Week 12: #2 Steubenville Big Red vs. #10 Columbus Bishop Hartley

Who ya got?

• Total voters

RollRed

Bishop Hartley will travel to Harding Stadium for the 3rd ever meeting between the schools. Big Red and Hartley previous meetings were in the 2015 and 2016 State Championships where Hartley won both by the scores of 31-28 and 24-21

Who you got this time around??

Depending on Hartley’s injuries and with the way Big Red has played the last 5-6 weeks. I can see Big Red potentially losing in the 1st round of the real playoffs for the 4th consecutive year.

I hope I’m wrong but something is off. Hopefully they can right the ship.

So I will take Big Red 27-13.

Depending on Hartley’s injuries and with the way Big Red has played the last 5-6 weeks. I can see Big Red potentially losing in the 1st round of the real playoffs for the 4th consecutive year.

I hope I’m wrong but something is off. Hopefully they can right the ship.

So I will take Big Red 27-13.
I got Hartley in a close one. Steubenville has been too sloppy to trust of late.

I think it’s safe to say that these teams are on equal level. They are both suffering injuries so that will be no excuse this week. It will come down to who hits harder, who runs harder, who throws better, who coaches better, and most importantly who has the less mistakes. This is a toss up but If I had to chose I’m taking the Red in a 14-7 thriller.

This will be a hard hitting smack you in the mouth game but same ending as the two other meetings. Heartly wins 24-20.

This is a frustrating Big Red team to watch. Lots of talent but dropped balls and penalties have killed us. If we play a clean game and don’t have 10+ penalties I think we can win. If not, it could be an early exit from the playoffs. This team is our best shot to make a run so hopefully we can put it all together.

I agree with RollRedBuckeye. The focus has not been there the last several,weeks. I know Reno loves the effort of this team but the penalties and lack of discipline has been disappointing. Penalties will happen but the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are killers. Even the bench received an unsportsmanlike penalty last week. That cannot happen and that is a result od lack of discipline.
Dropped Passes can be contagious as was evident last week. That being said, I think the talent is there and I am hoping Big Red can put a 4 quarter game in and advance to week 13.

Big Red’s best complete game on all sides of the ball was obviously Wheeling Park. Ever since then, it seems like they have been sputtering. Hopefully that changes this week

This is a frustrating Big Red team to watch. Lots of talent but dropped balls and penalties have killed us. If we play a clean game and don’t have 10+ penalties I think we can win. If not, it could be an early exit from the playoffs. This team is our best shot to make a run so hopefully we can put it all together.
You’re correct. This Big Red senior squad has been dominant ever since middle school with over 20+ seniors on the team. They are without a doubt the most talented in the valley and maybe even in the entire D4 2nd to Glenville. But penalties and errors hurt them in big games. They were more talented than Linsly, and they might not of been more talented than Rock Creek. But they had that first quarter in full control until their wheels fell off. So I’ll say this again. If BR has a clean game, no penalties, they beat hartley and roll through the region. If not then this game may be the end of their season.

Hartley did lose their starting RB #7 this past game. I’m assuming he’s out after hearing he was on crutches

You’re correct. This Big Red senior squad has been dominant ever since middle school with over 20+ seniors on the team. They are without a doubt the most talented in the valley and maybe even in the entire D4 2nd to Glenville. But penalties and errors hurt them in big games. They were more talented than Linsly, and they might not of been more talented than Rock Creek. But they had that first quarter in full control until their wheels fell off. So I’ll say this again. If BR has a clean game, no penalties, they beat hartley and roll through the region. If not then this game may be the end of their season.
To be fair… Dominant in middle school, only would say they have been good in Highschool. 5 more weeks to go get that greatness.

To be fair… Dominant in middle school, only would say they have been good in Highschool. 5 more weeks to go get that greatness.
Correct, I was just trying to make a point that this is the biggest and probably best senior class since 2017 even with most of those seniors from years ago gone due to transferring/quitting. They have the potential they just have to unlock it.

My thoughts on the game after watching the BH vs. NL replay...

I think Big Red's D-line is a lot more aggressive than NL's, but that brings up one of my concerns. This is pretty much the same offense BH used in both 2015 & 2016, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the things that "hurt" Big Red was their aggressiveness, and on a lot of the plays they over pursued, allowing the running back to cut back, picking up a lot of yards.

Big Red's ability to both run and throw the ball should give BH fits. There were several passing plays NL should have completed that would have resulted in points(or extended the drive at the very least) that I believe Big Red should be able to convert. The Hill to Hill connection should be huge in this game. I also see a lot of Hakim Edwards getting a lot of yards on those hitch passes and end arounds! I don't think running up the middle is going to net a bunch of yards, but will be needed to draw them in and open up the pass and allow them to run to the outside. So I see Ostovich having a good bit of carries, but not a lot of yards, but Bozika on the other hand could potentially have a 150+ yard night.

On the ground BH is going to get their yards, that's what they do, but as long as Big Red doesn't over pursue and keep the running back from cutting back, the run game shouldn't hurt them too much. The QB can throw the ball and his receivers are athletic and smart, but they aren't as dangerous as some of the QB/WR combos we've seen this year so the, "tackle the pass" should work this game. If the QB attempts some of the passes he did against NL, then I see our DB's getting a couple picks, potentially leading to a pick 6.

I think the leading factor in this game will be penalties, for both teams. Each team has an issue with them and some are of the Personal Foul variety; so if the coaches don't do something to limit these, this game can get out of control really fast.

My thoughts on the game after watching the BH vs. NL replay...

I think Big Red's D-line is a lot more aggressive than NL's, but that brings up one of my concerns. This is pretty much the same offense BH used in both 2015 & 2016, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the things that "hurt" Big Red was their aggressiveness, and on a lot of the plays they over pursued, allowing the running back to cut back, picking up a lot of yards.

Big Red's ability to both run and throw the ball should give BH fits. There were several passing plays NL should have completed that would have resulted in points(or extended the drive at the very least) that I believe Big Red should be able to convert. The Hill to Hill connection should be huge in this game. I also see a lot of Hakim Edwards getting a lot of yards on those hitch passes and end arounds! I don't think running up the middle is going to net a bunch of yards, but will be needed to draw them in and open up the pass and allow them to run to the outside. So I see Ostovich having a good bit of carries, but not a lot of yards, but Bozika on the other hand could potentially have a 150+ yard night.

On the ground BH is going to get their yards, that's what they do, but as long as Big Red doesn't over pursue and keep the running back from cutting back, the run game shouldn't hurt them too much. The QB can throw the ball and his receivers are athletic and smart, but they aren't as dangerous as some of the QB/WR combos we've seen this year so the, "tackle the pass" should work this game. If the QB attempts some of the passes he did against NL, then I see our DB's getting a couple picks, potentially leading to a pick 6.

I think the leading factor in this game will be penalties, for both teams. Each team has an issue with them and some are of the Personal Foul variety; so if the coaches don't do something to limit these, this game can get out of control really fast.
I can tell you one thing….
The game will be in control by either the coaches or 300 yards in penalties from the officials.

Its round 2… Observers will be out watching. Zero funny stuff will be tolerated.

Let’s be honest. We aren’t even really bringing out the fans. Last weeks crowd was a joke.

The 60+ Year old Crowd just isn’t getting out like they use to and the young folks don’t care as much.
Maybe the milder temps this week will bring some more folks out

Does anybody know why Hartley and Ready didn't play each other?
Ready is no longer in the Central Catholic League. The long and short of it was them being in the CCL was what made the game a guarantee schedule. Ready changed leagues, and an arrangement was made for them upon leaving the CCL that they would play a particular CCL school (DeSales, Hartley, St. Charles, and Watterson) once every two years as a non-league. Basically a home-and-home. So Hartley is in the rotation, but it’s just been a minute since is was their turn at the plate.

Ready played St Charles in 18/19; Watty in 21/22; DeSales is 23/24 — expect Hartley’s turn to come 25/26.

I wonder why the Central Catholic League even exists in its current form. There just aren't enough teams. Thanks for the information.

I know there has been talk about opening a new school way up north because of the growth of Delaware County.