Week 2: Colerain

Agreed that X was very evenly matched with the top of the GMC last year. They proved that they were a good team that came together at the right time and got on a roll where they just believed they were going to win. The fact that Clifford really came on in the end helped a lot.

We will see how the season plays out this year but I think this year's team is much more talented than last year's.

Your QB was the difference in last years playoff run. His running ability shook defenses up. I also think the GMC is down this year compared to the last couple of years though X will still probably have to get by a dangerous Colerain and one of their GCLS brethren (I'm betting it will be Moeller) in Region 4.

BTW, my very early take on Region 3, which is the likely opponent of the Region 4 champ, is that while it is strong from top to bottom there is no dominating team like Wayne to worry about as Wayne appears to be down this year.

Of course since we've only played three games this season everything I posted above may prove to be entirely wrong by the time the playoffs rolls around.

Middletown is the only GMC school to lead the series versus StX (5-4) They defeated the Bombers 5 times between 1975-1989, then lost 4 games between 1990 and 2012.

That Middletown game in '98 was my 1st Bomber football game (freshman year). Most notable for the fact that Middletown apparently forgot to pay their electric bills. Also, what's a Middie.

But I digress. #memories #longblueline

Your QB was the difference in last years playoff run. His running ability shook defenses up. I also think the GMC is down this year compared to the last couple of years though X will still probably have to get by a dangerous Colerain and one of their GCLS brethren (I'm betting it will be Moeller) in Region 4.

BTW, my very early take on Region 3, which is the likely opponent of the Region 4 champ, is that while it is strong from top to bottom there is no dominating team like Wayne to worry about as Wayne appears to be down this year.

Of course since we've only played three games this season everything I posted above may prove to be entirely wrong by the time the playoffs rolls around.

Colerain better hope that the GMC can get them enough Harbin pts to make the playoffs. In 2009, despite an 8-2 record, they didn't make the playoffs because Elder and X both beat them to start the season. I think they also beat Lou Male, who did not win very many games that year.

Colerain better hope that the GMC can get them enough Harbin pts to make the playoffs. In 2009, despite an 8-2 record, they didn't make the playoffs because Elder and X both beat them to start the season. I think they also beat Lou Male, who did not win very many games that year.

It would be interesting to see where they stand if they run the table...which I think they will....who can give them a serious challenge at this point? Maybe FF?

I see where you are going, but the Cards will have no problem making the playoffs this year with an 8-2 record and the way things are shaping up, they will host a playoff game as well.

In 2009, R4 had Wayne, Centerville and an undefeated Anderson team. None of those players are in R4 this year and R4 is way, WAY down this season.

-CardinalsFan

I see where you are going, but the Cards will have no problem making the playoffs this year with an 8-2 record and the way things are shaping up, they will host a playoff game as well.

In 2009, R4 had Wayne, Centerville and an undefeated Anderson team. None of those players are in R4 this year and R4 is way, WAY down this season.

-CardinalsFan

Given that half of the region makes it, I can't imagine Colerain would have an issue even if they were to drop one (which I don't expect to happen).

-CardinalsFan

Exactly right CF. If the Cards run the table in the GMC they are in and host a 1st round playoff game.

BTW, if a GMC tam can't win the whole thing, and I'm doubting any GMC team is strong enough to do it this year then I'm rooting for X because I think they have the strongest team top to bottom in SWO and I prefer the D1 trophy sitting down here then taking up shelf space in NEO.

Exactly right CF. If the Cards run the table in the GMC they are in and host a 1st round playoff game.

BTW, if a GMC tam can't win the whole thing, and I'm doubting any GMC team is strong enough to do it this year then I'm rooting for X because I think they have the strongest team top to bottom in SWO and I prefer the D1 trophy sitting down here then taking up shelf space in NEO.

"If"?

Not sure your question GhOst but to clarify in the playoffs I root for Fairfield until they're eliminated then the other GMC schools until they're eliminated and then any remaining Greater Cincinnati area schools. At the present time I don't see a GMC team strong enough to beat either Saint I or Eds. That could change by the playoffs. Among the D1 GCLS schools I see X a step above Moeller & Elder so they're the team I believe has the best chance to keep the trophy down here.

At present my expectation is that X will be representing Region 4 in the semifinal playoff round this year and that I'll be watching that game on Spectrum Cable and rooting for X. Of course a lot can change between now and then but currently that's the way I see the rest of the season panning out.

I look for Paris Johnson and Raja Bridges to get more PT this Friday at LT and safety respectively.
Both looked great in their limited time.
Also would like to see Stockman get more PT in the defensive secondary.
With Specht, Wittrock, Kreimer and Shamsi catching the ball I don't see him getting much PT on offense.

3 guys who played sparingly in the Week 2 Colerain game all start now:
Johnson at LT, Bridges at SS and Stockman at FS all start now.

LaSalle's D looked good for 3 reasons: Leyendecker's injury, an inexperienced Cardinal OLine and a one-dimensional Cardinal offense that wasn't prepared to have Smith-Moore at the helm.

Whyle is not a major concern for 2 reasons: the Bomber front 6 are going to put so much pressure on Merritt that he's going to have a tough time getting him the ball and with the "graduation" of scholarship players Turner, Jarrell-White and Smith there is no significant Lancer ground game to open up a passing game.

All proved true

He looks good in a StX Football shirt!
He's got Fox, Payne and Newman all playing at a high level.

Can still see him running the Colerain offense in the 2010 second round playoff game at Nippert.
The Bombers went up 24-10 halfway through the 3rd quarter but Ty led the Cards down the field on the next possession and scored on a 5 yard run to cut the score to 24-17.
Then in the 4th quarter he tosses a 31 yard TD pass only to watch the Colerain kicker miss the XP and X wins the thriller 24-23.
Then the Bombers fall short to Wayne and Braxton Miller the next weekend at Welcome Stadium 28-24

14_-Tyler_Williams_-_Running_Backs.JPG

This is a great pic.
Scout team QB again this week

So the Cards DLine goes 197-200-213, all under 6 foot (5'7"-5'11")
The Cardinal LBs (235-206-225) are bigger than the linemen

This is still the case

The OLine is decent size (220-240-250-290-300), just no starters from last year

They chucked the 300lber for a guy 60lbs lighter

In the defensive secondary is a green sophomore and Hicks and Jones are pulling double duty so Wolf should be able to find an open Specht, Fox, Kreimer, Wittrock and Shamsi from time to time ;)

:thumb:

Let's relive the last 6:42 and OT of the game!!!

With 6:42 left in the game and the Bombers trailing 14-0 in a torrential downpour
Cam Specht fielded the Cardinal punt at the X 24 and returned it 5 yards to the 29 and the fun was on.......

wolf on a keeper for 2 yards to the 31
wolf pass complete to wittrock for 13 yards to the 44
wolf pass complete to kreimer for 13 yards to the cardinal 43
wolf pass incomplete intended for kreimer
*wolf amazing scramble makes multiple cardinals miss and takes it to the cardinal 30 yard line
wolf pass complete to specht for 9 yards to the 21
wolf pass complete to witrock for 11 yards to the 10
wolf pass to corner of end zone incomplete intended for shamsi
*wolf pass complete to specht, nifty cut jump and 10 yard scamper to the end zone for the td, xp good;
colerain 14-7

yesss!

With 5:16 left Donny Stock booms kickoff into the end zone for a touchback
Smith-Moore carries up the middle for 2 yards stopped by Bomber front line
Smith-Moore carried off left tackle for 1 yard
Leyendecker flushed out of the pocket carries for 3 yards stopped by Childs and Ferguson
Colerain punt fielded by Specht at StX 44 yard line where he is dropped immediately

Here we go!

With 2:54 remaining Wolf scrambles out of bounds for 3 yard loss
Wolf pass complete to Wittrock for 14 yards for 1st down to Colerain 45 yard line
Wolf pass complete to Specht for 13 yards to the 32
Wolf pass complete to Specht for 4 yards to the 28
Wolf pass incomplete intended for Kreimer
Wolf pass incomplete intended for Wittrock
*On 4th and 6 with 2:24 left Wolf is flushed from pocket scrambles left jumps back behind line of scrimmage and finds Wittrock for 11 yards for the first down to the Colerain 17
Wolf complete to Kreimer, catches it at the 8 and takes it to the 3
Fox rushes 3 yards for the TD and Stock connects on the PAT to tie the game at 14 with 1:54 left

:banana:

Jones fields the kickoff near the visitor sidelines at the 10 yard line and running east-west is tackled at the 8
Leyendecker is sacked by Nate Arthur loss of 2 to the 6
Leyendecker is dropped by Kiessling for a 4 yard loss to the 2
Pace takes it over left tackle for 3 yards to the 5 where it is 4th down
The punt from the back of the end zone is fair caught by Specht at the Colerain 25 with 7 seconds remaining.

Come on baby!

Bombers OT 1st Series
Wolf complete to Specht for 6 to the 14 and face mask takes the ball to the 7
Wolf scrambles out of bounds for 2 yard loss to the 9
Fox carries up the middle for 8 yards to the 1
Wolf QB keeper for the TD and victory

Last year's post season continues

:party: