown comes to mind. I know I'm forgetting some.

What players from this year's team would you consider "non-feeder"? Besides Drew Ramsey he doesn't count for obvious reasons.

What I’ve noticed is the best players, where in the past were spread out all over the state, have now consolidated into a few great programs around the tri-state. This is largely the result of taking advantage of recruiting open borders.

I don’t necessarily think Elder has gotten worse. To me, they’re about the same they’ve always been. But some of the other programs have gotten significantly better with this influx of concentrated talent.

And Elder is playing a lot of those teams with the tough schedule they play.

IDK why are people personally vested in UC, Xavier, Reds, Bengals? It’s hard to explain.

I don't know what happened, but there was a time in the 2000s, early 2010s Elder was getting some non feeders that were making a difference on the football field. I'd have to go back through the rosters to remember, but Javari Portis comes to mind. Adam Brown comes to mind. I know I'm forgetting some.

What players from this year's team would you consider "non-feeder"? Besides Drew Ramsey he doesn't count for obvious reasons.
The Freshman LB moved from NKY specifically to go to Elder. He went to Victory last yr, but I’d still consider him a non feeder. The Soph LB Dugan went to IHM.

A few yrs ago, Elder hosted the championship games for some inner city football league. That’s a very good way to at least get those kids interested in coming to Elder.

IDK why are people personally vested in UC, Xavier, Reds, Bengals? It’s hard to explain.
It makes much more sense to root passionately for professionals than it is to be overly passionate for high school athletics. Like I said, it's all well and good to continue to support and follow them, I just think you take it too far and too personally.

Yeah, maybe. Personally, if/when my kid goes to Elder, if he's good enough, he'll play. If he's not, he won't. That won't stop me from hanging with buddies at the tailgate and cheering the team on. If he's a benchwarmer and has the opportunity to get in, I'll promptly cheer my head off just because I'll be excited for him and it'll probably make his day. At the end of the day, I just hope he's involved in things; whether it's sports, glee club, art, band, whatever. I think more people are like this than you realize, but the minority that aren't like that, are very loud about it and you're misinterpreting that.

Outstanding factual post????????

It makes much more sense to root passionately for professionals than it is to be overly passionate for high school athletics. Like I said, it's all well and good to continue to support and follow them, I just think you take it too far and too personally.
That’s where I disagree. I don’t feel any attachment to our pro sports teams. I follow them and want them to win, but I didn’t go to Bengals high school.

• Love
Reactions: 4GX
Outstanding factual post????????
You didn’t go to Elder. And I’m not judging you bc of that, but don’t act like I’m weird for being invested in my high school, when you’re following a school you and your kids didn’t go to.

You're Uncle Rico
No, I just happen to think Elder Football is more unique than the Bengals. Let’s face it, the Bengals are a garbage organization and will likely never win anything worthwhile with the current ownership. Maybe if I grew up in Green Bay, I’d feel this way about the Packers?

• Love
Reactions: 4GX