Week 13 Div 5 Cardinal Mooney (6-6) vs South Range (12-0)

I don’t really know what Mooney has seen all year. I’m sure it’s way better than SR. That said, Skripac is the real deal. So is Lindstrom. So is there front 7. And Leon is very good and the rest of their skill is solid.

And SR largely obliterated the NE8. They’re good. I haven’t a clue how they compare to the rest of Mooney’s schedule, but I do think it’ll be a really tough game for Mooney. Like, I’d have taken SR to beat the banged up Norwayne by 21-28.

JFK take your tuition and stop saying your spending it on the education and GOD.
Build your own dam stadium or shut the HELL up
99% college placement. Two straight years of putting kids into the military academies. They don't have to "say" they spend it on education. Proof is in the pudding.

P.S. Its spelled *damn.

P.S.S. None of this changes the fact that Girard's turf is terrible.

The way I see it is that Mooney played Ursuline tough and could have conceivably won if things fell the right way for them. Granted part of that was Mooney playing well and part of that was Ursuline not playing well.
Ursuline is better than South Range, as such it is definitely feasible for Mooney to win and keep it close all night.
Interestingly South Range is 2nd in strength of schedule and Mooney is 10th, Mooney's is weighed down by 3 cupcakes in East, Lutheran East and Brush, but they played the tougher individual opponents while South Range only had 2 weaker opponents in Lakeview and Niles.

SR is one of the better teams I got to watch this year. But The NE8 was weaker than past years and the level of speed and size the last 7-8 weeks is nothing close to what Mooney scheduled. If the game is close that experience puts Mooney over the top but if SR plays to their ability they should win, maybe big. If we were saying SR was playing Harding, Big Red or Ursuline this week I would think they would be the underdog in all 3 games.
Mooney 28-21

SR is one of the better teams I got to watch this year. But The NE8 was weaker than past years and the level of speed and size the last 7-8 weeks is nothing close to what Mooney scheduled. If the game is close that experience puts Mooney over the top but if SR plays to their ability they should win, maybe big. If we were saying SR was playing Harding, Big Red or Ursuline this week I would think they would be the underdog in all 3 games.
Mooney 28-21
No doubt…

let me rephrase my statement. One of the top groups in the small schools in the area. I know for sure that the bigger area schools are loaded with talent. Meant no disrespect. Our valley has some top D1 prospects which makes this area nice to be from. I certainly would not compare South Range to any of the top tier better teams.
Understood - South Range definitely has my respect also. Excellent program and classy families and fans. This is a nice matchup for the community and should be a great experience for the kids of both schools.

Can't believe I'm seeing South Range being picked by 2 or three scores. 🤫
While I'd love to see that, this will be a real battle.

I'm taking Mooney 21-14 after comparing schedules I don't think it's close with the level of competition each team has played through the regular season.I think we kind of have to take that into consideration plan of regular season schedule definitely helps you for the playoffs IMO

The thing is, you would have said the same thing about Norwayne. And I know Mooney won, but Norwayne was (IMO) one false start penalty away from tying the game at the end.

And SR played a way better schedule than Norwayne and is, IMO, considerably better.

Even my wife is rooting for South Range. Our niece, great niece I think it would be, is your niece's daughter your great niece? Anyway, she is a cheerleader for SR so I'm the only one hoping for a Mooney win.

Having said that I have the utmost respect for coach Yeagley and his staff. They have built a great program there. I do think SR is a solid 14-17 point favorite here. I'm just hoping Mooney's D can keep them in the game and they can somehow steal a win. Hoping for a great game with no injuries and that the winner of this game wins it all. Good luck to both teams.

GO CARDS!

Expecting a good game. But if Mooney can't win a D5 regional semi-final after playing a weak schedule, they should reconsider consolidating with Ursuline.
Almost every, if not every, game Mooney played was D4 and higher. They played Ursuline, Chaney, Steubenville, Boardman, Harding, Linsly Academy and Lake Catholic. They also knocked off the 4th & 5th seeds. You think that's a weak schedule relative to who South Range plays? I still give the edge to South Range, but I hope it's a competitive game.

The thing is, you would have said the same thing about Norwayne. And I know Mooney won, but Norwayne was (IMO) one false start penalty away from tying the game at the end.

And SR played a way better schedule than Norwayne and is, IMO, considerably better.
Norwayne was only kept in that game by the refs. It was absolutely biased and a black mark against OHSAA's reputation.

I don’t think SR is more athletic then any position on the Ursuline team, that’s just keeping it 100, and Mooney doesn’t run the ball anymore, they’re a pass first offense now, sure they run too, but primarily they throw it more then run it with success.

Mooney is very good at stopping the run, skirpac will need to have a really good game for the raiders

That being said, I see this game going in favor of the raiders, probably 31-17 some score around there, would surprise me if Mooney kept it closer tho
Yeah, I have it 28-14 Raiders.

If South Range plays the best game and Mooney plays their best game South Range wins by 20 points.
Struthers lost by 10 against South Range and Mooney has a better team than Struthers this year. One score losses against Boardman, Ursuline & Chaney could all have easily fallen differently.

Struthers lost by 10 against South Range and Mooney has a better team than Struthers this year. One score losses against Boardman, Ursuline & Chaney could all have easily fallen differently.
I believe South Range had 5 or 6 turnovers against Struthers, but Struthers couldn't capitalize on them.

Yeah, if SR is -6 in turnovers on Friday then Mooney will win with ease.

There's not any real comparables in schedule. I guess you can kinda look at CCC. SR was up on CCC 34-7 going into the 4th and ended up winning 34-21. CCC beat Norwayne in a toss-up game (before Norwayne started losing some key kids, *I THINK*) and CCC beat Lake Catholic by 10.

The further reach is University School. They played Kenston to a 40-33 game in the first round (US actually stopped Kenston w/ 6 minutes left and had chance to tie, but failed). Kenston, I think is pretty good (they demolished Chaney). I wasn't particularly sold on US, so maybe this game was an aberration. Dunno. But SR crushed US.

That's about the most you can get out of looking at schedules and it's almost nothing. If a tiny sliver at most.

As an aside, the more I look at schedules and the way teams are playing, the more I like Perry to come out of R17. And I *love* Garaway's defense.

I believe South Range had 5 or 6 turnovers against Struthers, but Struthers couldn't capitalize on them.
Mooney's defense is elite this year so it should be fun to watch. Their offense has been flashy at times, but overall inconsistent and undisciplined. They're still a couple players away and will come up two touchdowns short; however, Mooney's 2023 incoming Freshman class will be the best class they've seen in a decade. I predict their next state championship bid will be 2024 or 2025.

Yeah, if SR is -6 in turnovers on Friday then Mooney will win with ease.

There's not any real comparables in schedule. I guess you can kinda look at CCC. SR was up on CCC 34-7 going into the 4th and ended up winning 34-21. CCC beat Norwayne in a toss-up game (before Norwayne started losing some key kids, *I THINK*) and CCC beat Lake Catholic by 10.

The further reach is University School. They played Kenston to a 40-33 game in the first round (US actually stopped Kenston w/ 6 minutes left and had chance to tie, but failed). Kenston, I think is pretty good (they demolished Chaney). I wasn't particularly sold on US, so maybe this game was an aberration. Dunno. But SR crushed US.

That's about the most you can get out of looking at schedules and it's almost nothing. If a tiny sliver at most.

As an aside, the more I look at schedules and the way teams are playing, the more I like Perry to come out of R17. And I *love* Garaway's defense.
You can forget the Chaney/ Kenston game, because Chaney had a bunch of key starters out for disciplinary reasons.

I do think Mooney will pose a challenge to the LoS on the defensive side of the ball. I think it'll be tough for SR to run consistently. They'll need Skripac to be good, and he has been. I'd expect Mooney's secondary to not be grossly overmatched by SR's WRs -- which is usually the case for SR opponents. And, more to the point, it'll be a fairly even matchup in the secondary.

I'm not particularly concerned about Mooney running the ball. I expect SR to be really good on the LoS when Mooney is on offense. What I'm not sure of his how they'll handle Mooney's passing game, AND, scrambling QBs are an issue. SR has a pretty good pass rush, but often that pass rush will get pressue but lose contain and give up some plays. That'll be an issue.

*IF* SR can effectively run the ball then I think it'll be a pretty comfortable win. But right now I think han SR will be a little more one-diminesional then they'd like to be, and it'll be 7ish point game with SR likely to win. JMO.