Week 12: Austintown Fitch (7-3) vs Walsh Jesuit (10-1)

Wow, this thread is quiet. I will say, I reached out to the Walsh AD yesterday for some info regarding handicap seating on the away side for a family member who would like to attend. He was very helpful and friendly. I'm looking forward to checking out the Walsh Athletic Complex. I have a feeling this is going to be a high scoring game that comes down to turnovers. Only time will tell. Go Falcons!

Walsh average 42 points per game but gives up 22. They got killed by Hoban but have played well in their other games. The defense can be shaky at times, giving up big plays in many of their games.
Fitch is probably the 2nd or 3rd best team on Walsh’s schedule so far, behind only Hoban and maybe Lake Catholic.

The key for the Warriors is to limit the big plays and establish the run to set up the pass. Walsh will probably be as healthy as they’ve been since week 5 with Sherman back playing MLB and RB. His replacements have played well in his absence but they don’t have his leadership ability right now.

Never been to a Fitch home or away game. How do the fans travel?

Seems like a 45 minute drive to Cuyahoga Falls.

Walsh average 42 points per game but gives up 22. They got killed by Hoban but have played well in their other games. The defense can be shaky at times, giving up big plays in many of their games.
Fitch is probably the 2nd or 3rd best team on Walsh’s schedule so far, behind only Hoban and maybe Lake Catholic.

The key for the Warriors is to limit the big plays and establish the run to set up the pass. Walsh will probably be as healthy as they’ve been since week 5 with Sherman back playing MLB and RB. His replacements have played well in his absence but they don’t have his leadership ability right now.
Hmm, interesting.

Travel tip for Fitch fans. I would run the turnpike to RT8 south. RT 76 to RT 8 through Akron is a disaster just about every day but Friday’s around 5 o’clock it gets extra stupid. Plus Hoban is playing at home.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

In order for Fitch to win,the staff and players will have to give their best effort/ performance of the season,trying something a little different on defense to slow down the Walsh run game. Must get stops while eliminating big plays and constant long drives. If they can come close to matching the Warriors physicality, I give them a chance. On offense, we must establish some type of run game, while also taking chances downfield and over the middle. Obviously this all depends on how well we play in the trenches. Hoping just once we can play a game without any or very few unnecessary and untimely penalties. Good luck to both teams, looking like a beautiful night for playoff football!

No idea what to expect from Walsh. They seem to be out of sorts after the Hoban massacre.

Interested to see how this plays out tonight.

Walsh looked improved on Defense this year until the Hoban game and Sherman going down against SVSM. They have looked very sketchy since the injury. Walsh has tons of RB's so if they have success on the ground, they could churn it out all night. As mentioned here, Walsh defensive concerns are giving up deep balls in pass coverage and big chunk plays on the ground. They also like to give up huge kick returns, this is completely avoidable and they cant have a lapse in focus. Which team is going to come out pumped up and who wants it more?

Walsh looked improved on Defense this year until the Hoban game and Sherman going down against SVSM. They have looked very sketchy since the injury. Walsh has tons of RB's so if they have success on the ground, they could churn it out all night. As mentioned here, Walsh defensive concerns are giving up deep balls in pass coverage and big chunk plays on the ground. They also like to give up huge kick returns, this is completely avoidable and they cant have a lapse in focus. Which team is going to come out pumped up and who wants it more?
Exactly

I’m believing Fitch puts together their best game tonight. They can absolutely win this game. #s 1,30,88 and a couple linemen jump off in the games I’ve caught on YouTube for Walsh. No doubt they are a very good team despite laying an egg against Hoban. If Austintown can get a strong start it will be a ballgame. Hopefully the offensive and defensive lines come together now that they got ten games under their belts. Looking forward to the game.

I’m believing Fitch puts together their best game tonight. They can absolutely win this game. #s 1,30,88 and a couple linemen jump off in the games I’ve caught on YouTube for Walsh. No doubt they are a very good team despite laying an egg against Hoban. If Austintown can get a strong start it will be a ballgame. Hopefully the offensive and defensive lines come together now that they got ten games under their belts. Looking forward to the game.
So much for putting together their best game. Unbelievable.

So much for putting together their best game. Unbelievable.
Agreed. This program at least from my understanding is in disarray at the moment. This off-season and next year are going to have a big impact on the next 5-10 years for Fitch. If things aren’t handled well they are going to go into one of those dark holes that Warren Harding went through not long ago and some 2-8 seasons will result.

Congrats Falcons on a successful season. Good luck to all the Seniors from here on out.

That being said, horrible end to close out the season for sure! <SIGH>

T
Agreed. This program at least from my understanding is in disarray at the moment. This off-season and next year are going to have a big impact on the next 5-10 years for Fitch. If things aren’t handled well they are going to go into one of those dark holes that Warren Harding went through not long ago and some 2-8 seasons will result.

This season started badly when Robinson was run off the team, and it just got worse. There is a lot of talent on this team, but those kids may choose to go elsewhere. I hope they don't, but we all know that Harding and Ursuline will be really appealing to these kids. It's just so disappointing that they didn't even try to put up a fight. That shows me that they don't care, and that lands on Parker's hands. I hope these kids are loyal to Fitch and A-town and stick around. I also hope that Parker gets some better assistants and more discipline on the team.

Big difference tonight to me was the depth. Walsh is very deep this year, they may not have the top end talent of Hoban but they have a ton of football players. People were tip-toeing around this thread but now I think it’s realistic to say Walsh should be a legitimate favorite against Hudson. Ultimately Walsh goal should be to make it to the regional final and then go for it. That is the level of the squad this year. Payback for Hudson and then go dreaming. Great season Fitch, keep raising the level.

No. Depth had nothing to do with this game. If it did, Walsh wouldn’t have been up 30-7 before you blinked your eyes. Better players and coaches, period. People wrote off Walsh after the Hoban game but it’s safe to say Walsh is a damn good team. D2 is very much tiered. After Hoban/Massillon you have a drop off to Walsh, Avon and a couple others. Then a significant drop off from there. I saw a balanced team approach, involving both the running and passing game for Walsh. The Fitch offense did nothing outside of a gimmick play, a GREAT catch and a big run. Walsh was clearly a better team.

T

This season started badly when Robinson was run off the team, and it just got worse. There is a lot of talent on this team, but those kids may choose to go elsewhere. I hope they don't, but we all know that Harding and Ursuline will be really appealing to these kids. It's just so disappointing that they didn't even try to put up a fight. That shows me that they don't care, and that lands on Parker's hands. I hope these kids are loyal to Fitch and A-town and stick around. I also hope that Parker gets some better assistants and more discipline on the team.
Can't blame the coach for kids quitting