Week 11: Mentor @ St Ignatius

St Ignatius (6-4) vs Mentor (5-5)

• St Ignatius

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • Mentor

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
I always likened playing on Byers Field to playing in a wind tunnel. Choosing the field with the wind at your back in the fourth quarter might prove vital if winning the game comes down to a field goal. Also the first Mentor game turned on the fact that the Ignatius kicker was unable to send the ball into the end zone.
Sounds like could be a cross wind...out of east or ne, which would be coming from the home side across the field

Mentor really could have won this game. They have the talent, but its not used well. Let's hope that changes are made in the off season.

Too many missed tackles by Mentor. I thought they would have moved Harper around more mixing him in at WR instead of playing almost exclusively at RB

Too many missed tackles by Mentor. I thought they would have moved Harper around more mixing him in at WR instead of playing almost exclusively
What beat Mentor again? The run up the middle and not defending it well or making tackles when the defender finally got there. With the exception of of #35 there was no one to stop that.

Play calling was the best I’ve seen all year in the third quarter, and became way too conservative in the 4th quarter once Pfaff left. They did just enough to win, but 22 points in the 4th quarter is unacceptable in a playoff game. That was the worst the Defense played all season.

Play calling was the best I’ve seen all year in the third quarter, and became way too conservative in the 4th quarter once Pfaff left. They did just enough to win, but 22 points in the 4th quarter is unacceptable in a playoff game. That was the worst the Defense played all season.
I think Iggy’s defensive game plan was don’t let Harper win the game by himself. Same plan Mentor needed against Lenehan. Mentor needed to mix in more passes in the 1st half to counter Iggy concentrating on Harper.
Vernon’s play has been baffling all season other than the Strongsville game when the Notre Dame defensive coach came to watch him.

Last edited:
I think Iggy’s defensive game plan was don’t let Harper win the game by himself. Same plan Mentor needed against Lenehan. Mentor needed to mix in more passes in the 1st half to counter Iggy concentrating on Harper.
Vermin’s play has been baffling all season other than the Strongsville game when the Notre Dame defensive coach came to watch him.
Hats off to Snow and Norwood. Nearly unbeatable combo.

When the score was 35-10, I was thinking that one more Ignatius TD would result in a running clock. I obviously underestimated the grit of Mentor and overestimated the the strength of the Ignatius defense.

Way under, no more than 300 on the Mentor side
I won't doubt it, but that seems unfathomable. Mentor has what 80-plus players on the team and then a couple hundred in the band. I would figure that alone would add up to 300 to 400 in just parents. I was only a couple miles down the road, but the weather was not that bad. I was an idiot and only wore a heavy sweatshirt (did double up on the socks) and while I couldn't wait for the game to end, it wasn't too unbearable. Oh well, seems like a lot of people missed what sounds like ended up being a very good and wild game. That one was definitely getting the most reaction when the PA announcers were doing updates.

Last edited:
I won't doubt it, but that seems unfathomable. Mentor has what 80-plus players on the team and then a couple hundred in the band. I would figure that alone would add up to 300 to 400 in just parents. I was only a couple miles down the road, but the weather was not that bad. I was an idiot and only wore a heavy sweatshirt (did double up on the socks) and while I couldn't wait for the game to end, it wasn't too unbearable. Oh well, seems like a lot of people missed what sounds like ended up being a very good and wild game. That one was definitely getting the most reaction when the PA announcers were doing updates.
This was late 1st quarter...
1635587494705.png

The first half wasn’t bad. Mentor hung in there, kept it close. The defense wasn’t good, but they did just enough. The offense put together a great opening drive, but had to settle for a field goal. The only other score in the first three quarters was Harper taking a carry off tackle and just bursting down the sidelines. Not much consistent offense for Mentor until they got desperate in the 4th.

With the game just 14-10 at halftime, Mentor had every reason to believe they could win. Unfortunately, that third quarter was one of the worst playoff quarters I’ve seen. Has St Ignatius, a mediocre offense at best by their standard, scored three touchdowns in a quarter this season? Mentor’s defense really let them down that quarter. The offense and special teams did too. I think you could’ve swapped out Mentor for Eastlake North in that third quarter and you wouldn’t have noticed a difference offensively, defensively, and on special teams.

Good for the offense for showing some life in the 4th. Unfortunately, they ran out of time and timeouts. Amazingly they were an onside kick recovery away. I imagine St Ignatius let off the gas for the first and probably second score.

I am curious what Ignatius people think of Snow and Vernon. This is Snow’s fifth game back from the broken hand. Even though he’s a junior, this is Vernon’s 30th (at least) varsity start.

Snow is solid, but he does not appear to be at the level of the few elite Mentor QBs of the past 15 years that have given us headaches like Tanski, Trubisky, Tatarunas, and that one kid from your 13’ squad.

Vernon seemed to be a non-factor in this game. I saw the film of the week 3 game at St. Eds and I thought he was overmatched.

As far as the game from last night goes, I thought Ignatius would win since it’s very difficult in a rivalry type game to beat a team twice in one year, especially when they are matched relatively even. I think all of the Playoff wins Mentor has had over Ignatius in the past decade in 12, 13, and 17, came after regular season season losses to the Wildcats. Both playoff wins for Ignatius over Mentor in 11 and 21 have come after regular season defeats at Mentor in week 2. Ignatius has also been improving as the year has gone on and Mentor had seemed stagnant. I know that Mentor had to deal with a ton of injuries from week 3 on and that is probably why they lost more games in the regular season than they should of.

Both squads had their quarter in the second half where they dominated. To me, the offense for Ignatius really changed and became very conservative and predictable once Pfaff left the game. This was the best game Pfaff has looked to me all season by the way. He seemed to have significantly regressed in his game since last year, and this was the first game all year he looks anything close to the QB of a year ago. What really concerns me is the defense giving up 3 touchdowns and being picked apart through the air with multiple big yardage plays in the 4th quarter of a playoff game. The defense has been the overall strength of the team all year and did a great job in this game for the first 3 quarters, but they really had a let down in the 4th quarter. Mentor wasn’t doing anything different, the D just wasn’t making plays. But the momentum did really appear to swing back to Mentor once Pfaff left the field and they were unable to move the ball as well. They did just enough at the end to secure that win, but we would all be talking about another loss to Mentor in the playoffs in a game that should have been won had Mentor recovered that onside kick.

But that said, they won. The losing streak to the Cardinals is officially over. Now it’s time to focus on Stow.

Last edited:
Surprised by the score. Stow up next, they got a shot?
I would first say that matchups are always a key to who wins games. Stow does not matchup well with Iggy. Their D1 Qb is out, they don't throw it very much, and if you stop their very talented RB, Stow is done. Ignatius has a defense that is prepared to stop 1 player. Ignatius may or may not have their Qb as he did out hurt. That could play a factor. But I still don't see Stow having any real shot. (IMHO).

Last edited: