Week 2: Elder(1-0) vs Pickerington Central(1-0)

ElderHSfan02

I think this is Pickerington Central's first visit to the PIT Friday night.

Week 1 Results
Elder 42
Covington Catholic(KY) 21

Pickerington Central 42
Olentangy Liberty 0

Pickerington Central is usually a run heavy offense. This should be a lower scoring game than last week.

Elder 24
Pickerington Central 21

The good news is Sonny Styles is gone. He reclassified and enrolled early at Ohio St. This increases Elder's changes immensely.

The good news is Sonny Styles is gone. He reclassified and enrolled early at Ohio St. This increases Elder's changes immensely.
That kid’s a freak. He’s already in OSU’s 2 Deep.

Elder played PC tough last yr and had a chance to take the lead in the 4th qtr after a fumble recovery in PC territory, but they couldn’t finish off the drive. The OL will be challenged immensely again, but they’re better equipped this season to handle the pressure.

I'm surprised the 2 schools did not agree to play a freshman and JV game. PC freshman and JV have no game scheduled this week. Elder freshman have game with Oak Hills and the JV is off. It's only a 2 hour bus ride.

I like these type of games because it really shows who can contend. I think Elder can hang around with Pick Central if they're able to stay somewhat balanced on offense. Once you become one-dimensional, teams like Pick Central can eat you up. I'm predicting a close loss, but think E can pull this one off:

PC - 24
E - 17

I like these type of games because it really shows who can contend. I think Elder can hang around with Pick Central if they're able to stay somewhat balanced on offense. Once you become one-dimensional, teams like Pick Central can eat you up. I'm predicting a close loss, but think E can pull this one off:

PC - 24
E - 17

Elder is scoring more than 17 points especially if Carson Browne is back this week. PC lost 4 all state defenders from last season. PC will need to score more than 24 to beat Elder that is for sure.

Elder is scoring more than 17 points especially if Carson Browne is back this week. PC lost 4 all state defenders from last season. PC will need to score more than 24 to beat Elder that is for sure.
I could see it happening, but as someone else mentioned, against similar competition, PC has a very ball-controlled offense. They shorten games with their running attack. That's why I think it will be lower scoring, not that Elder isn't capable.

Ramsey seems to abandon the run when they get down. I think you have to stay the course and grind it out and keep it close for 4 quarters. Punts are ok in games like this.

I had similar sentiments when Elder matched up with PC in the 2019 State Finals, but that game ended 21-14. Even the first meeting between these two schools back in 2008 saw Elder down 10-7 at halftime and ended 24-10. PC has a way of slowing down the game and chewing through big chunks of clock.

I had similar sentiments when Elder matched up with PC in the 2019 State Finals, but that game ended 21-14. Even the first meeting between these two schools back in 2008 saw Elder down 10-7 at halftime and ended 24-10. PC has a way of slowing down the game and chewing through big chunks of clock.

It's a good point. I'm hoping with the Elder front being better this season PC will not hold the ball as long.

Browne being back will help, but I don’t how much more value a TE adds to Offensive output. In fact, given the matchups, Rolfes acting as a blocking TE to help the RT, might be more important in this game.

Browne being back will help, but I don’t how much more value a TE adds to Offensive output. In fact, given the matchups, Rolfes acting as a blocking TE to help the RT, might be more important in this game.

If your receivers can't get open, because of the speed of PC secondary/linebackers then a tall target will help to put the ball high where the defender can't touch it.

PC defense looks to be very good as usual. Last year, their defense was probably a 9.5 out of 10. This year probably more like an 8 out of 10. Very good, but a notch below last year's defense.

Looking at the box score from last year, Elder actually controlled the time of possession by a lot. I would have not guessed that.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Pickerington Central Tigers.

Inside the Tigers​

•Coach: Jay Sharrett, 20th season

•Top players: Rasheem Biles (DB/WR), Elijah Carter (LB), Isaiah Crozier (DB/WR), Brock Egan (OL/DL), Kobi Gorman (DL/LB/TE), R.J. Keuchler (WR/LB/P), Braden Mantooth (QB), Kasey Middendorf (WR) and Keilan Smith (OL/DL)

•Key losses: Kobe Asamoah, Reece Brancifort, C.J. Doggette, Dakari Frazier, Tyler Gillison, Isaiah Henderson, Kyle Imboden, Olando Kamara and Sonny Styles

As a way to celebrate the 20th year since the district split into two high schools, Pickerington Central has invited alumni to attend its opener Aug. 19 at home against Olentangy Liberty.

Although it will mark just the third time during that span that the Tigers haven’t played either a road game or at a neutral site to begin the season, it doesn’t mean anything significant has changed with their philosophy.

As has been the case throughout coach Jay Sharrett’s tenure, which began the same year as the district split, Central expects to be as prepared and as deep and talented as any team in Ohio.

The current group’s belief in the program’s philosophies has been evident to Sharrett since shortly after the Tigers had a five-year run of making it to at least a Division I state semifinal snapped last fall with a 21-14 triple-overtime loss to Upper Arlington in the Region 3 final.

“One thing I really like is that morale is really high,” Sharrett said. “Morale is different than excitement. Excitement comes and goes. This was a grind. Starting in January, we worked all the way through the whole month of June because we got out of school in the middle of May. Morale is different because you come in and do your workouts and do the stuff you do when you might not feel like it. (We lost last year) in the fourth round of the playoffs, and what’s neat about it is that if we do this right, we’ll be in this cramped, small locker room hopefully pushing into deep November again this year.”

There were 25 seniors a year ago when Central avenged a 13-10 overtime loss to Pickerington North in the regular season by beating the Panthers 27-7 in a regional semifinal before losing to UA to finish 12-2.

In addition, defensive back Sonny Styles graduated a year early and is now playing for Ohio State.

There are 40 seniors on this year's roster, including a pair of Division I commits in Rasheem Biles (DB/WR/RB) and Kobi Gorman (DL/TE/WR), who are heading to Pittsburgh and Miami University, respectively.

“We’re starting to come together as a group,” Biles said. “We should definitely go farther than last year. Our expectations are way higher and there’s a lot of motivation because we’re trying to get to the state championship this year. Everybody wants to start for Pickerington Central, so the harder you work, the better you’re going to get, and everybody is getting better.”

Mantooth to pace balanced offense for Pickerington Central​

Senior Braden Mantooth returns at quarterback after completing 102 of 169 passes for 1,068 yards with eight touchdowns and rushing for 318 yards and two touchdowns on 86 carries.

Seniors Kasey Middendorf and Ethan Pinkins, who had 12 and 13 catches, respectively, should be among the leaders of a deep receiving corps that also should feature seniors Derek Grimes, Xavier Mattox and Gavin Meek.

Gorman, a two-way starter since his freshman season, is at tight end. Senior R.J. Keuchler also figures to play a key role at tight end and receiver.

Senior Knowledge Gray is projected to be the No. 1 running back after rushing for 183 yards last year, but Biles and Middendorf also should be options.

Seniors Brock Egan and Keilan Smith are the top returnees on the line and are at center and left tackle, respectively, but Sharrett also has been impressed with the growth of junior Justin Terry at left guard. Senior Mamoon Choudhry is expected to be at right guard, with senior Blair McMurray at right tackle.

“We’ve got some new guys on the offensive line, but I think they’re going to do very well,” Mantooth said. “I think we had what it takes to win a state title last year, so for me, it’s a motivating factor to show what we have coming back and to prove why we’re one of the best teams in central Ohio and the state.”

Biles, Gorman among leaders for Tigers defense​

Biles and Gorman, both of whom made 89 tackles last season, should line up at free safety and tackle, respectively, in most of Central’s schemes.

“Our team is starting to get a really close bond with each other and starting to know where everyone is at on the field,” Gorman said. “Our coaches do a really good job of preparing us to win.”

Senior Troy Lane, who won the 100 and 200 meters and ran on the championship 400 relay at the Division I state track and field meet in June, had 65 tackles and five sacks and is at safety.

Senior Isaiah Crozier, who had two interceptions, and senior Zavion Mattox are at cornerback.

Braylen Landrum should be among the key linemen along with Gorman and senior Gino Williams, who had 54 tackles last season.

Senior Elijah Carter should lead the linebacker unit after finishing with 39 tackles and two tackles for loss last season.

Harper, Goulet lead Tigers special teams
Senior Isaiah Harper, who also figures to contribute in the secondary, should be among the top members of the return unit. Last season, he returned six kickoffs, including one for a touchdown, and 13 punts.

Junior Terrance Alexander and Pinkins are other options in the return game.

Sophomore Carson Goulet is the top returnee at kicker after making 20 extra points and one field goal. He also is an option at punter.

Pickerington Central lineup​

Offense

Quarterbacks: *Braden Mantooth (sr., 6-4, 180), Terrance Alexander (jr., 5-9, 165)

Running backs: *Knowledge Gray (sr., 5-9, 170), Alexander, Rasheem Biles (sr., 6-2, 175), Aaron Heller (jr., 5-8, 195), Kasey Middendorf (sr., 5-9, 160)

Receivers: *Biles, *Middendorf, Cole Clipner (jr., 6-1, 165), Derek Grimes (sr., 6-2, 165), Xavier Mattox (sr., 5-9, 155), Gavin Meek (sr., 5-10, 185), Ethan Pinkins (sr., 5-8, 155), Dominic Shaw (jr., 6-2, 170)

Tight end: *Kobi Gorman (sr., 6-3, 260), R.J. Keuchler (sr., 6-5, 225)

Linemen: *Mamoon Choudhry (sr., 6-2, 250), *Brock Egan (sr., 5-11, 275), *Blair McMurray (sr., 5-11, 260), *Keilan Smith (sr., 6-3, 315), *Justin Terry (jr., 6-4, 285), Jared Rivera (sr., 5-10, 245), Levi Smith (jr., 6-2, 225)
Defense

Linemen: *Gorman, *Braylen Landrum (so., 6-2, 230), Egan, Keuchler, Smith, Dae’Yuan Thompson-Green (jr., 5-11, 250), Gino Williams (sr., 5-11, 250)

Linebackers: *Elijah Carter (sr., 6-0, 205), *C.J. Flenory (jr., 5-10, 205), *Kendrick Mensah (sr., 6-3, 215), Williams

Secondary: *Biles, *Isaiah Crozier (sr., 6-1, 170), *Isaiah Harper (sr., 5-10, 170), *Troy Lane (sr., 5-10, 160), *Zavion Mattox (sr., 5-9, 155), Caleb Taylor (sr., 6-1, 190), Terhon Walton (sr., 6-0, 175)

Special teams

Kicker: *Carson Goulet (so., 5-8, 150)

Punter: *Goulet, Nick Klipfer (so., 5-10, 160), Keuchler

Returners: *Alexander, *Harper, *Pinkins, Biles, Grimes, Middendorf

Long snapper: *Meek

2022 SCHEDULE
Aug. 19 vs. Olentangy Liberty
Aug. 26 at Cincinnati Elder
Sept. 2 at Huber Heights Wayne
Sept. 9 vs. Pickerington North
Sept. 16 at Gahanna
*Sept. 23 at Newark
*Sept. 30 vs. Central Crossing
*Oct. 7 at Groveport
*Oct. 14 vs. Lancaster
*Oct. 21 at Reynoldsburg

2021 RESULTS
(12-2 overall, 5-0 OCC-Buckeye)

Massillon Washington W, 26-7
Cincinnati Elder W, 28-10
Wexford (Pa.) North Allegheny W, 35-0
Pickerington North L, 13-10 (OT)
Hilliard Bradley W, 38-21
*Newark W, 67-0
*Central Crossing W, 49-6
*Groveport W, 37-0
*Lancaster W, 34-8
*Reynoldsburg W, 28-20

PLAYOFFS
Grove City W, 48-7
Bradley W, 28-10
Pickerington North W, 27-7
Upper Arlington L, 21-14 (3OT)

*League contest

Everyone always talks about schools that have 2 way players at this level of high school and how it shouldn't be done. PC, Colerain, and others have been successful doing it for years. I get that it's not ideal but I think Elder could do that with a kid like Flowers and a few others year in and year out.

Everyone always talks about schools that have 2 way players at this level of high school and how it shouldn't be done. PC, Colerain, and others have been successful doing it for years. I get that it's not ideal but I think Elder could do that with a kid like Flowers and a few others year in and year out.
The kids most successful at are almost always elite athletes. They don't take nearly the amount of hits and abuse as they are likely the most elusive on the field as well. These guys are in a different athletic tier.

I think people have seen that playing both ways doesn’t mean you play every snap on both sides. It means using players situationally for 5-10 plays a game. It’s smart even if you have depth, because you give your best athletes more opportunities to impact the game.

The kids most successful at are almost always elite athletes. They don't take nearly the amount of hits and abuse as they are likely the most elusive on the field as well. These guys are in a different athletic tier.
The only caveat would be the guys playing both sides of the Line. I can see where that takes a toll on a player.

He was hurt almost every game last year. He probably should stay on one side except in game ending situations.

Elder has done this recently. Drew Ramsey played some D last year, Larkins played some D, as well as Joe Royer. Mostly passing or big pressure downs.

A 2 hour drive to play in The Pitt isn’t easy at all… With that being said Central isn’t Cov Cath though so I hope the Panthers players and the fans bring it. Would love to see Elder win this one but my guess is Central is just too much. 28-10 Tigers

A 2 hour drive to play in The Pitt isn’t easy at all… With that being said Central isn’t Cov Cath though so I hope the Panthers players and the fans bring it. Would love to see Elder win this one but my guess is Central is just too much. 28-10 Tigers
You bring up a good point about the travel. Elder needs to start hot out of the gate if they want to win. It might take the 1st Qtr before PC gets their legs under them.

It's hilarious how people think a 2 hour bus trip is going have an effect on 17 year olds, most of whom will be sleeping or relaxing with headphones the whole trip. LOL

Greetings from the statewide side of the site!

I know you guys have been asked this before, but I can’t easily locate the posts and searching “parking Regina”, “parking Vincent” and “parking Elder” didn’t turn up much.

Parking
• I saw that Seton has (had?) paid parking, but is that available only to Elder folks who bought a season-long pass? Or can anyone pay the fee for the night and be accommodated?

• If not Seton, what streets usually have parking available 25-30 minutes before kickoff? Earlier than that? If there’s anything particularly notable with way-finding or one-ways, I’m all ears. Might be able to get in earlier — anything that’s visitor-friendly and doesn’t step on your people’s toes for parkingI’m interested in.

• Are there any areas I should avoid? Safety concerns, but also any streets that are permit-only (not a resident of Cincinnati, don’t know if you guys have that or not.)

Traffic
71 -> 126/Reagan Cross-County highway -> 75 -> Harrison Ave/Western Hills Viaduct. Mid-afternoon inflow from Columbus coming into the city. Any construction or speed traps with the non-interstate routes?

Any info you guys can give me, I’d be thankful for!